Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 08:46 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times

Advertisements

We were approached in the past two weeks by a young man, who got out of an older Mercedes sedan, with a group of other young people, going door-to-door trying to sell magazines to raise funds for inner-city children. A year ago, the magazine sales were to place issues in the pediatric wards of local hospitals. Duke was cited.

I think these approaches have the common element of appealing to one's emotions -- at least with the magazines.

I haven't seen the door-to-door cleaning products people. I hope you haven't been 'scammed' with a lesser product. Shame we live in such times, but I suppose, historically, there have always been incidents like these. I think I might have asked them to sell me the demo bottle, even if it was half-full, just to let them know I wasn't sure of the product.

Old 06-18-2008, 07:07 PM

2 posts, read 8,091 times
Post A word to stick up for us door to door folks...

I'm a canvasser for a great nonprofit that is completely legit. We hire trustworthy folks, get permits from the city/state, and put people's contributions to good work. I understand completely folks' hesitancy in this day and age. But complete fear is usually unnecessary.

If it's a cleaning product scam, or something along those lines, okaaay, I get it, that's sketchy. But if it's a group with a permit, a proven track record, and a friendly face, let's take a step back from the world we live in and interact with the person on your doorstep.

You don't need to let them in, and you could always come outside and shut the door behind you.

So no matter how you feel on the issue, here are a few tips across the board:

1 - Know that canvassing is legal, as long as an organization has a permit.

2 - Notice the person's behavior. If they're craning their neck around you or ogling your big house, it's perfectly natural to be wary. But as a canvasser myself, I treat everyone the same. I show the same respect to a poor college kid as I do to a millionnaire. Yesterday a woman gave me a $15 donation, and 2 doors down a man handed me a hundred dollar bill - I thanked them both the same because they both did 2 key things: they gave me a chance, and they both made a difference in my campaign.

3 - Be straightforward. If you're going to say no, say no. If you're going to say no, but want to hear about the campaign anyway, say so. IF they're a good canvasser, they'll be excited to talk about it (and if they're with my group, they'll ask you to sign a petition or volunteer, or at least look us up online), and unless your neighborhood has left them frazzled, 9 times out of 10 the opportunity to build a relationship with the community is enough. And if you care about the issue, be straightforward with that too! MY FAVORITE PEOPLE say one of two things: "Thanks for coming out here, but I'm not going to sign up" (at which point I thank them and go) or "Yep, I'm with it, cut the spiel, what do you want?"

4 - BE NICE. Whether you hate being asked for money, are afraid of the world outside your door, or hate hippies and college kids, please be nice. When I was younger I made a hobby of keeping a telemarketer on the phone for as long as possible. Now, though, I at least show them a little respect even if I weasel my way off the phone asap. The key to this is very simple: put yourself in the canvasser's shoes. They've had a long day walking out in the sun/rain/snow/ice/wind/bugs/Bush territory and are probably out there because they care about what they're working for, or maybe they just really need a job, but either way, they haven't done anything wrong. And let's face it - most people are just as rude as you were, so we're not raking in the big bucks here. If I wanted to scam you I'd probably be a lot cleverer and a LOT lazier about it!

It's legal if it's a legit cause, and if you arent interested you can say no thanks. They're not forcing themselves into your home, and if you dont' want to listen to them they'll take up approximately 15 seconds of your time. You dont' have to pretend to care about their campaign, but you can ACTUALLY care about THEM. Offer them some water, or, you know, don't sick your dog on them.

Sorry for rambling...2 final things. One is a few tips on how to see if it's legit, and the other is a quick argument in favor of canvassing.

Is the Canvasser Legit?

Some key things to start with are:

1, is the person twitching, swaying, or generally acting like a junkie?

2, Do they have something to identify their organization? Can they tell you their director's name?

3, Do they know where people's contributions go?

4, If you ask if you can do it later, or look up the website, what do they say? IF they say yes, but with me is better, that's NOT a red flag - it's the truth. They cut out online fees, and make getting involved quick and easy for you, and insure that you won't forget to give. IF they say no, it's a limited time offer, or get antsy about a website or physical office address, that IS a red flag. A good canvasser wants you to get involved right then and there for obvious reasons, but they will also encourage you to do it later. No, we dont' get credit if you do it online. Nonprofits don't have time for that. But the good eggs want you to get involved, period, because it's that good of a cause.

And finally...my quick argument in favor of canvassing.

Genuine personal interactions are incredibly rare these days, and canvassers, quite simply, exercise free speech while challenging you to stop TALKING about the issues and DO something right then and there. You give your hard-earned money to causes you don't believe in EVERY day - to giant corporations that never give back to the community, to Big Oil, to questionably traded goods that fall apart soon after. We're not there to guilt trip you or make you angry, we're there to give you an opportunity to give to something you actually BELIEVE in. If you don't believe in what we're talking about, you shouldn't give! But if you do, and you're able to, then you should. We won't make you, and if you don't we'll tell you to have a great night anyway. But if you do, you'll brighten our night because it's one more person that wants to do something good, and we're one step closer to creating positive social change.

Alright, I'm done canvassing this forum

Old 06-19-2008, 11:11 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Our community posts "No Soliciting" signs at all entrances, so canvassing is trespassing.

Since some "canvassers" are questionable, I tell all that I'm captain of our Neighborhood watch (true) and, since they look nice, will give them 5 minutes to leave before calling the police or management team.

We enforce the rule to protect residents form confidence operators, thieves, and worse.

The bad have ruined soliciting for the good, sorry.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,869 times
well i had a african american female come to my house with a huge jacket on and a little kids school backpack.
she asked for my mom.
she stepped into my house cause she had said she was cold.
well the first thing she said was im not your worst nightmare.
we got scared!!!!!!
well she started talking about being a single mother and a drug addict or she is "recovering" and trying to get better..
well it was freaky.
then she asked for a drink
so we got her one
she was selling her product for $47.50
when she realized we weren't gonna buy anything she asked to use the bathroom!
well my mom told us to get out of the living room
but the next thing we heard was my cabinet shut in my bathroom.
well we got freaked out.
she didnt go to house to house like she said she skipped like 10 houses!
but anyways got any opinions or if it happened to you
talk to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grawburg View Post
So two girls saying that they were in a rehab program for single mothers to get them sales skills and they're selling bottles of cleaner for $40 a pop here in Cary?!!?? Anyone else see them or people selling the same stuff? Just wondered if they were legit.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by these people scare me! View Post
well i had a african american female come to my house with a huge jacket on and a little kids school backpack.
she asked for my mom.
she stepped into my house cause she had said she was cold.
well the first thing she said was im not your worst nightmare.
we got scared!!!!!!
well she started talking about being a single mother and a drug addict or she is "recovering" and trying to get better..
well it was freaky.
then she asked for a drink
so we got her one
she was selling her product for $47.50
when she realized we weren't gonna buy anything she asked to use the bathroom!
well my mom told us to get out of the living room
but the next thing we heard was my cabinet shut in my bathroom.
well we got freaked out.
she didnt go to house to house like she said she skipped like 10 houses!
but anyways got any opinions or if it happened to you
talk to me
Are any prescription meds missing from your bathroom cabinet?

Sounds like that was her goal.

You were very lucky you got off safely. Do not let these strangers in your home. If they say they need help, offer to summon police for them while they wait outside.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:10 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Are any prescription meds missing from your bathroom cabinet?

Sounds like that was her goal.

You were very lucky you got off safely. Do not let these strangers in your home. If they say they need help, offer to summon police for them while they wait outside.
You said she asked for your mom, I'm going to make an assumption here. If you are under 18 do not answer the door if you do not know how it is. Look out a window or such. If you don't know the person get your mom or dad. If they are not home do NOT answer the door.

BTW, if you had purses or wallets near the door or near the bathroom make sure that you are not missing credit cards or personal info. Have your mom report this to the police. (She can call the non-emergency number to report it.) And if your neighborhood has a listserve post about your experience so others can be aware of this.

Old 02-03-2009, 06:43 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,949 times
sounds like AMWAY ...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:05 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
Wow, don't EVER let someone just "barge her way in" to your house, cold or not. And that comment about "I'm not your worst nightmare" is not only bizarre, but it, too, sets off alarms.

It's water under the bridge now, but don't EVER let someone whom you didn't invite go into any part of your house that's not right by the door; if you are a male, she could have claimed you tried to rape her, etc. (not to mention theft or pulling a weapon on you).

Sadly, it's gotten to where we don't even answer the front door anymore; we peek outside and if we recognize the car, we will answer it, but otherwise, if we aren't expecting someone, we won't go to the door at all.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:12 AM

72 posts, read 283,417 times
I only answer the door if it's the UPS guy or the pizza man.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:57 AM

158 posts, read 472,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLizzie View Post
I'm a canvasser for a great nonprofit that is completely legit.
A nonprofit company that does what? You failed to share any details of what your nonprofit company does.

Listen, if you collect money for a charitable cause, that's a great thing... but your method is not. Door to door sales is invasive, rude, and a waste of people's time. It's insulting to open your door to someone's sales pitch who is obviously banking on you not being smart enough to realize what it is they're doing. It doesn't matter if you have good will or not. There are plenty of other 'legit' methods to collecting charitable funds or selling a product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary