Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2022, 08:25 AM

58 posts, read 41,349 times

Advertisements

Back to what Heel82 said, the Grant of Rights and money from TV forfeited for years from any team that left the ACC looks pretty cost prohibitive to me. At least for some time. So, maybe we have a few years before any ACC school potentially leaves.

Great points though about Notre Dame. They are the key and I really didn't consider too much your point about ESPN having incentive to overpay to keep them away from Fox. It could happen and really, it seems to me that would be good to keep the power out of the hands of just two leagues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2022, 10:28 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,546,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentsammy View Post
Back to what Heel82 said, the Grant of Rights and money from TV forfeited for years from any team that left the ACC looks pretty cost prohibitive to me. At least for some time. So, maybe we have a few years before any ACC school potentially leaves.

Great points though about Notre Dame. They are the key and I really didn't consider too much your point about ESPN having incentive to overpay to keep them away from Fox. It could happen and really, it seems to me that would be good to keep the power out of the hands of just two leagues.
I think schools will figure a way out of the GOR contracts they signed (OK and TX can pave the way on that one). The alternative is that if ESPN/FOX are paying each school $75-100M per year, then forking over $15M of that annually to buy out your ACC share, still leaves you well ahead financially. Not to mention, if ACC football implodes, ESPN will look to change their football contract with the ACC so they are paying less for the product. With the money being so ridiculously huge, there are all sorts of options on the table

Old 07-04-2022, 12:17 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,361,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
I think schools will figure a way out of the GOR contracts they signed (OK and TX can pave the way on that one). The alternative is that if ESPN/FOX are paying each school $75-100M per year, then forking over $15M of that annually to buy out your ACC share, still leaves you well ahead financially. Not to mention, if ACC football implodes, ESPN will look to change their football contract with the ACC so they are paying less for the product. With the money being so ridiculously huge, there are all sorts of options on the table
It's unlikely schools in the ACC can get out of the Grant of Rights. That's why Texas and Oklahoma are still in the Big 12 and not already in the SEC. For the Big 12, those rights expire in 2024, which is when both schools are scheduled to join the SEC. For the ACC, that is 2036, which purposefully makes snapping up an ACC school unattractive to other conferences. A school can challenge the Grant of Rights in court, but the cost will be high and the chances of success low.

Old 07-05-2022, 08:52 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,349,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Deep dive.

- Notre Dame is the straw that stirs the drinks. If Notre Dame decides the environment is too unstable for independence, and they finally decide money is the way to go, it will be a battle of networks. If ESPN wants to keep them away from Fox, they should open up their wallets to get them full-time in the ACC or even the SEC. Both give them access to Florida and allow them not to simply become another Midwestern Big 10 program. Fox obviously wants Notre Dame, and USC was the ultimate carrot short of Stanford. The fate of the world is in the hands of the Irish.
I heard that Norte Dame might be willing to join the Big Ten, if Stanford also joins. Since that would help preserve that rivalry. With USC, Stanford (if they join as well), Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue in the Big Ten, all Notre Dame would have to do is schedule Navy each season!

Old 07-05-2022, 05:42 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,260,454 times
If the ACC goes kaboom, I think Wake Forest will end up in the same conference as Davidson and University of Richmond. There should be a conference for smart student athletes. These schools should have programs for the student athletes on how to become an agent/sports management. LSAT prep class. Maybe even pre-med for sports medicine program.

Old 07-05-2022, 07:11 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
If the ACC goes kaboom, I think Wake Forest will end up in the same conference as Davidson and University of Richmond. There should be a conference for smart student athletes. These schools should have programs for the student athletes on how to become an agent/sports management. LSAT prep class. Maybe even pre-med for sports medicine program.
Agreed. My wife graduated from UR and I've thought WF has more in common as an institution with Richmond than it does with most of its ACC brethren.

Interesting times are ahead indeed.

Old 07-06-2022, 02:53 AM

4,305 posts, read 5,995,875 times
I'm a UR grad as well, and yes, UR and Wake have a fair bit in common, and in fact have a historical relationship in basketball thanks to the Robins family, though it's been on hold for a few years. Wake obviously has much more substantial graduate programs including a med school. Davidson has no graduate programs at all.

The three schools are also currently vastly different on the football field...with Wake currently being a successful FBS program (coincidentally under Clawson, a former UR coach), UR being a solid FCS program, and Davidson being a non-scholarship program.

I think if the top conferences break away from the NCAA, you could see remaining FBS programs and top FCS programs reunite and reconfigure and that could bring Wake and UR together, but otherwise I think Wake will strive to remain at the FBS level. There will be other ACC leftovers even after the SEC and Big 10 pick off what they want, and they will probably stick together and raid the AAC and Sun Belt, but it'll certainly be a step down.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:46 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,060,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
I'm a UR grad as well, and yes, UR and Wake have a fair bit in common, and in fact have a historical relationship in basketball thanks to the Robins family, though it's been on hold for a few years. Wake obviously has much more substantial graduate programs including a med school. Davidson has no graduate programs at all.

The three schools are also currently vastly different on the football field...with Wake currently being a successful FBS program (coincidentally under Clawson, a former UR coach), UR being a solid FCS program, and Davidson being a non-scholarship program.

I think if the top conferences break away from the NCAA, you could see remaining FBS programs and top FCS programs reunite and reconfigure and that could bring Wake and UR together, but otherwise I think Wake will strive to remain at the FBS level. There will be other ACC leftovers even after the SEC and Big 10 pick off what they want, and they will probably stick together and raid the AAC and Sun Belt, but it'll certainly be a step down.
I don't know.. I could see Wake Forest possibly using the ACC's implosion as an excuse to reassess its priorities and deciding to step down (in truth, I think a lot of the lower FBS schools should do this and if there is a P2 vs rest of major college football split I think a lot of the ODUs, JMUs, Appy States, may perform a similar reassessment).

Interesting side note on Clawson: He was the football coach at UR when my wife went there... and his alma mater is actually my father in law's (Williams).

Of course, with all this realignment nobody really has a clue what is going to happen. But as always, the moves will be quiet and sudden. If later today, a massive shift were announced it would shock me... but not surprise me... if that makes sense.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:52 AM

6,657 posts, read 5,599,367 times
Meanwhile Vanderbilt is still in the SEC - I mean good for them for being lucky and being in the right conference but they're a similar Wake school with not much to offer sports wise and a smaller school.

Old 07-06-2022, 07:54 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,134 posts, read 7,586,619 times
My my my....how the tables have turned just 8 years later Mr. ACC, bwahahaha!.... signed Maryland fan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary