U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:22 PM

14 posts, read 56,782 times

Advertisements

I've been focusing on my older son who is entering kindergarten and trying to figure out which schools are best (still haven't figured that out yet!). I'm not sure I like all the redistricting in Wake County. But what about preschools? I have boy/girl twins who turned 3yrs in April and are ready for at least two half-days. Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 10:31 PM

1,395 posts, read 4,876,445 times
My daughter goes to Triangle Academy Preschool. I have been very happy with the school. We chose it because it was not affiliated with any type of church & it isn't a daycare. The tuition is more $$ than a typical church preschool, but less than daycare preschool.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:26 AM

448 posts, read 1,279,560 times
If you're looking at church-based (definitely the most affordable), you'll probably be put on waiting lists at this point (registration was in Feb/March). We were on a wait list last year, and did get in, but didn't know for sure until the week before school started.

As far as what's "good," it really depends on what you want - some are quite religious; some just meet in a church, and maybe say a blessing before snack; some are focused on play/social development, while others are more academic. Some to look into: Sunrise United Methodist in Holly Springs; APPLE Seeds at Abiding Presence Lutheran in Fuquay; Pleasant Grove Baptist in Fuquay; Colonial Baptist in Cary; Woodhaven Baptist and Grace Church, both on Kildaire Farm (not sure if address is Apex or Cary now); St. Francis United Methodist in Cary; Fuquay Methodist and Fuquay Baptist. I've known people at most of these, who have been happy with them, but again, they do have significant differences, so you would need to decide which ones you would be comfortable with, and I'd recommend getting on the wait lists at several.

Old 05-21-2008, 06:48 AM

29 posts, read 113,510 times
My daughter goes to Kiddie Academy in Holly Springs. She loves going there, adores her teacher, and enjoys the other children. And for me, the fact that she's happy is really enough, but she has been sponging up all kinds of things (letters, sight words, Spanish).

It's new, so the facilities are very nice and modern. They do teach to the NC kindergarten curriculum and I've had two parent-teacher conferences this year to discuss her progress.

I'm not sure what you're looking for (church affiliated or more academically focused, for example) but it's definitely worth a look-see. The owners are super-great. Tell them Skye's mom sent you!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:29 AM

178 posts, read 1,197,289 times
you might also consider the Goddard School and/or the Learning Experience, both of which are in Holly Springs, and the Primrose School at Westlake (which is technically in Apex but closer to Holly Springs)....all are similar in quality to the Kiddie Academy.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:34 AM

14 posts, read 56,782 times
Thanks for the input! I think I'd like a non-religious based preschool, not so academically focused, but social-cognitive, if that makes sense! In the northeast, there aren't many religious-based preschools, and most are private and very expensive. Wait lists start a year in advance! We are registered for a preschool here that my other son is just finishing up and we love it, but we may end up in NC after all! I'll definitely look into the ones that were mentioned. Thanks!

Old 05-21-2008, 12:09 PM

1,395 posts, read 4,876,445 times
Triangle Academy Preschool is for 07-08 school year $310 a month for 3 days from 9am to 1pm. You pack a lunch for them & they provide a snack. It is in Cary, but a short drive from Apex & Holly Springs.

Old 05-21-2008, 01:31 PM

52 posts, read 194,300 times
We looked into Fuquay Methodist (first choice, on waiting list but did not get in). Ended up with Pleasant Grove Baptist in Fuquay, nothing but great things about their program. Our youngest will be going there in two years.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:42 PM

153 posts, read 442,234 times
I can answer this! Appleseeds Preschool at the Abiding Presense Lutheran church on Sunset Lake Rd. My children attended the 4's class and all I have to say is great things. Its well known in the area. Not easy to get into since the class sizes are small, but worth a try. They went to Holly Springs Learning center in their 3's, but learned nothing...just play. I believe Appleseeds has alot to do with the fact that they both are reading well over grade level in Kindergarten. Not to mention that its half the price of HSLC. I can't say enough good things. We don't attend church, but it was no problem.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:43 PM

153 posts, read 442,234 times
PS...I have b/g twins too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary