Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 03:36 PM

3,390 posts, read 7,743,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
So why does the south need any particular flag or symbol for their region? There is no flag or symbol for New England (probably the most distinct and defined region of the US), the Mid-Atlantic, Midwest, West Coast, Plains or any other region. I don't understand why the south needs its own flag.
The South was a very distinct and defined region up until very recent times. For many (not me) flying the Confederate Flag is an attempt to not lose that distinct character.

Unlike those other regions, the South actually seceded from the Union and formed another nation that was subsequently invaded by the Union and conquered. The current Confederate Flag was based on several flags used during the war, but is not an exact version of any used in the war. It was created and grew in popularity as a symbol protesting Northern political dominance. There was a lot of resentment over not only being attacked and forced to rejoin the Union, but also of the carpetbagging and other behavior after the war. The flag was actually outlawed (in violation of free speech), further infuriating those in the South, who continued to keep it alive in protest of the treatment by the North.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:42 PM

478 posts, read 2,042,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
The Confederate Flag was that symbol as was not considered offensive until around the 1980s when guys like Jesse Jackson started looking for something to rail against to rationalize his existence.
You state your opinions as if they are fact (which they are not).

If you never found a symbol and/or flag offensive, say so. Do not speak for other people.

There have been too many instances of people in this nation who have no voice. And it doesn't help when others believe they can speak for them.

Sorry you seem very bitter, especially to reduce a human being to inventing a reason to justify their life. Sad!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Comparing to the swastika is pretty silly. There is no Nazi heritage outside of a horrible fascist regime that invaded other lands and killed millions.
Where do you get these ideas?

You appear to be unaware of, as you call it, 'Nazi heritage'. Perhaps in your life you see no remnants of Third Reich. Again, you do not speak for millions who absolutely experience this, or even identify with the values promoted by those who called themselves, 'Nazis'.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:50 PM

OK, I should have said "was not widely considered offensive". It was not until the Eighties until Jackson and NAACP started making the flag into a big issue.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muse1110 View Post
Where do you get these ideas?

You appear to be unaware of, as you call it, 'Nazi heritage'. Perhaps in your life you see no remnants of Third Reich. Again, you do not speak for millions who absolutely experience this, or even identify with the values promoted by those who called themselves, 'Nazis'.
I think you are completely misunderstanding my post. There is no Nazi heritage outside of the hate. There is Southern heritage outside of Slavery.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:54 PM

3,353 posts, read 4,946,239 times
Quote:
OK, I should have said "was not widely considered offensive". It was not until the Eighties until Jackson and NAACP started making the flag into a big issue.
...or maybe you just didn't hear about it being an issue until the 80s? Big difference.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:55 PM

414 posts, read 1,255,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrank2109 View Post
As a native South Carolinian your friend is mistaken. Yes they fly the confederate flag at the confederate memorial on the SC state house grounds and they until recently flew it on top of the state house, but to say that segregation exists, especially in Columbia is a bunch of BS. I would argue that there are just as many racists where ever you are from as there are in the South - read the posts regarding Wake County schools from parents moving into this area and you will get my point.
I agree with you.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
Leave it to a bunch of Canadians to give voice to the Southern zeitgeist.
'well, i hope neil young will remember a southern man don't need him around anyhow'

seems to be a pattern...

Old 05-21-2008, 04:07 PM

13 posts, read 35,567 times
As a foreigner myself I noticed that North Carolina is quite diverse in cultures. Most of the rural areas haven't changed much over the years whereas several "pockets" are very diverse and highly educated ( RTP being one, along with Greensboro and Charlotte areas) Asheville has lots of mountain types and yet, it also has many new age people.

The confederate flag to me is more historical than anything else.

Old 05-21-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
The Confederate Flag was that symbol as was not considered offensive until around the 1980s when guys like Jesse Jackson started looking for something to rail against to rationalize his existence.

Again, it's confusing why you would post your opinions as if they are fact. The Confederate States flags (it isn't just one flag) were most definitely an issue during the Civil Rights Movement. This is mid 1950's to late 1960's, generally speaking (according to U.S. historians).

Maybe you're mistaking Jesse Jackson's role in the U.S. Civil Rights Movement with what you remember watching on television during 1980's?

But to post something that is factually false doesn't do any good for the discussion. Just as the Confederate States' flags are widely misunderstood and simplified instead of being acknowledged for their complex history, you're posting things which can only be explained by your own misunderstanding of U.S. history.

Or you have an agenda to promote here. Which is also not helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary