U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:27 PM

2 posts, read 8,175 times

Advertisements

I need to know if there is anything that is academically offered at Wake Forest HS that can not be found at Wake Field HS! I need to get the Board to approve my apeal for my daughter to go to WFRHS and I need to be able to provide an academic reason why WakeForest is better suited for her. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 PM

2,950 posts, read 6,796,651 times
So your daughter has an academic reason why she needs to go to the other school, you just aren't sure what it is yet?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:04 AM

2 posts, read 8,175 times
lol...wow really? My daughter suffers from several medical conditions which make life for her not so easy. She has been in wake forest MS for all three years. All of her friends are going to Wake Forest HS and she is devistated!!! I don't see the point in adding to all the other problems she faces as a child with something as silly as a new HS with NO FRIENDS of hers. Who are you to judge? I am just seeking some help here, not critisim from complete strangers!

Old 05-23-2008, 06:15 AM

2,835 posts, read 6,810,109 times
Couple of points to your question:

1. I understand the WFR students will attend the new Heritage HS next year while there school get renovated. That is in jeopardy now as their is no money to do that. They are working to funnel aka take away the money earmarked to build a new elementary school off East side of Capital and Purnell so the high school can be renovated.

2. I would suggest you visit both school and than make a decision independent of academic offerings.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 05-23-2008, 04:24 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,204,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Couple of points to your question:

1. I understand the WFR students will attend the new Heritage HS next year while there school get renovated. That is in jeopardy now as their is no money to do that. They are working to funnel aka take away the money earmarked to build a new elementary school off East side of Capital and Purnell so the high school can be renovated.

2. I would suggest you visit both school and than make a decision independent of academic offerings.

Good luck with your decision.
It will be business as usual next year at WFRHS with the Dubois Center housing 9th graders and 10-12 at main campus.
Yes, there is a strong possibility WFR will temporarily relocate to Heritage High School for 2009-2010 while the main campus is being renovated. The school is in bad shape and need improvements !!!
I actually read something about having two schools on the same campus - 9th and 10th for Heritage High and 10-12 WFR high but I don't know if this is true or not.
I have a feeling funds will be found to update the school - the timing is just too perfect with a space available to house upperclassman during renovation.

Also, once Heritage High opens there will likely be major, major changes in enrollment patterns in Wake Forest. There are sooo many little kids around here, its obvious the high schools will be bursting at the seams in just a few short years.

It takes a few years to fully populate high schools since they start with grades 9 and 10 and keep adding a year until it is 9-12. There will be high schools in a five or so mile radius (Wakefield, WFRHS and Heritage). I wonder if the nodes around WF attending Knightdale HS will be zoned back to WF?

Old 05-23-2008, 04:30 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,204,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhmiles View Post
I need to know if there is anything that is academically offered at Wake Forest HS that can not be found at Wake Field HS! I need to get the Board to approve my apeal for my daughter to go to WFRHS and I need to be able to provide an academic reason why WakeForest is better suited for her. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You!
The academics are about the same at both schools.. the same basics, honors and AP classes... but I've found Wakefield has a few more electives (by looking at the web sites).

I've noticed many of the "middle school groups" change and morph as different feeder middle schools form the freshman class. The majority of freshman at Wake Forest high attended WFRM and Heritage MS.

Do you think you could use enrollment as a factor? Wakefield High is projected to top 3000 students next year, while WFR has about 2000.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:28 PM

633 posts, read 1,065,961 times
Do you think you could use enrollment as a factor? Wakefield High is projected to top 3000 students next year, while WFR has about 2000.>>>

This could be a factor. I would look further into this angle. I empathazie with you.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:59 AM

2 posts, read 4,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhmiles View Post

-wfr offers an rotc program, and we have construction academy. i attended both schools, i was at wakefield freshman and sophomore year, and am now at wfr. i like wfr's school environment slighlty better, but as a student, i have had more issues with the teachers. some just don't care.. but hey, you will most likely run into that anywhere you go.. *mind you, the choral department at wakefield is far better that wfr. i'm not sure if your daughter shows interest in that, but that is going to be my major.. so that's of importance to me. the wfr chorus is slack..

but anywhoo, my friend transferred from wakefield for sports, she didnt make the team at wakefield, and needs a scholarship for sports to college. the wakefield coach had it in for her.. so she transfered to wfr. the "academic reason" that she told the school board was that she desired to participate in the construction academy.. now, i know that your daughter may not have any interest in that program, but neither did my friend, but she has found that she enjoys it.. especially since it's the thing that is keeping her at the school of her choice.

also, my friend was enrolled in rotc at wfr freshman & sophomore year, i believe, and he got redistricted.. he used his loyalty to the rotc at wfr as an excuse to stay.
im not sure if that is of any help..
but good luck with your decision.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:03 AM

2 posts, read 4,041 times
i just made an account to answer your question.. and i dont know how to use it.. so im unsure if i will be able to get back to this page, but if you have any more questions about wfr, or wakefield, i can tell you first hand. please feel free to e-mail me at: [email]tuttiflutti4494@yahoo.com[/email]
-brittany

Old 04-01-2011, 09:25 AM

8,269 posts, read 23,329,235 times
In my experience, transfers for academic reasons like this are rarely ever granted. A strong desire to participate in ROTC may be considered a valid reason to transfer. I know it's worked for some at Cary High who were redistricted.
But then your child would have to commit to ROTC and do it.
As for not having any friends, high school is so different now. It's possible that she may not see a single person she knows all day! That happened to my daughter freshman year and she did already know several people at the school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary