Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:52 AM

331 posts, read 1,310,887 times

Advertisements

I hope this is not too dumb of a question. I have heard stories all around about people who move from California being treated as outsiders. I find this hard to believe but would like to hear some thoughts and opinions.

Thanks! We are on our way in 3 weeks and CANT WAIT!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 09:56 AM

33 posts, read 83,500 times
We moved from Fremont, CA to Raleigh almost a year ago, we've never felt or been treated like outsiders.

Old 05-23-2008, 10:08 AM

153 posts, read 459,882 times
We moved from So Cal and no problems here...that goes for locals and transplants. Most people are just curious about CA and ask questions.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:35 AM

51 posts, read 137,442 times
I certainly hope not! I am coming from San Jose in mid-July, and I cannot wait! I'll be at UNC on campus in a grad program, so my experience will be a bit different, but either way Chapel Hill is home for the next 5 years, and I could not be happier about it.

Old 05-23-2008, 12:10 PM

635 posts, read 3,091,689 times
Moved from San Jose, CA in late 2005, and we've loved it.

My wife's family is all located in the SF Bay Area, and there are certainly things about CA we miss, but we've been absolutely overwhelmed with the welcome we've received here.

We first lived in Cary for a year, renting a house until we settled in Sanford.

Cary is a great place, but it really isn't representative of NC in our opinion. Due to the rapid growth of Cary and the transplant demographic, one's experience in Cary may be a bit more big-town "cool" and "disconnected", similar to other big metro areas many residents there came from.

But that being said, we made several friends, and really liked the area.

After renting there a year though, we decided to trade all the convenience and luxury of Cary for a more rural small town experience, and moved to Sanford.

In the two years we've been in Sanford, we've made more friends, become more involved in our community, and felt more "engaged" than in 10 years living in San Jose.

In San Jose, everything was so fast paced, folks were so transitional, and nothing seemed very personal. Here, we can point to several things we have personally affected and had input into. We even setup a neighborhood debate for our city council representative, and the Mayor waves at us in public and knows us by name. That's hard to experience in a burgeoning metropolis, or even mini-metropolis like Cary.

But regardless of whether you choose Raleigh, Durham, Cary, or a smaller satellite community, I think you'll find that NC has a diverse, tolerant, and educated populace that will be welcoming. I've not heard of any area that is insular or resistant to "outsiders" in any way. In fact, it has been the opposite.

Good luck!
Al

Old 05-23-2008, 12:46 PM

1,540 posts, read 5,561,845 times
I also have clients that moved from California to Creedmoor and love it.

Old 05-23-2008, 03:54 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
I have friend from Calif who say there is definitely an anti-California semtiment in the Pacific Northwest, but not here in the East (probably because there aren't as many Californians moving here, I'd guess). Any anti-"there" sentiment you'll get here will probably be aimed toward NY, NJ, and the Northeast, where a large number of transplants leave to move to this area. I think in general, anti-transplant sentiment comes when there is a huge migration of folks from one area into another, bringing their "ways" with them and conflicting with the local way of life.

My one word of advice to Californians is: learn not to call highways "The [highway number]". It might be "The 10" or "the 5" out there, but here we just say "40", "440" etc.

Old 05-23-2008, 05:48 PM

3,950 posts, read 5,086,255 times
Default Some men see things as they are and ask why

Most North Carolinians will like anyone that is genuine. If you are passionate about the environment, hate George Bush, are shocked at the current price of gas, and can express your thoughts on these topics eloquently then you’ll do just fine here. Just remember that it’s just as important to listen as it is to talk. Not just hear but actually listen…

Old 05-23-2008, 05:58 PM

119 posts, read 367,886 times
Lori1961...what area are you moving to???

Old 05-23-2008, 06:00 PM

94 posts, read 315,394 times
We bought a house in Feb and are moving in July. We will be moving from S.B , CA right on "THE 101"

Sorry Francois, I know this is a pet peeve of yours from previous posts! Couldn't help it

We were received very warmly...almost to the point that it was overwhelmeing! I assure you that any hostility you come across will be smothered out by the genuine kindness and friendliness you will experience in the triangle. Oh and the service...outstanding!

We met Debbie F who posted above while in the area and she is one of the local gems!

Last edited by Robyns.Nest; 05-23-2008 at 06:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary