Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Long Islanders in Mebane or Hillsborough, North Carolina transplants, rural and blue collar Mebane, Chapel Hill, South Durham, Wake County, school systems, Durham excellent school district

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:39 PM

50 posts, read 196,255 times

Advertisements

Any Long Islanders in Mebane or Hillsborough?
Curious if there are any fellow Long Islanders living in the Mebane or Hillsborough area. Seriously contemplating a move there and would love to know what you think of it and if you are happy with your move. Would also love to know what area you are from on Long Island and how, or if, NC compares.

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 10:56 PM

32 posts, read 92,352 times
Forget Mebane, too rural and blue collar. Hillsbor. is ok, but why not Chapel Hill, South Durham (along I-40).

Old 05-21-2008, 09:19 AM

Can't afford Chapel Hill. And I heard Durham schools are not good. Trying to stay out of Wake County too because of their crazy school system. Narrowed it down to Mebane or Hillsborough.

Old 05-21-2008, 09:23 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeezed out View Post
Any Long Islanders in Mebane or Hillsborough?
Curious if there are any fellow Long Islanders living in the Mebane or Hillsborough area. Seriously contemplating a move there and would love to know what you think of it and if you are happy with your move. Would also love to know what area you are from on Long Island and how, or if, NC compares.

Thank you!
I'm sure there are, they just might not be on this forum. I don't know much about those two areas. Where will you be working? Depending on where you land a job it might be a long drive. Those two areas might be good if your Job is in Chapel Hill or Durham, but I certainly wouldn't want to have to commute to Raleigh every day from there. If you are trying to avoid Wake County but are looking for affordable places I would look at Johsnton County (Clayton). I would also not discount the offerings in Durham. Some areas in Durham have excellent schools.

Good Luck!

Old 05-21-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I'm sure there are, they just might not be on this forum. I don't know much about those two areas. Where will you be working? Depending on where you land a job it might be a long drive. Those two areas might be good if your Job is in Chapel Hill or Durham, but I certainly wouldn't want to have to commute to Raleigh every day from there. If you are trying to avoid Wake County but are looking for affordable places I would look at Johsnton County (Clayton). I would also not discount the offerings in Durham. Some areas in Durham have excellent schools.

Good Luck!
I've heard that Johnston County schools still practice corporal punishment with the students so I am staying clear of that. But in regards to Hillsborough, do you know roughly what the commute would be to Raleigh? My husband will be working in and around that area. He now commutes
1 1/2 to 2 hours into Manhattan from LI, so anything less than that is better but a half-hour commute is a dream! Thanks.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:
I've heard that Johnston County schools still practice corporal punishment with the students so I am staying clear of that.
You know, I'm no authority on Clayton area schools, but I would double check that if I were you. I certainly never heard that one before. Perhaps one of the Clayton residents on this forum can chime in.

Quote:
But in regards to Hillsborough, do you know roughly what the commute would be to Raleigh? My husband will be working in and around that area. He now commutes 1 1/2 to 2 hours into Manhattan from LI, so anything less than that is better but a half-hour commute is a dream!
So much depends on where in Raleigh you are talking about. I know where I work in Downtown Raleigh it would easily take hour to get there from Hillsborough. Now if you are talking about a location in Raleigh out by the Airport area you might be able to do that in 30-35 minutes, but that is just a guess on my part.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:25 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
So much depends on where in Raleigh you are talking about. I know where I work in Downtown Raleigh it would easily take hour to get there from Hillsborough. Now if you are talking about a location in Raleigh out by the Airport area you might be able to do that in 30-35 minutes, but that is just a guess on my part.
NRG, this sounds about right to me. I had to drive from Hillsborough to the area around Crabtree Mall in Raleigh a couple of times. Even in off-peak hours, it took me about an hour.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:58 PM

431 posts, read 1,338,296 times
We are from long island and are planning to move to Clayton.......I've done alot of research and from what I've read there is no corporal punishment...it was done away with......any and all info I've also gotten from old and new residents of Clayton have nothing but absolutely great things to say about the school systems......I also have a friend who moved to Clayton who grew up in Bay Shore and sold her home in Jericho and loves the schools/area also........

Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
We are from long island and are planning to move to Clayton.......I've done alot of research and from what I've read there is no corporal punishment...it was done away with......any and all info I've also gotten from old and new residents of Clayton have nothing but absolutely great things to say about the school systems......I also have a friend who moved to Clayton who grew up in Bay Shore and sold her home in Jericho and loves the schools/area also........
Great. Thanks for the info. And just as an FYI, I did not read about the coporal punishment on this site -- I googled it and found the States and Counties that still practice it. Johnston and Franklin were on the list.

Old 05-22-2008, 12:21 AM

431 posts, read 1,338,296 times
Squeezed out......ya know what.......I applologize.....I just relooked it up and the current info I found dated April 28, 2008 says that Johnston Cnty does still allow it...

God......We were originally looking in Wake and then did the switch with all the instability with the schools I didnt want my kids having to deal w.that after a move........

That was a big deal to me and so was looking up the corporal punishment issue....I can't believe that I just assumed Johnston was also...(actually I thought I had checked it out) Guess I didnt .....

Obviously I will do more reading on it.....but I will say.....We were down there around presidents week so it was in Feb....and we really liked the whole area.....we're getting our house ready to put it on the market and my husband is working on getting his retirement from NYPD........so we want to be there....

Everyone I've spoken w/only has good things to say about the school district.....I think there has been one or two schools mentioned to me to stay clear of but other than those I've been told that you can't go wrong with the rest.......and I haven't heard one thing mentioned about the corporal punishent and as I said I've been speaking with plenty of transplants from here and up north in general where it would be an issue since its not anything we're used to and its never come up........

so maybe its still in place on the books but not in place if that makes sense.....(I hope) I will ask more and post back also......but there's usually plenty of Claytonites who usually chime in with great info.....think some have been in hiding lately...........

Good luck with your search and sorry about the misinformation earlier...

PS I'm in west islip....

Suzanne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary