Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 06:02 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,087,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC from MA View Post
Lori1961...what area are you moving to???
Hopefully to the Wake Forest area cuz I love Californians!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 06:26 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,780,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
My one word of advice to Californians is: learn not to call highways "The [highway number]". It might be "The 10" or "the 5" out there, but here we just say "40", "440" etc.
Wow, did not know anyone looking strangely at me when I do say "the" numbered highway... for which I call freeways half the time. Though people have told me that the beltlines can be confusing, I haven't really been too confused with that. However, I'm pretty good with North, South, East and West, but some of the signage around here pointing a person to a direction can be contradictory to the actual direction of the road (seems I'm asked to go north on the 85 when it seems it's going east/west half the time, or when I leave RDU and see a sign to exit North to 70 540... took me a bit to figure that one out). Anyway, I still use and will continue to use the 'the' in sentences since that's like asking a New Yorker to pronounce a trailing 'r'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori1961 View Post
I hope this is not too dumb of a question. I have heard stories all around about people who move from California being treated as outsiders. I find this hard to believe but would like to hear some thoughts and opinions.
Quote:
I think in general, anti-transplant sentiment comes when there is a huge migration of folks from one area into another, bringing their "ways" with them and conflicting with the local way of life.
I think Francois is right about this but I will go one step further in saying the conflict arises when it appears those from out of state attempt to force those who live in state to succumb to the way of life the out of stater was accustomed to living in the state they left. Personally, I don't think there's a problem with sharing different ways of living... imposing such things upon another, with expectation to comply, doesn't work in either direction. So, yeah, people will have disdain for others who force or expect them to live another way from a way they were living happily before.

With that said, we haven't had a single issue occur since living here... even after telling complete strangers from where we came. Questions about our previous Los Angeles lifestyle, really. However, I'm a firm believer that no one is treated like an outsider provided a person doesn't go about treating others with disrespect. In that case, there's reason someone would be treated as an outsider. Negative (and positive) stereotypes abound about every single type of person that walks this planet today... it depends on the individual whether or not they want to perpetuate the stereotype. Perpetuating the negative will generally stereotype a person as an outsider.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:59 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,086,083 times
Quote:
I have friend from Calif who say there is definitely an anti-California semtiment in the Pacific Northwest,
Heck yeah! I've got some hair raisin' stories about driving around Seattle with CA plates (and my husband is a PNW native!) but that's fodder for another forum. Still I believe you are probably right that there's more anti-Yankee sentiment, if anything in the Triangle, than anti-Californian sentiment.

Quote:
My one word of advice to Californians is: learn not to call highways "The [highway number]". It might be "The 10" or "the 5" out there, but here we just say "40", "440" etc.
I think that's more of a SoCal thing. When I lived in SF, I don't remember calling it "the 80" or "the 880" or "the 101", etc. Each section had a name and it was referred to by name or just the number without "the".

And pssssttttt....Northern Californians do NOT like Southern California!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,479 times
Hey Robyns.Nest, I assume you mean Santa Barbara, CA?? We moved from SB, CA in July '06. We thought it would be Raleigh, but ended up near Winston-Salem for a job. We were right off the 101 near Mission St.!!! I actually met a new friend in NC and told her how to get my house by saying 'take the 52' to exit, blah, blah. She immediately asked me if I was from CA because I said 'the' before the highway. I had no idea that was a Cali thing!

Back to the original question. I haven't had anyone treat me like an outsider, but I agree with the other person it is probably because we haven't completely invaded NC like we have the Pacific Northwest, Vegas, and Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyns.Nest View Post
We bought a house in Feb and are moving in July. We will be moving from S.B , CA right on "THE 101"

Sorry Francois, I know this is a pet peeve of yours from previous posts! Couldn't help it

We were received very warmly...almost to the point that it was overwhelmeing! I assure you that any hostility you come across will be smothered out by the genuine kindness and friendliness you will experience in the triangle. Oh and the service...outstanding!

We met Debbie F who posted above while in the area and she is one of the local gems!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 PM

132 posts, read 445,809 times
We moved to Cary from East bay in Jan '08. Never had any regrets

Nice and very friendly people.You don't have to worry about that at all !

This place is very family oriented with excellent schools and tons of stuff for kids.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 PM

8 posts, read 20,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Hopefully to the Wake Forest area cuz I love Californians!
I'd rather live near folks from the East. Both of my unfriendly neighbors are from CA and let their kids run wild in other's yards and seem to never take care of their pets.

The folks that actually wish to become decent neighbors are from a variety of places - native NC , other countries and other regions of the USA....not from California.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:39 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,087,513 times
Default I dream things that never where and say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenheredonemuch View Post
I'd rather live near folks from the East. Both of my unfriendly neighbors are from CA and let their kids run wild in other's yards and seem to never take care of their pets.

The folks that actually wish to become decent neighbors are from a variety of places - native NC , other countries and other regions of the USA....not from California.
Would you believe that the most fanatic religious person I’ve met here in Wake Forest was a California transplant? She came across as very judgmental at first but I later found her to be total sweetheart. She also made some awesome Mexican food. Moderator cut: off topic

Last edited by autumngal; 05-24-2008 at 05:50 AM.. Reason: no advertising please, ty

Old 05-23-2008, 08:46 PM

8 posts, read 20,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Would you believe that the most fanatic religious person I’ve met here in Wake Forest was a California transplant? She came across as very judgmental at first but I later found her to be total sweetheart. She also made some awesome Mexican food. Her husband, [MOD] off topic[/MOD]
[MOD] orphaned [/MOD] Really...why would you want to reward religous fanatics? The Seminary students are bad enough not paying any attention when they jaywalk.

I love the variety of people that have moved to Wake Forest in the past 10 years, but I want neighbors...not people that want to change Wake Forest into California East with money they cashed out of the real estate boom.

Last edited by autumngal; 05-24-2008 at 05:54 AM.. Reason: quote you are referring to has been removed

Old 05-23-2008, 09:05 PM

94 posts, read 315,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NChomesomeday View Post

And pssssttttt....Northern Californians do NOT like Southern California!

Hey Dude...I beg to differ! Just jelous (No sharks...warmer water...in SoCal) We still love each -other

Old 05-23-2008, 09:11 PM

94 posts, read 315,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenheredonemuch View Post

1. I love my pet! If I could clone her I would.
2. Not only do my 2 kids run wild in the yard...my husband and I join them
3. You have obviously not met enough Californians!

Oh and we have neighbors that are not only Californians and we get along great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary