Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 12:50 PM

5,158 posts, read 3,767,024 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 07:54 PM

151 posts, read 195,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
I think you might be able to find bagels at other bakeries but in general you need to get bagels at a separate bagel place. Everyone already mentioned the actual proper bakeries. Loaf is my fave and La Farm's house sourdough is fantastic though I haven't been to the bakery itself. Utica for an Italian bakery.

I'll also go rogue and direct you to: Wegmans.
And since I'm mentioning Wegmans I'll toss in Weaver Street because their bagels are good, but of course neither of those places are bakeries, they just have bakeries.

I can't say I've been to all of them but I do find some of the recommendations a bit pricey for what it is. Some are too focussed on sweets/speciality breads but maybe I didn't check them out properly

Wegmans is good! Doesn't have the variety but the bread is really good and within my budget. Great taste too. Their sourdough is awesome

Old 01-26-2022, 07:57 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
You mean biscuits yeah?
"proper"...sorry, I read it "prah-puh", kind of like a British accent.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
It's funny that you mention Rockland Bakery. My parents are former New Yorkers who just moved to in an Independent Living outside of Philadelphia, and that's where the community gets their breads from. Our cousins live in Rockland County and love that bakery, so my mother was aware of it and was excited to get some "good New York bread."

There isn't really anything like that here. Others have mentioned the big ones. So far, my favorite breads are from Weaver Street Market. If you go the supermarket route, I'm not crazy about Wegman's bakery. The stuff looks really good, but doesn't taste as good as it looks. I think Publix is better.

Yeah I haven't found anything similar and it's quite disappointing. I think the area lacks something like that really.

I personally like wegmans. Publix is a little far so haven't tried theirs but will give it a try.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Yeah I hate when people say this - I mean, I don't mind the question if you're looking for something specific (and sympathize if you can't) but I don't think bakeries are a one size fits all term and there are different variations around the country and world

The dictionary definition of a bakery is a place where "breads, cakes and other baked goods are made or sold" so a place that sells cakes with bread would still be a bakery.

Well the definition of restaurant is "a place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises." so McDonalds would count as well I suppose.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:04 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,229,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese_cakes View Post
Yeah I haven't found anything similar and it's quite disappointing. I think the area lacks something like that really.

I personally like wegmans. Publix is a little far so haven't tried theirs but will give it a try.
is there more than 1 Rockland Bakery? Google tells me West Nyack/Nanuet NY?

Old 01-26-2022, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
is there more than 1 Rockland Bakery? Google tells me West Nyack/Nanuet NY?

I think there are a few and they supply. Just google them then click on the images. All kinds of fresh breads and cookies. most bakeries I find here have more of a cafe/dine in focus.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:17 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times
Quote:
I think there are a few and they supply. Just google them then click on the images. All kinds of fresh breads and cookies. most bakeries I find here have more of a cafe/dine in focus.
Go to the La Farm in Downtown Cary. It's definitely not a cafe/dine in focus, at least not the last time I was there.

I don't understand why it really matters, but it's literally a warehouse type building where they do baking, and a few seats.

Old 01-26-2022, 08:31 PM

6,656 posts, read 5,596,543 times
Quote:
Well the definition of restaurant is "a place where people pay to sit and eat meals that are cooked and served on the premises." so McDonalds would count as well I suppose.
it may be a restaurant but it's certainly not a "proper restaurant"

Old 01-26-2022, 08:41 PM

598 posts, read 333,605 times
Quote:
Most areas lack something very similar to Rockland Bakery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary