Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 PM

7 posts, read 18,631 times

Advertisements

We currently rent in MacArthur Park and have decided we like it so much we would like to buy. Some of the current listings are appealing but we also would like a little more information.
Is one particular subdivision better than another in terms of re-sale value? For example, our rental backs right up to the train track so I don't think we could buy anything that gets much closer. Does a house on the greenway side have a better re-sale value than those on the other side of MacArthur Drive? We really struggled to sell our house in Seattle so we would like to make a better decision this time around.
We really, really like Giverny but there isn't much on the market right now. Are people more likely to list something the closer we get to summer or are these original owners very content and unlikely to sell?
I see roofs and windows being replaced, as well as listings advertising new HVAC systems. I thought roofs and HVAC systems "lived" longer than 20 years. Can we expect to replace a roof and/or an HVAC system on a 20 year old house?
I know some of these questions are vague, I just thought someone might have more insight if they have lived in the area longer than 8 months. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:27 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Close to the greenway is always good, but good schools trump greenway. Are the schools the same on both sides of McArthur? What size house?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:28 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlemamaof3 View Post
We currently rent in MacArthur Park and have decided we like it so much we would like to buy. Some of the current listings are appealing but we also would like a little more information.
Is one particular subdivision better than another in terms of re-sale value? For example, our rental backs right up to the train track so I don't think we could buy anything that gets much closer. Does a house on the greenway side have a better re-sale value than those on the other side of MacArthur Drive? We really struggled to sell our house in Seattle so we would like to make a better decision this time around.
We really, really like Giverny but there isn't much on the market right now. Are people more likely to list something the closer we get to summer or are these original owners very content and unlikely to sell?
I see roofs and windows being replaced, as well as listings advertising new HVAC systems. I thought roofs and HVAC systems "lived" longer than 20 years. Can we expect to replace a roof and/or an HVAC system on a 20 year old house?
I know some of these questions are vague, I just thought someone might have more insight if they have lived in the area longer than 8 months. Thanks for your help.

The things to watch for include backing to the tracks, backing to Cary Parkway, Davis Drive, Waldo Rood, or MacArthur Drive. Modena is a through street, and people drive too fast. Speed bumps have been discussed.

Some of the homes that back to the park have lovely views and access.

We have lived for 8+ years in Giverny, which is not in MacArthur Park, despite all the MLS errors that say it is.
We only see a house or two sell each year. None in 2010, two in 2009, and 4 in 2008.
Not having an HOA is a great attraction.
My street is about half original owners. There are several others in the neighborhood.

Like everyone else, we have a 17 year old house. It backs to the tracks.
You can expect to do some work on a 20 year old tract-built home.

We replaced the gas pack for the lower level when it was 9 years old, and will probably be replacing the 2nd level HVAC equipment this year.
We removed the masonite and installed vinyl siding in 2008. Several neighbors in Giverny have done the same thing.

We will have a new roof within 4-5 years. The shingles on almost all the homes in the area are rated for 20 years, and are still OK, but workmanship on roofs in the early 1990's was more or less pitiful and it gets easier to replace rather than repair.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:51 PM

14 posts, read 39,014 times
Default Giverny and MacArthur

I will reiterate that Modena Drive is full of speeders.

Giverny is great in that there is no homeowners association. There aren't any pools in the older part of MacArthur anyway, so the association does not get you as much as it otherwise would. Most of us join a local pool such as Scottish Hills, etc.

Almost everyone around me has replaced both units in there dual zone heating and AC. They just don't last that long, so it shouldn't be an issue for you to find one recently replaced. Also many of us have replaced a lot of things, including old siding and so forth.

There is a tiny portion of MacArthur park area that is zoned for Davis Drive Elementary rather than the more controversial Laurel Park year-round elementary. If this is an issue for you, you might want to go with the tiny DDE portion.

The railroad behind the houses affords wonderful privacy. Nothing will go back there. I know some people are wary of having a greenway behind your house. I like the greenway but I would not want a constant stream of people behind my house. The greenway in MacArthur is VERY busy. A few years back there were some issues with women being assaulted on a greenway in Cary or Apex I think.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:21 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
Quote:
We currently rent in MacArthur Park and have decided we like it so much we would like to buy.
The age of that neighborhood is consistent with roof/HVAC replacement. 20 year shingles in our area tend to last about 18 years on average and HVAC systems are lucky to get 15 years with proper maintenance nowadays. If homeowners let maintenance get away from them, then at the better part of 20 years old you can expect to replace some systems. Even properly maintained it is not unreasonable to expect that.
I have probably inspected 80% of that neighborhood since its inception in the early 90's. Feel free to message me with any questions/concerns and I will be happy to answer them for you. It is a great area!

Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,875 times
Quote:
One unconventional thing to try is if you see a house or houses you like in Giverny (that are not on the market) is to write the owner a letter, explain your situation and inquire if they are interested in selling. Maybe, one of the owners was on the fence about moving and this pushes them over the edge.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:58 AM

426 posts, read 1,490,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofThreeinWake View Post

There is a tiny portion of MacArthur park area that is zoned for Davis Drive Elementary rather than the more controversial Laurel Park year-round elementary. If this is an issue for you, you might want to go with the tiny DDE portion.
Im not aware of any controversy surrounding Laurel Park Elementary. We are a Laurel Park Elementary family and very happy with the school. Do you know something I dont?!

Thanks.

Last edited by MammaLakn; 03-31-2011 at 10:08 AM..

Old 03-31-2011, 10:46 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,590,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
The things to watch for include backing to the tracks, backing to Cary Parkway, Davis Drive, Waldo Rood, or MacArthur Drive. Modena is a through street, and people drive too fast. Speed bumps have been discussed.

Some of the homes that back to the park have lovely views and access.

We have lived for 8+ years in Giverny, which is not in MacArthur Park, despite all the MLS errors that say it is.
We only see a house or two sell each year. None in 2010, two in 2009, and 4 in 2008.
Not having an HOA is a great attraction.
My street is about half original owners. There are several others in the neighborhood.

Like everyone else, we have a 17 year old house. It backs to the tracks.
You can expect to do some work on a 20 year old tract-built home.

We replaced the gas pack for the lower level when it was 9 years old, and will probably be replacing the 2nd level HVAC equipment this year.
We removed the masonite and installed vinyl siding in 2008. Several neighbors in Giverny have done the same thing.

We will have a new roof within 4-5 years. The shingles on almost all the homes in the area are rated for 20 years, and are still OK, but workmanship on roofs in the early 1990's was more or less pitiful and it gets easier to replace rather than repair.
Giverny is not part of McArthur park?

We had friends who lived on a culdesac at the end of Modena..Vethal or something like that. I had always been under the impression that it was part of McAruther park because the "giverny" sign was stylized the same way the rest of the MacArthur signs were. Always loved the floorplan of their house. The railroad tracks were literally IN THEIR BACK YARD though; when a train went by the house would shake and you couldn't hear the person sitting right next to you speak.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:19 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Giverny is not part of McArthur park?

We had friends who lived on a culdesac at the end of Modena..Vethal or something like that. I had always been under the impression that it was part of McAruther park because the "giverny" sign was stylized the same way the rest of the MacArthur signs were. Always loved the floorplan of their house. The railroad tracks were literally IN THEIR BACK YARD though; when a train went by the house would shake and you couldn't hear the person sitting right next to you speak.
Sounds charming.

Old 03-31-2011, 12:06 PM

43,284 posts, read 77,104,102 times
Giverny is not in any way a part of MacArthur Park PUD or of Parkway PUOA.

Actually, the Giverny sign is somewhat different than the MacArthur Park neighborhood signs.
It is a plaque on faux-iron fence, between two stone columns.

We have not had any experience with the train similar to that, and the RR corridor abuts our property. The track is about 100 feet from our back door.
I know at Ve Theyl, the track is a little closer, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary