Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2022, 03:14 PM

6 posts, read 7,043 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We live in West Cary and our kid got enrolled in AB Combs Magnet school (In Raleigh about 20 miles from where we live).
AB Combs only provide express pick up and ours is about 10 miles away. We have 3 options

1) Use School vans for door to door pickup
2) Use express pick option and drop kid on our own
3) Carpool

I am interested in option 1 and 3. It is not possible for me to pickup and drop my kid everyday for express bus pickup.

How can I reach out to Van drivers to know pricing and pickup and drop time details?
Is there any app for Carpooling? What is the best way to connect with other parents ?

Do I have any other options? How are other parents managing this ?

Last edited by ronaldo0000; 03-01-2022 at 03:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 03:51 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,184,368 times
Congratulations!!! Combs is an excellent magnet school. I’d recommend joining the Combs parents FB group. My daughter has some classmates that carpool from Cary/Apex.

I’m not familiar with the van options.

Old 03-01-2022, 04:33 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
What school vans are you talking about? Are you sure this is offered? I've only seen it for special ed kids and the drivers are not the greatest.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:34 PM

129 posts, read 115,945 times
Most schools have a carpool/map sign-up. We’re at a charter, but I’m always behind 2 large white vans dropping off kids from Cary/Apex. I can’t recall the transportation company name, it’s subtle and I never paid close attention, but there are options out there if you find families to coordinate with. Are those the vans you mean? It’s private companies hired by families.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:40 PM

By school vans I mean privately hired drivers who come with vans and pick your kids. They expect minimum 10 kids to provide service like this.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
What school vans are you talking about? Are you sure this is offered? I've only seen it for special ed kids and the drivers are not the greatest.

By school vans I mean privately hired drivers who come with vans and pick your kids. They expect minimum 10 kids to provide service like this & they charge you some money every month.

Old 05-26-2022, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by art322 View Post
Most schools have a carpool/map sign-up. We’re at a charter, but I’m always behind 2 large white vans dropping off kids from Cary/Apex. I can’t recall the transportation company name, it’s subtle and I never paid close attention, but there are options out there if you find families to coordinate with. Are those the vans you mean? It’s private companies hired by families.
How can I connect with these families? should I drive to school and try to look to these transportation companies?

Old 05-26-2022, 03:18 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo0000 View Post
How can I connect with these families? should I drive to school and try to look to these transportation companies?
Have you considered getting in touch with the actual school and asking them? Or the PTA/PTSA/PTO? Instead of asking on a random internet forum?

Old 05-27-2022, 10:09 AM

4,161 posts, read 4,875,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaldo0000 View Post
Hi All,

We live in West Cary and our kid got enrolled in AB Combs Magnet school (In Raleigh about 20 miles from where we live).
AB Combs only provide express pick up and ours is about 10 miles away. We have 3 options

1) Use School vans for door to door pickup
2) Use express pick option and drop kid on our own
3) Carpool

I am interested in option 1 and 3. It is not possible for me to pickup and drop my kid everyday for express bus pickup.

How can I reach out to Van drivers to know pricing and pickup and drop time details?
Is there any app for Carpooling? What is the best way to connect with other parents ?

Do I have any other options? How are other parents managing this ?
Check the express bus stops again. Ten miles seems to fall outside the norm and there may be something closer than you think. Carpooling is kind of iffy because you're depending on people to be reliable and responsible for the safety of your child.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:34 PM

7 posts, read 4,186 times
Bumping this post to see if anyone could share experience/recommendations with School Vans/Privately run company for school transportation.

We are considering magnet school as well. The school currently offers school bus to our neighborhood, but the ride takes very long. Interested in learning alternatives. Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary