Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2022, 11:35 AM

40 posts, read 50,954 times

Advertisements

The pain feels like it might be a meniscus problem, says Dr. Google.

Any recent recommendations for doctors who specialize in knees? Really don't want surgery, if possible. Ready to do the hard work if I can avoid the knife.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2022, 03:19 PM

2,486 posts, read 2,546,172 times
Get an X-ray!

Raleigh Ortho or EmergeOrtho have been great. Each has urgent care with great staff.

Use care using Google medical advice; I* trust only stuff from Mayo Clinic, Cleveland Clinic.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20354818

On YouTube, "Bob & Brad" have the best videos for physical therapy, once you get problem identified, fixed, etc.

*Torn miniscus survivor.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:17 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,720,580 times
Agreed. Get it x-rayed at one of the ortho urgent care clinics. If it's minor, they might prescribe an anti-inflammatory. Otherwise they will probably send you for an MRI to get a better idea of the problem. I had a partial meniscus tear several years ago and was able to avoid surgery by doing PT. Good luck.

Old 06-14-2022, 08:25 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,854,453 times
Duke’s ortho urgent care clinics are very good too.

Old 06-16-2022, 03:35 PM

428 posts, read 224,715 times
Having had several athletically active kids, I can say for the knee you likely need at MRI. While an X-ray can help rule out some problems with the knee that cause similar symptoms, these types of injuries typically need an MRI to produce an image of the cartilage in your knee area.

Old 06-16-2022, 04:12 PM

1,847 posts, read 3,730,342 times
A little off topic, but my long-term knee issue, turned out to be a sciatic nerve problem. This was after an ortho diagnosing without an XRAY or MRI, was scheduling me for MRI just to prep for surgery. MRI showed nothing wrong with my meniscus. Quickly changed docs. Beware when the 1st suggestion is surgery and not PT.

Old 06-16-2022, 05:01 PM

311 posts, read 299,263 times
I hear nothing but good things about Scott Kelly at Duke - 919 471 9622. I think he does knees. The person referring me had both hips done - and the second one was while he was awake!!! The referral came from an extremely active 60+ male who still does motocross. He said he was walking down the hall after just a single rest day and the incision was only a couple of inches. He told me that Kelly went to Europe to learn special surgery techniques and uses epidurals instead of general anesthesia. He is supposed to be top of his class.

Personally, I dont know if I could be conscious to have that done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txjax6Mc4MQ

Last edited by udelslayer; 06-16-2022 at 05:32 PM..

Old 06-17-2022, 08:24 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,866,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udelslayer View Post
I hear nothing but good things about Scott Kelly at Duke - 919 471 9622. I think he does knees. The person referring me had both hips done - and the second one was while he was awake!!! The referral came from an extremely active 60+ male who still does motocross. He said he was walking down the hall after just a single rest day and the incision was only a couple of inches. He told me that Kelly went to Europe to learn special surgery techniques and uses epidurals instead of general anesthesia. He is supposed to be top of his class.

Personally, I dont know if I could be conscious to have that done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Txjax6Mc4MQ
DH had hip replacement last year with Scott Kelly, so I can fill in some blanks and second the recommendation FOR HIP REPLACEMENT.

As frequent CD'rs probably can attest, I'm a bit over the top with health related issues (having a rare, hard to diagnose, generally fatal or disabling brain disease can do that to you.) I'm a HUGE believer in second opinions (occasionally third), younger doctors (especially surgeons) and the newer techniques (especially those that include computer assisted or minimally invasive techniques).

So - when DH (age 78, and gets zero exercise) needed hip replacement, I did my 'research things and quickly decided he was getting the anterior muscle sparring surgery. Finding a surgeon who specialized in that was surprisingly difficult. Kelly was one of them, and after visits with other surgeons, the one DH selected.

Results: Out of hospital in 22 hours using a walker. Two days later, walking with a cane (except at night as a precaution). Within 6 days, he didn't need the canes. No PT required. Never took a pain killer (he does have a very high pain tolerance).

Would we use him for diagnosing something? Nope - that's not his specialty. Would we use him for knee replacement? Maybe, but probably not (80% or more of his surgeries are hips. I want the surgeon who does 80% knees with computer assisted bone shaving.) Need the other hip done in the next 5 years or so? Yep, no question.

BTW you're not awake. The spinal anesthesia is for pain control. They knock you out using similar drugs like you get for a colonoscopy.

Can't recommend the surgeon who replaced one of DH's knees. He retired at 54.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:50 AM

311 posts, read 299,263 times
Thats good info.

Dang....retired at 54? Seems early for a surgeon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
View detailed profiles of: