Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2022, 12:20 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,077,879 times

Advertisements

I posted when I was tired and didn’t mention the renovation. It’s not the end of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2022, 11:06 PM

2,505 posts, read 3,555,815 times
Previous discussion of the museum's re-installation here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/62732080-post4.html

But yes, from May through October probably isn't the best time to visit, though the Museum Park will remain open. I enjoyed the current special exhibits (of contemporary art about the environment, and the work of Durham architect Phil Freelon), but they close in July and May, respectively.

The "highlights" exhibition coming this June will fill only the smaller of the two special galleries in the east building. After it closes on 21 Aug and until the grand reopening on 8 Oct, there won't be much of anything on view indoors.

Old 04-26-2022, 09:20 AM

11,232 posts, read 8,328,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I posted when I was tired and didn’t mention the renovation. It’s not the end of the world.
I appreciate the heads up, and the correction. It could have been worded better, but you came back and updated it. The intent was good. Thanks!

Old 04-26-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I appreciate the heads up, and the correction. It could have been worded better, but you came back and updated it. The intent was good. Thanks!
Yes I could word it better. And I did use the words "shut down". But I was a little surprised that anyone thought the museum was just going away.

I appreciate the posters who added detail.

In looking at the NC Museum of Art website, it looks like the benefits of membership are pretty good. ** If I read it correctly. ** Two tickets to outdoor movies. And it looks like you get two tickets to every exhibit. I thought it was only one exhibit but I believe I was mistaken.

Old 04-26-2022, 10:50 AM

253 posts, read 237,507 times
Quote:
In looking at the NC Museum of Art website, it looks like the benefits of membership are pretty good. ** If I read it correctly. ** Two tickets to outdoor movies. And it looks like you get two tickets to every exhibit. I thought it was only one exhibit but I believe I was mistaken.
You do. We have a dual membership, which is only $75 for the year, and it's a good value. You also get discounted tickets to art in bloom and the concerts and a discount at the museum store. It's also tax deductible.

Old 04-26-2022, 01:42 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,607,595 times
I have a single membership for $50 and just going to summer movies alone already pays for it. Not to mention free entrance to special exhibits and in general NCMA is just a great museum worth supporting.

Old 04-26-2022, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
I have a single membership for $50 and just going to summer movies alone already pays for it. Not to mention free entrance to special exhibits and in general NCMA is just a great museum worth supporting.
I’m surprised they show recent movies. Do you go early for a good seat and to find parking?

Old 04-26-2022, 02:09 PM

6,658 posts, read 5,607,595 times
Quote:
I’m surprised they show recent movies. Do you go early for a good seat and to find parking?
I show up like 15 minutes before? Not really a bad seat to view the screen tbh - though I usually just bring a folding chair, if you wanted to lay out a blanket and picnic, might want to show up earlier for a better spot.

Parking is a non-issue. For some reason everybody crowds into the main parking area but there's also a parking lot behind the buildings that everyone forgets about and nobody parks there so I park there (and takes no time getting out afterwards)

Old 04-27-2022, 07:39 AM

4,275 posts, read 4,730,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Parking is a non-issue. For some reason everybody crowds into the main parking area but there's also a parking lot behind the buildings that everyone forgets about and nobody parks there so I park there (and takes no time getting out afterwards)
You must lead a charmed life. I always go to the lots behind the buildings first. (These are the original parking lots.) When the museum isn't crowded, it's fine. But when the museum is crowded, getting a spot behind the buildings has a very low likelihood of success.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
You must lead a charmed life. I always go to the lots behind the buildings first. (These are the original parking lots.) When the museum isn't crowded, it's fine. But when the museum is crowded, getting a spot behind the buildings has a very low likelihood of success.
Someone told me once they had overflow parking across the street. This is NOT confirmed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary