Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2022, 09:14 AM

12 posts, read 8,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Yup. Buyers lender when we sold our house in NY. And our buyers were putting 50% down.

We also didn’t have a bathroom. That has historically been a huge red flag for appraisers on LI. We had neighbors that lost a tree in a storm and it ripped away the sewer line. Tree was village owned so neighbor tried to get village to pay for their destroyed basement. Village said we never permitted that basement so nope. Again - good times v bad times. This gravy train ain’t endless. This is a money maker for towns. If they haven’t caught on here they will.

As I said may not happen now. But may happen in the future and then it’s OP’s problem.

ETA we didn’t finish the basement. OUR lender didn’t care.
Good to know. Luckily I've been in constant contact with my loan officer and he knows our situation and doesn't think it will be a problem.

Also, having no bathroom at all is vastly vastly different than having a finished basement. I very much doubt a house won't appraise because of an unpermitted area. Unless something is horrendously wrong (and not having a bathroom at all falls under that category). And LI real estate is much different than Raleigh, even with the price craziness. I'm also not from LI but good guess! I grew up in Raleigh. I know in LI unpermitted additions to drive up value and dodge taxes are scrutinized. They really like squeezing their revenue from property taxes there. That's just not the case here. At least for now. And by the time it does become like that, we hope to already have it permitted.

Also, why didn't your neighbors have home insurance cover damage? Insurances should be able to cover unpermitted spaces, it's situation dependent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I'm not a realtor. But I'd say that it doesn't matter much (if at all) what or how the seller PRICED their house. The only thing that matters is what the buyers will PAY for the house.
True, I was just referring to how they viewed their house value. For us we have a set amount we're willing to offer over on a house we like. So the difference is still there. Just depends on if we beat other buyers.

Old 03-19-2022, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Houses do not pass or fail inspections.
Inspections provide reports of the inspectors' observations. They are not a "pass/fail" test.
Often, they include subjective opinions along with objective observations.
Inspections are non-destructive, i.e., no tearing into sheetrock. That would be a huge error if done without homeowner approval. You could end up with a large bill for repair and repainting, as well as breaching your contract.

Your agent can tell you if the basement finish appears to be competently done, before you pop for a huge DD Fee. Competence is of more concern to me than permitting. Plenty of poor work is signed off on by Permits and Inspections people.

https://imgur.com/a/ot0RUvQ
https://photos.zillowstatic.com/fp/3...cc_ft_768.webp
https://photos.zillowstatic.com/fp/1...cc_ft_768.webp

The work certainly seems competent from the pictures. This isn't a half assed DIY job. Some contractor got hired to do all of it. We will check it out over the weekend when it starts showing.

My main concern is plumbing/drainage. If it has to drain "up" (through a pump) to the sewer main, that can be a bad bad failure. Worst case we just disconnect the water down there and turn the bathroom into something else.

Old 03-19-2022, 09:51 AM

333 posts, read 288,291 times
On the subject of times changing re: what's acceptable...not here, but in northern NJ I bought an older house in 2005, when prices there were shooting up and little was on the market. The main inspection finding then was that a new electrical panel was needed, and that was the only major thing. Fast forward to 2015 when I was selling that house to move here, in a very different market. Based on that inspection I needed to do asbestos remediation, replace two beams with significant termite damage (that did not happen in ten years), replace some pipes, dig up a decommissioned oil tank...

Old 03-19-2022, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marialidia View Post
On the subject of times changing re: what's acceptable...not here, but in northern NJ I bought an older house in 2005, when prices there were shooting up and little was on the market. The main inspection finding then was that a new electrical panel was needed, and that was the only major thing. Fast forward to 2015 when I was selling that house to move here, in a very different market. Based on that inspection I needed to do asbestos remediation, replace two beams with significant termite damage (that did not happen in ten years), replace some pipes, dig up a decommissioned oil tank...
I think this is additional reasoning why we want to get it done sooner rather than later. The bulk of the finishing was done 2.5 years ago, with the current seller adding some additions. But the electric/hvac/plumbing was done not that long ago. Better to permit it sooner rather than later.

Old 03-19-2022, 10:53 AM

3,241 posts, read 3,558,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th365thli View Post
I think this is additional reasoning why we want to get it done sooner rather than later. The bulk of the finishing was done 2.5 years ago, with the current seller adding some additions. But the electric/hvac/plumbing was done not that long ago. Better to permit it sooner rather than later.
Plus, codes never get less restrictive over time, so the sooner you do it, in theory the fewer items to correct.

Old 03-20-2022, 06:11 AM

43,445 posts, read 77,411,003 times
It would appear that the OP's subject house is of a newer vintage.
That is helpful, as the farther back one goes, the sloppier records retention by regulatory agencies becomes.

For Wake County, one can check permitting here ( though wisely with a liberal grain of salt):
https://services.wakegov.com/PermitSearch/

Then, there is Cary, with a stated policy of 6 years of record retention:

https://www.townofcary.org/services-...nspections/faq
"How can I obtain a copy of my building permit?

The Town of Cary Inspections & Permits Department retains building permit records in accordance with the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources, Division of Historical Resources, Archives and Records Section, Records Retention and Disposition Schedule (typically 6 years from date of project completion or as required by North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources).

To obtain building permit records, please visit our Records and Reports page."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary