Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2008, 02:15 PM

65 posts, read 158,615 times

Advertisements

we were considering looking more into lionsgate in clayton. any opinions? i know riverwood has a few other communities but we were interested in clayton.

or any other good nhoods in clayton i should look into. btw we are trying to stay in the 150range and would like a single with at least 3 bedrooms and I am guessing with a good commute to raliegh.

I know that is pushing it for lionsgate. I want the 150k range to be our high end though.

that is if our current home ever sells
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 4,941 times
I purchased a town house in Riverwood development last summer. I rent it, but plan to move in when I retire. My brother is also thinking of purchasing a Fred Smith home..perhaps Lionsgate. The quality for the price is excellent

Old 07-25-2008, 06:20 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,965,303 times
I love Lionsgate, its such a nice neighborhood! Nice thing of it is, if you join AT LIONSGATE, then you get the ammenties at Riverwood as well.
(hint: I heard it was cheaper to join through lionsgate)

There are ALOT of nice neighborhoods in Clayton, you really cant go wrong with any of them. If you have a day or two, just drive around. Check out some of the older neighborhoods. You'll be surprised what you can buy in Clayton, houses are alot cheaper.

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:12 AM

99 posts, read 325,192 times
I had a client that bought in Lionsgate this spring and there was some flexibility on the pricing. I don't think staying in the 150's for a 3 bedroom is impossible.
Good luck to you!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:10 AM

579 posts, read 2,857,429 times
We looked at Lionsgate homes last year and were very impressed. The quality of the homes seems very good for the price point and the neighborhood itself is very pretty. Fred Smith is a quality builder with a very good reputation. They offer a variety of home options in that n'hood, as well. There's the charleston style row houses which have no yards but a nice courtyard and rear parking. These are awesome for anyone who wants low maintenance and yet still be in a SFH for under 200K. The next level of homes have yards and go up to a certain sq footage. Most of those have 1 car garages and are under or around 200K. Then there's the big, gorgeous ones starting at a little over 200K. There seems to be something for everyone on various budgets so that's a great thing. They also have tiered HOA dues so you can upgrade to front lawn maintanence which includes watering! They are supposed to be building village shops there, too which is nice because you might be able to walk over and get a cup of coffee, etc.

All in all we'd love a house there but A) are too lazy to pack up and move B) Clayton is a little further out for us than we'd want to be at this time and C) if we do move again it will be to a NON-HOA n'hood. But that's just us.

You should go and see them if you haven't already. Good luck!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:38 AM

183 posts, read 669,763 times
My wife and I live in Clayton now, and are looking to upgrade to a larger home in the area. We seriously considered LionsGate and are still very seriously considering Riverwood. The ONLY reason we chose to rule out LionsGate was that we'd like our daughter to go to either Riverwood or River Dell Elementary Schools. To mirror what everyone has said above, Fred Smith Homes has a good reputation, and all of my wife's friends that live in either Riverwood or LionsGate love it. My realtor has backed this all up; says Riverwood especially is perfect for any young family.

Old 07-26-2008, 06:55 AM

850 posts, read 3,618,474 times
There are just so many neighborhoods in Clayton, too numerous to mention them all. Best thing to do is to do a home search online and jot down the S/D's that come up for the homes in your price range. Then you can visit them when you are here AND ask if anyone lives there.

There's the East side of Clayton (east of 70 - Archer Lodge...many homes might be listed as Wendell or Selma as these areas handle the mail but the schools are Clayton). We live in the Archer Lodge area (which is trying to incorporate now to locally handle growth) but our mailing address is Wendell but our kids go to River Dell. So be sure to look up the homes/areas you like on a map. This area has 2 ways to get to Raleigh (well more but 2 basic ways)...the back way which can be 20 min depending where in raleigh you go or out to 70, then 40.

There's also the West Clayton area, west of 70 which is called the 40/42 or cleveland area. Not familiar with the schools over there but this is where 40 and 42 meet for easy access to the highways. Its more built up over on this side with lots of stores, etc.

There's many places in between as well. Plus I know of several new subdivisions going in so there's lots happening.

Lauren

Old 07-26-2008, 09:48 AM

892 posts, read 3,151,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWells View Post
that is if our current home ever sells
I hear ya there.
A good commute to Raleigh will involve finding a home near I-40. Johnston County is booming and like Lauren stated, there really are just too darn many subdivisions to list!

Old 07-26-2008, 09:11 PM

53 posts, read 161,714 times
Glen Laurel is Great. New K through 5th grade school, Riverwood Middle School, and Clayton Hight School

Old 07-27-2008, 06:13 PM

850 posts, read 3,618,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by playnice View Post
I hear ya there.
A good commute to Raleigh will involve finding a home near I-40. Johnston County is booming and like Lauren stated, there really are just too darn many subdivisions to list!
Again it actually depends on WHERE in Raleigh you are going. We're nowhere near 40 but can get to some places in Raleigh in 20 minutes going "the back way" as we call it. We are in the Archer Lodge section so its about 10 minutes to 64/264 which you can take seemingly everywhere; 440 (to 40), 540, etc.

We can get to Costco in Raleigh (on Wake Forest Rd) in about 30-35 minutes. ALL the shopping in Knightdale (many more shops than at White Oak) in 20 minutes (same to get to White Oak on 70/garner). The Triangle Town center mall in about 25 minutes. if I remember correctly.

Anyhow, either way the commute from Clayton to Raleigh during rush hour would be more and NOT the quick 20 minutes that we had hoped for. We don't feel we settled though...compromised is the word...and we did get our dream home out of the deal.
Lauren

Last edited by lauren4521; 07-27-2008 at 06:36 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary