Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2022, 11:15 AM

43,458 posts, read 77,435,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
More skunks are moving into this area. Starting to see quite a few in northern Wake where they were extremely rare in the past. Several dead ones in the last few weeks on Bruce Garner Road and Hwy 98 between 50 and Wake Forest.
I had a HS buddy run over one one night, and it got hung up under the car. He said it was an Intense Experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2022, 12:14 PM

5,233 posts, read 3,822,542 times
Sometimes it doesn't all come out in the wash.

Old 03-05-2022, 08:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,400,721 times
Really it’s probably weed. Skunks are definitely in the area but more in the rural areas. I have smelled weed more in the past few years than I ever have before. Got behind a car at the ATM that was hot-boxing weed not too long ago!

Old 03-06-2022, 06:31 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,955,195 times
While it very well could be weed (especially reading posts in our local Nextdoor), we do have skunks in suburbia here in our area of North Raleigh.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:33 AM

43,458 posts, read 77,435,858 times
Are we overlooking the possibility that it's skunks smoking weed?

Old 03-06-2022, 07:33 AM

5,913 posts, read 7,022,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Really it’s probably weed. Skunks are definitely in the area but more in the rural areas. I have smelled weed more in the past few years than I ever have before. Got behind a car at the ATM that was hot-boxing weed not too long ago!
Have you ever been near a skunk that has sprayed? It is a smell you instantly recognize and don't ever forget. I have never smelled weed like that.

Old 03-06-2022, 07:48 AM

6,484 posts, read 9,867,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don6170 View Post
Have you ever been near a skunk that has sprayed? It is a smell you instantly recognize and don't ever forget. I have never smelled weed like that.
I doubt a skunk is making regular rounds in his area, you don't smell it unless it sprays, so if it isnt weed, how is it coming and going around him so often spraying? lol smh

Old 03-06-2022, 08:31 AM

5,481 posts, read 6,129,052 times
Granted, I don't live in the Triangle area, but up here in WNC we smell skunk quite often in the summer months. They are nocturnal creatures without the greatest eyesight, so if they a perceive a threat, then spray a bit. It can be smelled for 2 or 3 miles depending upon the wind or lack of it. Once they've sprayed a few times, then need a few days to "replenish" their supply.
I have also noticed when a young skunk leaves droppings in my yard, it smells. The older one's don't seem to leave that smell, maybe the younger ones haven't master complete control of their scent gland.

Not much of a weed expert, but doubt I'd mistake a skunk for a nocturnal smoker cruising through my property at 2am.

Old 03-06-2022, 09:41 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,400,721 times
Quote:
Yes many times and the smell lingers for days and weeks sometimes. If it's an ephemeral smell it's more likely to be weed, not skunk. And yes, I have smelled weed that smelled just like skunk — at some apartments in Durham as a matter of fact. Went over there to visit and when I got out of the car, I thought, "dang that smells like a skunk", and then a half second later I thought "doh that is weed, not a skunk!"

I smell actual skunks frequently this time of year when I drive out on 54 west of Carrboro. They get hit all the time and you will smell them for miles on either side of their little corpses and for days. My car got must've driven through the edge of skunk spray once when my husband startled one. Stank up the garage.

If the OP is smelling something that is coming and going, I'd bet it's weed. Skunk stank lingers.

Old 03-06-2022, 10:43 AM

3,448 posts, read 2,840,681 times
Quote:
When we were living in the mountains, we had a skunk move into the space under our shed. We could smell him regularly when the wind blew. One day I was walking the dogs. Our road abutted a 900 acre watershed. I could smell a strong odor of skunk, so on my walk back, I went through the watershed. Sure enough, there was a dead, mostly eaten skunk. It hadn't been there the day before. I had just caught a coyote on the game cam the day before, so I strongly suspect that's what got the skunk (there was lots of coyote scat in the watershed). The odor no longer came from under our shed.

So yes, I know exactly what a skunk smells like. While pot isn't quite as strong smelling, it still smells skunky. I've smelled pot more often than I'd like. I really dislike the smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary