Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 10:29 PM

8 posts, read 23,064 times

Advertisements

hi i from mass and are looking to reloacate to maybe the clayton area. my husband and i looked at the cary, holly springs are but didn't visit clayton on our last trip. im looking for some more info on flowers plantation. is it far from any medical centers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 08:01 AM

567 posts, read 2,134,197 times
Default Flowers

The Flowers Plantation area is close to Johnston Memorial Hospital in Smithfield (15 minutes) and also close to WakeMed Medical Center in East Raleigh (20-25 minutes).

That is correct about the taxes - you pay Johnston County taxes if outside the city limits of Clayton. This includes the Flowers area.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:43 PM

237 posts, read 913,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Clayton is 1.3% of the assessed value of your home??? That is higher than
San Diego County, CA!!! Ahhhhhhh
What are you nuts the houses we are looking at would be 2 million in ca and still not on an acre plus .
600k for a 1200 sqft 50 year old house. the houses in clayton I am looking at are 2500sqft plus they are new and on an acre plus find that in san diego for a million. even you cant.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:53 PM

237 posts, read 913,451 times
Default Im from jersey

The prices in clayton and the taxes I did not beleive I lived in crazy jersey where the same houses I am lookin at in clayton for 200k to 250k . They would be 500k plus with taxes of $8000 to 10000 a year taxes on the house in clayton are around $2000. When you break that down monthly the same house (and dont forget the houses in clayton are new) in jersey bring your tool belt they are 25 to 50 years old and on way smaller lots. And these old people have not changed a door knob in most of them . Jersey the payment on a 500k home with taxes of $8000 Is around $3700 . In clayton a better house For 250k with taxes of $2000 the payment is going to be about $1670.. Now that is a savings of $2030 a month over $24,000 a year . If my wife make $32,000 a year after all her deduction that is what she will take home. Her whole yearly salary to live in a not even as good home in Jersey . Now do you see why so many of us are moving out of here to there.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:05 PM

214 posts, read 700,335 times
Can anyone explain what benefits you get from living "inside city limits"? I don't really understand this. Where I moved from, there were 2 tax rates but one was for homes and the other was for businesses. But all the homes paid the same real estate tax rate and received the same services. Just curious.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:10 PM

653 posts, read 2,979,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshel88 View Post
Can anyone explain what benefits you get from living "inside city limits"? I don't really understand this. Where I moved from, there were 2 tax rates but one was for homes and the other was for businesses. But all the homes paid the same real estate tax rate and received the same services. Just curious.
First, it's a revenue thing - city taxes go to the city governement, while county taxes support the county. Within the city limits, you'll have access to services such as city water, sewer, trash pickup, etc.

If you're outside the city limits, you'll either have community sewer/water, with a contracted trash company, etc., or you'll be on septic with a well (either personal or neighborhood).

In your day-to-day life, you won't really notice a difference. The actual city limits of Clayton are pretty small, and most of the new growth is outside those limits.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:42 PM

161 posts, read 681,811 times
I agree with Cakeprincess and so do many of my Clayton clients. When it comes to home pricing, it is all relative. Raleigh is actually just mid range home pricing Nationally. The deal is that the other advantages, healthy growth, low unemployment etc.. is what makes the average priced home seem like an even greater value. Taxes are a great deal cheaper than NY. I moved from Smithtown/St. James about a year ago and my taxes were actually $ 16,000.!!! If you buy a new home in the area cakeprincess mentioned- for example 2100 sq ft home for 240,000. your taxes, I estimate would be $ 1500. That's great for a new home with nice lot and great schools. Clayton is an excellent value. If you Moderator cut: Realtor Solicitation

Old 04-05-2007, 06:10 PM

653 posts, read 2,979,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnsprufera View Post
I agree with Cakeprincess and so do many of my Clayton clients. When it comes to home pricing, it is all relative. Raleigh is actually just mid range home pricing Nationally. The deal is that the other advantages, healthy growth, low unemployment etc.. is what makes the average priced home seem like an even greater value. Taxes are a great deal cheaper than NY. I moved from Smithtown/St. James about a year ago and my taxes were actually $ 16,000.!!! If you buy a new home in the area cakeprincess mentioned- for example 2100 sq ft home for 240,000. your taxes, I estimate would be $ 1500. That's great for a new home with nice lot and great schools. Clayton is an excellent value. If you want a free relocation kit, maps, school guides, magazines etc.. pm me with an address. It helps a lot.
Is that $1500 outside the city limits? Which county tax schedule are you using? Within the city limits, it will be higher, and Wake County is reassessing home values in 2008, so expect taxes to inch up as assessed value gets closer to market value on many homes.

Wake County Tax Schedule:
http://www.wakegov.com/NR/rdonlyres/3075F8F0-0939-413A-8CDE-EE09921BA00D/0/TaxRates2006.pdf

Johnston County Tax Schedule:
http://www.johnstonnc.com/mainpage.c...ontent_id=1000

Franklin County Tax Schedule:
http://www.co.franklin.nc.us/docs/taxrates.pdf (broken link)

A house assessed at 240k in Flowers Plantation will run $1872 per year. (Johnston County tax is .78% of assessed value.) The same house in the city limits of Clayton will be $3048 total city and county.

Old 04-24-2007, 07:46 PM

850 posts, read 3,619,209 times
We live in Clayton near Flowers...sort of. Technically we're in Clayton as we pay Clayton property taxes and go to Clayton schools but Wendell handles our mail (though Wendell is in Wake County and we most def are not...we're Johnston county). So we pay Johnston county taxes but no Clayton city taxes. We have a septic system and have county water (no well!) We pay for private trash collection and take our recyclables to the county recycle center (free). You do have the option of taking your own trash to the county dump for a $50/year fee, I believe.

Oh and we also relocated from NJ last year. We have 2200sqft, 3bdrm/2.5 bath iwth bonus room, LR, DR, EIK on almost 3/4 acre wooded lot. House prices have risen about $15,000 since we purchased last summer in our subdivision so our UNDER $200K home is now nearing $220K.

Someday we'll probably be annexed into Clayton and pay Clayton Taxes but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it.
Lauren

Old 04-24-2007, 08:38 PM

233 posts, read 858,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieshel88 View Post
I don't see any benefit to living in the city limits of CLayton. Infact, 6 years ago when we were house-searching in Clayton we specifically we looking to buy a home outside the city limits. If you live within the city limits (and we have friends that do), you have to pay whatever they're charging for trash/sewer & water. Then they sell you electricity at their outrageous rates, you pay to the Town of Clayton for electric, not Progress Energy. Anyone I know who lives in the city limits complains about the electric rates.

We too, expect to be annexed into the city limits down the road in the next few years. We live off of Amelia Church Rd, just past where they extended the newest city limits signs to include the Winston Subdivision and Coxwoods Rd. With the Johnston Medical/Urgent Care facility going in on the corner of Hwy 42 & Amelia Church Rd., I'm sure it won't be too long before they get us in their grasp. We'll just all cross that bridge when it happens, no one in my neighborhood is excited at that prospect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary