Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2022, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 579 times

Advertisements

Im 26 weeks pregnant and my OB is Duke Women's Heritage in Wake Forest and they deliver at Wakemed North. However, I noticed they dont have a NICU. Im not expecting a complicated delivery but things happen and those few minutes of transport to WakeMed Raleigh could be life or death. Ive heard Wake is a newer more "hotel like" facility but Duke is top notch in research, equipment and staff with a much larger pediatric unit. If I choose to deliver at Duke I'd have to drive 30 mins to the Brier Creek OB location every appt because they are the ones that deliver at Duke BC. Also, Duke is 40 mins from me while WakeMed North is 15. Those of you who have delivered at these locations how was your experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2022, 12:48 PM

4,190 posts, read 4,909,191 times
If you suddenly go into labor then the difference between a 40min trip versus 15min is huge. Your OB should be aware of any potential complcations well before the delivery date and can advise you of any risks ahead of time. IMHO WakeMed North is a no brainier.

Old 04-06-2022, 11:43 PM

3,241 posts, read 3,558,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglow View Post
If you suddenly go into labor then the difference between a 40min trip versus 15min is huge. Your OB should be aware of any potential complcations well before the delivery date and can advise you of any risks ahead of time. IMHO WakeMed North is a no brainier.
I would agree that OP should go to the hospital that is much closer to her. My youngest is 17, so it's been awhile, but when she was born, the hospital (Duke University) had just switched to "rooming in" and we were not made aware of it. (Her 2 brothers born 2 and 4 years earlier each spent a fair amount of time in the nursery while we were there). The "Rooming in" experience was terrible and I think at least partly contributed to her post partum after my daughter was born. Those couple of 2 hour breaks for sleep we got each night when the boys were born made a huge difference in our ability to function. Not sure if all local birthing centers have switched to "rooming in" but I would pick a hospital which still had a nursery, if there was a choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary