Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:23 PM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Concrete can be placed on the steep driveways we often have, where asphalt cannot, or will not hold.
Hrm...that sounds opposite of what I would expect. Concrete starts out liquid, so it's going to flow downhill before it gets a chance to set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 05:32 PM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Hrm...that sounds opposite of what I would expect. Concrete starts out liquid, so it's going to flow downhill before it gets a chance to set.
Concrete is a slurry mix, not liquid. It can be fairly cohesive and still meet specs. Also concrete can be retained by forms and handled in various ways to stay on the slope.
Paving contractors will not warranty asphalt on steep slopes because it can separate and slide down the hill, or be pulled down the hill by vehicles. Our summer heat will increase the failure rate.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:45 AM

201 posts, read 611,290 times
I have used a product with more than limited success for this problem. It's called Jasco concrete and lighten. Got it at Home Depot.After I apply it I powerwash it off. Results will probably mimic what the brake cleaner accomplishes. Treated a stain a year ago and with the additional help of weathering you have to really look to see the stain today.

Old 01-06-2007, 11:50 PM

553 posts, read 2,331,341 times
Believe it or not, cat litter. The rough chunky stuff. The Army called it Dry sweep but we all knew it was cat litter. Drop it on the spot, grind it in with your foot and sweep. Best if you do it right away. Works pretty good but not perfect. Once it has been sitting for a long time the only thing I found that works is a product called mela magic by a company called Melaleuca. Beware that this is a multi level marketing company! I think you can buy directly however and not have to deal with someone trying to sign you up. www.melaleuca.com
Perhaps GUNK engine degreaser would also work (auto parts stores)??

Old 01-07-2007, 09:19 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,405,822 times
^ Yup, but make sure it's traditional cat litter. That new "clumping" stuff will paste itself to any moisture it hits!

Old 09-10-2007, 12:20 AM

12 posts, read 21,800 times
Default do brick pavers

very easy to maintain, and you can remove individual pavers that could be problems..

its a little more expensice than the others but its pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc_green1974 View Post
I take a lot of pride in my new home and I have a problem that is driving me nuts. My wife and I both drive older model cars and despite getting them recently repaired we still have very minor oil leaks that leave dime sized oil stains on our new concrete driveway when leave them parked over night. When we were shopping for homes I was always turned off by homes with huge oil stains in the driveway. Maybe I am just picky, but it drove me nuts. And now I feel like our place will look like one of them (Oh the Humanity !) We aren’t leaking huge amounts of oil, but over a few years I imagine all these “dime sized spots” will add up and make our driveway look just as bad. How do other people deal with / repair this when they sell their homes. Is there someway to resurface the driveway? I know there are cleansers that claim to remove these stains but I hear most don’t really work, and I don’t see the point in doing it now as our cars will continue to periodically leak anyway and putting soemthing under the cars to absorb the oil is almost as unsighlty as the oil staisn themselves! Anyway, if any of you realtors have ever had to deal with a client trying to sell a house plagued with an oil stained driveway and have recommendations on what they did to fix the problem please share it with the rest of us.

By the way, why are all the driveways here in NC concrete anyway? Is it because asphalt would get too hot in the summer? I miss having a black asphalt driveway that would hide such minor leaks. Although concrete looks nice, any minor flaw really sticks out!

Old 09-10-2007, 06:01 AM

2,835 posts, read 7,339,535 times
This is my understanding, cars parked in the same spots on asphalt driveways would create sink spots under them due to the summer heat. One would have to spend more dollars on the driveway base to stop it from sinking so concreate is used.

I used the epoxy paint on my garage floor and it works great for oil leaks, they wipe right up! Best $100 I spent!

Old 09-10-2007, 06:26 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
I'm surprised colored concrete isn't used more often for driveways, so auto fluids and stains are much less noticeable.

Some sample colors - Davis Colors™: Mix-Ready® Color Card

Old 09-10-2007, 06:45 AM

310 posts, read 1,714,996 times
How about concrete sealer? Doesn't it make it easier to clean the spots?

Old 09-10-2007, 09:04 AM

820 posts, read 2,787,022 times
Honestly with the heat we're having I'd be most worried about the oil leak than the stains on the driveway! If you consider any of some of the methods mentioned for future protection I'd consult the HOA (if you have one). Either way good luck with the removal, and fixing the leak!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary