Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2022, 04:58 AM

43,434 posts, read 77,392,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Are you actually dealing directly with the Lowes' store?
Or only with Lowes Installations?

If the latter, I would get into the store where I did business and talk to the store manager in person and lay it all out.
Lowes' Installations is who you were handed off to, right?
The manager wants people to be satisfied with their interaction.

If you are dealing directly with the store management already, well... dang.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
^^^ Agree 100%. If you are dealing with the manager I am shocked they have not offered some sort of concession for your inconvenience. I have never used Lowes or HD for a reno but I have used them for carpet and a Garage door opener/installation. With the garage door opener, the first 2 were defective and the manager upgraded me for free to a better brand and model. We had an issue with the opener a few months later and the store paid for the installer to come even though it really was not covered issue.
Years ago, and things change, but I would handle it the same way today....

I bought kitchen cabinets at Lowes.
I was going to install them over Labor Day weekend.

Delivery people called and said they could deliver Friday.
I asked for a morning delivery slot if possible.
Wednesday and Thursday evenings, I tore out the old cabinetry and did prep work.

Friday morning came and went. Lunch time came and went.
I called Delivery and asked when to expect my stuff.
"You insisted on a morning delivery and we couldn't deliver."
"So, my cabinets will be delivered this afternoon?"
"You aren't on the schedule for today."
"When will they be delivered?"
"We don't have you on the schedule."
Now I was getting cranky.....
"So, since you couldn't deliver this morning, you just keep my $3800 and I never get my cabinets?
No reply. No effort to reply.
So, like George Thorogood's One Bourbon, One Scotch, and One Beer, "Out the door I went."

Went to the store where I bought and paid.
Got the manager.
Told him my tale of woe, that Delivery said I forfeit my money over nothing.
He said, "Let me look into this. I will give you a call."
I went home.
Never got a call from him, as I recall.
But, I hardly got into the house when a very humble person from Delivery called:
"Will you be around Saturday morning for delivery of your cabinets?
Me: "What time?"
"How about 8:00?"
"Sure."

They guys were prompt, quick, and quiet.
I asked if they had a full Saturday schedule on the holiday weekend.
"Nope. We never work Saturdays."

I have always felt like the store manager read the riot act....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2022, 07:06 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,551,810 times
Additionally, as I type this, BOTH vanities that Lowe’s delivered were damaged.
---------
I read thats what you said,the items were damaged upon arrival.
ANYway,it sounds like a complex job like yours ,you should find a competent local general contractor not LOWE employee ,
A general contractor who owns his business will be able to work with you better than just a salaried man of a large corporation.

Old 05-28-2022, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Additionally, as I type this, BOTH vanities that Lowe’s delivered were damaged.
---------
I read thats what you said,the items were damaged upon arrival.
ANYway,it sounds like a complex job like yours ,you should find a competent local general contractor not LOWE employee ,
A general contractor who owns his business will be able to work with you better than just a salaried man of a large corporation.

Actually, inept and dishonest and struggling GCs are worse than Lowes, and there are a great many of them.
I think he can get Lowes to do him right, but it will take tenacity.

Old 05-28-2022, 08:00 PM

94 posts, read 57,979 times
The temporary setup idea is a good one. You can get used sinks and faucets at Habitat for Humanity for cheap.

Old 05-29-2022, 01:08 PM

1,467 posts, read 5,136,180 times
Have not read all the responses… but had this issue with a kitchen counter purchased from Lowes many years ago. Lowes was zero help. However, I worked it out with the installer. He squeezed me in off schedule when he was on my side of town for another project.

Old 05-29-2022, 01:18 PM

If I wanted a temp setup, and I didn't have the tools or skills to get into the plumbing....

A small table, a pitcher and basin set, and live like my great-grandparents for a week or two.
Yeah, it sucks, but it would put water in the bathrooms for washing up.

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=was...ages&ia=images

Old 05-30-2022, 08:52 PM

4,185 posts, read 4,905,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
This is really long, but the short version is:
  1. Lowes shipped damaged vanities on a project
  2. The installer confirmed inventory, and went ot get replacements
  3. Lowes did not provide the replacements, so the installer (they hired) had to go to next job
  4. Now they are telling us next availability to install is June 7
  5. Meanwhile we have no sinks in bathrooms, only the kitchen sink for two weeks
  6. They refuse to do anthying because their installer is booked, and they are not wiling to hire another
  7. A whole lot of other issues detailed below.

What would you do? We are stuck in our house, no sinks in the bathroom. No resolution. They told us that if we reported to the state attorney general that they would end all discussions, and we'd be SOL, so I haven't done that.
Sorry to hear of your situation...I learned my lesson dealing with big box stores many years ago contracting through Sears. Sears took care of me but I vowed never again after my experience. In your case I would have walked when the alarm bells sounded about "extra fees" and high pressure sales approach by the manager to close the deal....that would never fly with me. As Judge Judy always says...get everything documented in writing in the contract because that's all that matters when a dispute arises. At this point in your case I would escalate to Lowe's corporate for assistance. They don't like bad publicity and will hopefully make things right. I will tell you that damaged cabinetry is common in the industry...my friend installed a new kitchen and some of the cabinets arrived damaged but he worked out a deal with the supplier, which wasn't Lowe's or Home Depot. Good luck...!!

Old 05-30-2022, 09:04 PM

14,592 posts, read 12,269,648 times
Just saying, if you think they're doing their best to get this finished best they can.... I've certainly roughed it way worse than having to brush my teeth in the kitchen for a couple weeks.

Old 05-31-2022, 04:17 AM

11,241 posts, read 8,343,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Just saying, if you think they're doing their best to get this finished best they can.... I've certainly roughed it way worse than having to brush my teeth in the kitchen for a couple weeks.
We are making the best of the situation, and realize it could be worse.

Thanks for all the replies. I won't comment too much more on this thread until it is resolved. We've had a calm and factual discussion with the store manager. As suggested above, it was more reassuring than dealing with the projects call center.

Fingers crossed, and I do know it will be nice when it's over. Other people in the world have bigger problems, we are keeping perspective.

Old 05-31-2022, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
We are making the best of the situation, and realize it could be worse.

Thanks for all the replies. I won't comment too much more on this thread until it is resolved. We've had a calm and factual discussion with the store manager. As suggested above, it was more reassuring than dealing with the projects call center.

Fingers crossed, and I do know it will be nice when it's over. Other people in the world have bigger problems, we are keeping perspective.

Hope you get an agreeable and quick resolution!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: