Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 06:53 PM

58 posts, read 41,264 times

Advertisements

Clemson, FSU and Miami, are all in states with current SEC members. I'm not sure USC and Florida will be too happy to welcome them to their league. Time will tell...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2022, 07:09 PM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentsammy View Post
Clemson, FSU and Miami, are all in states with current SEC members. I'm not sure USC and Florida will be too happy to welcome them to their league. Time will tell...
All that ultimately matters in this current expansion scenario is does adding school X increase my payout from conference. Adding Clemson adds a marquee matchup that draws viewers, and there’s significant revenue from that. If SC has more money flowing in as a result of adding Clemson, not sure why they’d be unhappy. Did FSU get upset when Miami got added to the ACC?

Old 07-06-2022, 07:34 PM

58 posts, read 41,264 times
Of course money is a factor but I can't see why a school that is already struggling to attract recruits and compete (S. Carolina) would want a direct competitor to share in the spoils of all that $$.. It's been rumored for years that Kentucky, SC and Florida have an agreement to block other schools in their state from joining the league.

The ACC needed FSU and Miami much more to improve their football standing. Unfortunately, it hasn't really worked out with Miami and FSU worked for some time but has fallen off the map in the last decade or so..

Is it true.. and, will greed win out? We'll see...

Old 07-06-2022, 09:30 PM

4,159 posts, read 2,850,035 times
The rumor of the theory about blocking new in-state schools seems to have been laid to rest with Texas A&M being powerless to stop Texas. Whether FSU/Miami provide enough to overcome the fact they don’t expand the market is an open question. I think Clemson does, but then SC is still rather small. New markets (NCSU, UNC, Virginia, VPI) seem nearly as important as extra quality.

Old 07-07-2022, 04:23 AM

426 posts, read 223,618 times
Quote:
They left out of the article that it is also the school that had a fake major that allowed players to do zero work. Sterling academic reputation indeed...
Wolpfact?

Old 07-07-2022, 08:36 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,278,872 times
Quote:
They left out of the article that it is also the school that had a fake major that allowed players to do zero work. Sterling academic reputation indeed...
And those classes were still harder than most SEC school core courses..lol

I still think the cannibalization has started and will not end up good. If I were UNC, I’d stay put and move away from market panic. This thing is out of control and somehow the NCAA should’ve capped conference revenue $500 million (of course with yearly increases) and membership at 16 teams. No way the conference model starts intact, no one is safe until the music stops…2 conferences with divisions of heavy weights..basically, the NFL

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 07-07-2022 at 08:55 AM..

Old 07-08-2022, 07:11 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,406,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
And those classes were still harder than most SEC school core courses..lol

I still think the cannibalization has started and will not end up good. If I were UNC, I’d stay put and move away from market panic. This thing is out of control and somehow the NCAA should’ve capped conference revenue $500 million (of course with yearly increases) and membership at 16 teams. No way the conference model starts intact, no one is safe until the music stops…2 conferences with divisions of heavy weights..basically, the NFL

Then all the small schools get culled from the conferences ( Vandy) and the ones left out re-organize. I bet the super conferences break up. Id much rather the ACC stay intact and ride this out somehow however unlikely that is.

Old 07-08-2022, 07:38 AM

6,378 posts, read 5,494,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by muslim12 View Post
Then all the small schools get culled from the conferences ( Vandy) and the ones left out re-organize. I bet the super conferences break up. Id much rather the ACC stay intact and ride this out somehow however unlikely that is.
I think it is far less likely than speculators want it to be. But scandalization gets attention/clicks.

Old 07-08-2022, 11:35 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,771,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
I think it is far less likely than speculators want it to be. But scandalization gets attention/clicks.
I just don’t see how at least one of Notre Dame or Clemson sticks around long term with this new landscape. The Grant of Rights stuff is a hurdle, but there’s so much money at stake, it seems worth tackling.

And if either of those go, the ACC is clearly diminished. ND is easier to deal with, although those tie-in FB games have a lot of value that’s hard to replace. Losing Clemson would be devastating. A school that might’ve accepted the current status quo of an ACC that pays out far less than the P2 is now looking at losing a big driver of the entire conference’s value in football. The haves are going to be looking at their options, and the ACC will come up short.

It really seems more a factor of when, not if.

Old 07-08-2022, 03:45 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,001 times
Unless a school can overcome the Grant of Rights, which is a high hurdle and unlikely, the school has zero value to the SEC or B1G. Each school in those conferences will take home ~$100 million, so any school that is added needs to bring at least that much additional revenue, or the other schools have to take a pay cut willingly (very unlikely). Even without the GoR, are there any ACC schools that can increase the media rights of the SEC by $100 million or more? I'm highly doubtful any can, but maybe Clemson?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary