Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 02:38 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_native74 View Post
Definitely fill out that form. When I had to serve jury duty, I don't know if this is the case with every judge, but the one presiding over that case asked the juror pool if there was any reason they couldn't serve, and one of the jurors had a similar situation and was excused by the judge.

I just got called in a few weeks ago and one lady explained to the judge
how stressed she was at work and he let her go. I wanted to serve
but during the selection the lawyer asked us if we could
give equal weight to anyone on the stand and not more to the officers. A few (myself included) said we respected the officers and would give more weight to their testimony. We got dismissed from duty.
I was bummed to not be able to serve but I had to be honest about that question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 02:42 PM

414 posts, read 1,257,239 times
Moonwlkr: Yuck! Sorry to hear you got papered! Hopefully you will be able to get out of it.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:09 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,142 times
Moonwalker, I would request to be excused from jury duty, and mail the documentation on the house closing. I feel certain you will be excused.

If it's any consolation to anybody out there, I have served on a jury every time I've ever been called. I finished a three-day jury duty, got married, and moved to the neighboring county with my husband, and within a few weeks, I'll be darned if I didn't get a second summons in the new county in which I resided.

I wonder if your name comes up if you're new to an area?

I keep thinking they will be hitting me again here -- so far, so good. I used to think a public school teacher might be excused too just for the general good of the students and the classroom. Yeah, right. I served over a week once, on a murder trial. I played 'catch up' at work for what seemed like forever.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:12 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,128,456 times
Couldn't you ask to be rescheduled. Then when that date approaches, you will receive a new summons. You should be living out of the area then. Therefore, you automatically are excused.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:19 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,083 times
Wow, I'm surprised. I was summoned for jury duty in Oregon and I'd already started a new job in San Francisco, though I had just gotten married and my husband was still in Oregon. Still, when I called them to explain the situation, they told me to just rip up the summons.

Old 05-22-2008, 04:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
I agree that asking to reschedule, versus cancel, will be looked upon more favorably. Once when I WANTED to perform jury duty, but it was at literally the busiest week of the year for my work, I wrote telling them I looked forward to JD but could we please bump it up a month later, I got a form later with a box checked "Your request for excusal is approved", and I was a little disappointed, since I did in fact want to do it sometime.

The one time I did get called, I got axed during voir dire--not sure why, but they had asked us all questions such as marital status, education level, etc, and I noticed that I and the one other woman who were both single AND had graduate degrees were both not picked.

Old 05-22-2008, 06:30 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,158,405 times
Deferral one time is almost certain. Just write asking to be deferred because of a personal business matter.

When the new summons reaches your new state after you move, simply respond that you no longer live in NC, and the summons will be canceled.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:02 PM

319 posts, read 1,478,602 times
I've been summoned twice for jury duty in Durham County. Both times I called to reschedule due to already scheduled out of town work trips. They gave me no problems and let me pick a more convenient date.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:14 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,754,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post
Wow, I'm surprised. I was summoned for jury duty in Oregon and I'd already started a new job in San Francisco, though I had just gotten married and my husband was still in Oregon. Still, when I called them to explain the situation, they told me to just rip up the summons.
A couple of weeks ago I received a summons for jury duty in Portland. The crazy thing is it was address to my Durham, NC address!!! But I was able to get out of it. I called and explained my situation and said I'd be happy to do jury duty in Portland if the county covered my travel expenses. I would have loved a free trip back to Portland.

OP, good luck with the move.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:27 PM

1,921 posts, read 4,773,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
A couple of weeks ago I received a summons for jury duty in Portland. The crazy thing is it was address to my Durham, NC address!!! But I was able to get out of it. I called and explained my situation and said I'd be happy to do jury duty in Portland if the county covered my travel expenses. I would have loved a free trip back to Portland.

OP, good luck with the move.
Thanks! It's bad enough preparing for closing out-of-town at both places, figuring out the trip out west, and getting very young kids psyched for the move. I'll try to get excused so I don't have to deal with it at a later time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary