Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 08:12 PM

401 posts, read 1,623,560 times

Advertisements

Now that you mention it, I just remembered that my brother had his house, which was masonite siding, covered in foam then covered in vinyl siding. This was done 5 or 6 years ago. I thought then that it was kind of strange to cover existing siding rather than remove the old first. That I know of, he has not had any problems.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:19 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
I really have not heard of this. I wonder if by covering up the masonite, the issue with water and the maintenance of the masonite is taken care of? I did think of covering the masonite with vinyl was a possibility but our covenants in the neighborhood does not allow vinyl siding at all. Interesting...

Vicki

Old 04-06-2007, 08:33 PM

401 posts, read 1,623,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I really have not heard of this. I wonder if by covering up the masonite, the issue with water and the maintenance of the masonite is taken care of? I did think of covering the masonite with vinyl was a possibility but our covenants in the neighborhood does not allow vinyl siding at all. Interesting...

Vicki
I'll have to ask my bro., I think that is why he did it.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:35 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cary native View Post
I'll have to ask my bro., I think that is why he did it.
Thanks! I'd love to hear what you find out, for me and for my sellers and buyers.

Old 04-06-2007, 09:42 PM

40 posts, read 380,979 times
Default Surprise, they are installing Hardie siding over existing siding

Well, you could have knock me over with a feather when I heard this from this forum, but I found this company right away that had the following in their FAQ's:

Q. Is HardiPlank installed on top of my existing siding?
A. For two out of three homes, we do install HardiPlank on top of the existing siding, if the siding is in good condition and the surface is flat. If the existing siding is too soft or has rotted, then it has to be removed.

Q. What is the warranty?
A. HardiPlank has a 50 year warranty from the manufacturer and the coating has a warranty for as long as you own your house. Southwest Exteriors guarantees labor for 10 years on the siding and 5 years on the coating.

I think that I would want to double check with Hardie to see if they still would honor the warranty under that kind of installation. On Hardie's website I saw references to not installing it over existing, and there was no reference in their instructions to how you would install it over existing.

Personally, Hardie over the top of existing siding(any type) would be a no go for me. In fact, any siding over the top of another would be a potential cover up that would be difficult to assess. I would definitely want to know if it was an installation over existing. If the existing siding is in good condition, which is, theoretically, a requirement for doing an install over it, then what is the purpose of doing any kind of replacement?

Old 04-07-2007, 05:45 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Hardie over masonite?
Wow. I never heard that one before.

Most vinyl siding retrofits you see seem to be put over the masonite, which is bad enough. They will use 3 inch nails to avoid pulling the siding into the buckled masonite. "Floating" the siding. You can tell one of these jobs as soon as you see the house.

Hardie bows and waves enough following the framing, I can't imagine the look when it is put over buckled masonite.

I am having vinyl put on my home, and masonite is coming off, Tyvek going up with taped joints, and I expect it will look very good.

There is only one advantage to not removing old siding:
The installer gets to pay day quicker.

All that said, if I had T-111 plywood siding without indication of water leakage behind it, and it was in pretty good shape, I would probably allow Hardie or vinyl installation over it.

Old 04-07-2007, 07:41 AM

129 posts, read 565,976 times
The only reason I brought this subject up is to let people know it is being done. I have not personally seen it, but as I stated a home next door to one of my clients had it done. Home owners and agents need to be aware. That is even a better reason to have an inspection! A good inspector will catch this.
Now I wonder if the homeowner is persuaded to leave the old siding on for insulation purpose or costing less? This way the contractor has less time and hard labor getting the old siding off and having to haul it away.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:01 AM

40 posts, read 380,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaGlover View Post
The only reason I brought this subject up is to let people know it is being done. I have not personally seen it, but as I stated a home next door to one of my clients had it done. Home owners and agents need to be aware. That is even a better reason to have an inspection! A good inspector will catch this.
Now I wonder if the homeowner is persuaded to leave the old siding on for insulation purpose or costing less? This way the contractor has less time and hard labor getting the old siding off and having to haul it away.
Yes, that's good...very enlightening. And, yes, you can bet an installation over existing, if the installer is willing to do it, is to his advantage. Very important to use a good inspector! I would find my own, not use a realtor's choice. In fact, if I'm having a house built, I hire an inspector during the process. So for $200-300, I have someone watching the whole time...worth it.

However, Mike is right. If you can find out what was underneath to start with, and really like house for what ever reasons, then it still might be an acceptable buy. Here you might want to hire an installer just to inspect it because they are going to know all of the tricks of the trade.

Glad you brought it up, Linda.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:04 AM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times
Linda, I would love to see that example of a house that has had this done. It seems, on the surface, that it should be easy to spot, but apparently if it is done "right", if that's even possible, then it may not be. If it is done as often as it now seems, I'd be curious to know the failure rate, and how many people have problems with it. With so many of us unaware of the practice altogether, there can't be too many complaints with it, even though it seems like a problem waiting to happen.

Any other realtors interested in a field trip?

Old 04-07-2007, 10:23 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHomeFinder View Post
Linda, I would love to see that example of a house that has had this done. It seems, on the surface, that it should be easy to spot, but apparently if it is done "right", if that's even possible, then it may not be. If it is done as often as it now seems, I'd be curious to know the failure rate, and how many people have problems with it. With so many of us unaware of the practice altogether, there can't be too many complaints with it, even though it seems like a problem waiting to happen.

Any other realtors interested in a field trip?
Ma'am,
They are everywhere.
I had contractors decide not to quote my job when I told them I wanted the masonite siding off. Too much work.

I sold vinyl siding for a big box store and a couple of local home imprvement companies, and they all do it. Big Box told me "Don't sell siding removal. The crews don't like it. Tell them it adds structure or insulation." Bunk.
When you get the spring home improvement circulars any day now advertising specials on vinyl siding, all of those foflks put vinyl over masonite.
Go to the Southern Ideal Home Show at the Jim Graham Building next weekend (stop in at my booth and say, "Hi."), and ask the fellers pushing vinyl siding if they go over masonite. Betcha all the remodelers say they do, without hesitation.

When you go to a neighborhood of masonite-era homes and a few of them have vinyl, I'll bet you lunch that 99 out of 100 have two layers of siding.

When you look at vinyl trim around the brick molding on windows and doors, and the vinyl trim sticks out farther than the brick mold, you are looking at vinyl over masonite.

For a few bucks more, some guys will nail furring strips onto the window frame to build out the brick mold and window sills.
What a true mess. Sometimes perpetrated on unknowing folks who are on ly considering price, sometimes perpetrated by shifty house flippers.

Now as far as putting Hardie Plank over Masonite...Never heard of that before. Sounds perfectly repulsive...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary