Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2022, 05:25 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times

Advertisements

In the City of Raleigh and Wake County government, things are done differently than they are in other parts of the country. When I first moved here, it was pretty confusing.

My background is in instructional design, and my favorite job was as an award-winning writer/features producer for PBS.

SO -- I had time and created an instructional video and completed it a week or so ago. It is non-partisan -- it just contains simple facts about how the different parts of government are structured.

I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlI3TnVYOlg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2022, 07:33 AM

791 posts, read 369,437 times
Are you looking for feedback or is this an FYI post?

Old 04-01-2022, 07:59 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,718,236 times
Basic stuff. Each state has its quirks, but from a constitutional and legal perspective NC isn't that much different from the others. Louisiana is another story. When it comes to the court system, NC is much simpler to grasp than the hodge-podge in some states.

Nit-picking, but the City Council of Raleigh doesn't set laws. They adopt ordinances. Laws are set by the General Assembly, and it's against state law to violate a city ordinance.

Might have been helpful to add that the Wake County Board of Elections defines the voting precincts, chooses the polling places, etc.

Old 04-01-2022, 10:29 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,100,766 times
I obtained info from the City of Raleigh website and used their terms.

I could have made it into an hour-long documentary if I put everything that every part of the government did. I did take a lot out before publishing it.

I tried to make it as short and as easy to understand as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: