Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 09:21 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,879,843 times

Advertisements

It's part take-out bakery, part restaurant supply, hence their size, variety, and daily stock. They service a lot of local restaurants as well. Mostly bread, and some very good pecan and other pies, plus a separate pastry section. Most of their stuff is very good, some on the dry side. There's only one. Always crowded. Like being in a bread factory. Industrial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2022, 05:10 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,631,900 times
Yeah after looking at the Rockland website, I feel like you want LaFarm. I buy their bread at Whole Foods a lot.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:19 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,179,597 times
Using the word "proper" implies that the ONLY real bakery is the way you define it, which is according to your NY expectation. What is offensive is that you brought this singular definition with you to NORTH CAROLINA. The further implication that we Southerners don't know what a good, real bakery is. THAT is what we find offensive

A bakery can specialize in bread or cakes or pastries or biscuits. It can sell food on the side. "There are more things in Heaven and Earth than are dreamt of in your philosophy, Horatio."

Think about where you are and the context.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:34 AM

4,176 posts, read 2,889,834 times
Y’all, that’s how New Yorkers talk. Play nice.

Old 01-27-2022, 06:57 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,631,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Y’all, that’s how New Yorkers talk. Play nice.
Yeah...I'm not freaking offended. God, the pearl clutching sometimes on here.

The poster wants a bakery that's not a restaurant. By "proper" bakery he meant "bakery that is not a restaurant"

There was actually another poster in the replies that was more judgmental but for some reason this guy is getting slaughtered.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:11 AM

22,724 posts, read 36,937,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NM posts View Post
Yeah...I'm not freaking offended. God, the pearl clutching sometimes on here.

Seriously. It's one word for crying out loud.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:44 AM

599 posts, read 334,863 times
I just think the OP will be happier if they adjust their expectations for finding a place very similar to Rockland Bakery around here. It sounds like they want a plainly utilitarian bakery that does not assign themselves any kind of artisanal image, with prices to match.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:54 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,395,503 times
I thought the way the post was phrased was insulting. I think it would be good if the OP took a second to think before they post if they plan on staying here and living here so they aren't thought of as a rude New Yorker.

A way to phrase the question without being rude about it would be something like,

"I'm looking for a bakery that sells fresh off the rack loaves, buns, bagels that you can bag and take home and isn't so much of a coffee shop. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of something like Rockland Bakery in NY if anyone is familiar with."

Instead of all the insults in the original post. The insults didn't add anything to the content of the question.

Quote:
Any proper bakeries in the area for fresh breads/rolls?

For some reason "bakery" around here means a coffee shop or a place that sells sandwiches, cakes and some bread on the side.

I'm talking about a proper bakery. Something like rockland bakery in NY if anyone knows it. Fresh off the rack loafs, buns, bagels, that you can bag and take home .
I mean, that's^ just insulting and impolite, really.

And I think LaFarm is a great suggestion. Weaver Street has fantastic breads and pastries. Ninth Street in Durham is also great. There are many great bakeries here. We love the farmer's markets for fresh bread too.

Old 01-27-2022, 07:56 AM

1,342 posts, read 733,992 times
Another person here not even remotely offended by the use of "proper." Maybe it's all my British TV watching, but it seemed clear the OP just meant a bakery that was simply a bakery. I didn't take it as a value judgement or insult.

Given some of the bakeries I've been to when visiting the NJ/NY area that are fairly practical and have a huge selection and the smaller often cafe type (and often a little bougie) bakeries that seem more common here, it seemed like a fair question. I think we have some great bakeries here though, most of which have already been mentioned, but I can definitely see the appeal of a place like Rockland and wish we had something like that here too.

Old 01-27-2022, 09:32 AM

22,724 posts, read 36,937,776 times
The only thing that's rude is automatically assuming someone from NY or anywhere north of the M-D line is trying to be rude in their phraseology. Maybe he just got back from London!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary