Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2008, 06:09 PM

64 posts, read 185,810 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on relocating our family to the Chapel Hill (specifically Carrboro) area. We've done all our research on the area and visited a few times. We absolutely love the area and it is an awesome fit for us and the lifestyle we desire. My husband's only hang up is that is seems to be a bastion of liberal minded, well-educated friendly folks in an overall very conservative state. I, personally, don't think that we'll be impacted that much it, but his concern is with NC state laws and policies being drive by an overwhelming conservative line of thought. He's kind of overprotective when it comes to things like education and health care which are held in the hands of the states and not the individual cities so much.

Is this something to worry about.. or not at all?

Does anyone have any thoughts about this or experiences they could share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 07:23 PM

1,955 posts, read 5,267,243 times
I live in Carrboro, and yes, this area is very left-leaning, but it's all a lot of hype - burnt-out hippies and a few activist college students with nothing better to do than talk about their political visions.

That being said, it's actually a very tolerant idea. If you're going to be a right-wing activist who makes a lot of noise, you might not make a lot of friends, but if you're a nice person, you shouldn't have outright enemies either. I love the area, and I'm far from being a leftist, or a rightist for that matter

You should love it here. I know I do.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:46 PM

Gosh.. after I read my question.. I think I came across very ambiguous. We are in fact, liberal. Not that we go around spouting our political beliefs in the face of everyone we meet but we are very left leaning, which is why we think Carrboro would be a great fit for us. We are just the type of people who like to live and let live. My husband's concern is conservative thought dictating state policy that could in turn effect education or health care. We may be a little over protective of our beliefs because we currently live in an area that is exceedingly conservative and very focused on religion. We don't even feel comfortable saying that we don't go to church.. and to even make mention of the fact that you might be the d-word (democrat) is an automatic withdrawl from most social networks. So, needless to say, we are very focused on finding a place were we feel comfortable even being ourselves.

Last edited by megh; 05-24-2008 at 08:56 PM..

Old 05-24-2008, 09:29 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times
North Carolina has a very active Democratic Party and in fact has only had three Republican governors since reconstruction. The majority of state government right now is dominated by Democrats. I don't think there is social stigma associated with the "D" word. North Carolina has always prided itself on being an education state. The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is the oldest state university in the country, not to mention one of the biggest bargains in a state university these days.

It's not perfect, nowhere is, but it sounds as though your husband's information on state politics is based on the state's votes in national elections. There is a big difference in how this state votes on local issues vs. national issues. A lot of people here are all about small federal government and state's rights, and that drives a lot of the votes in national elections. However, I'd venture that North Carolinians also have a strong desire to take care of their fellow citizens. On balance, it is a very middle-of-the-road state.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
North Carolina is a "Red state" in Presidential elections, but is NOT, as you say "an overwhelmingly conservative state". Actually, it's "purple", with the governor and the state legislature run by Democrats.

Compared to other Southern states, we are much more moderate--not sure where you heard we were "overwhelmingly conservative". Was it from someone who's actually lived here or who just made an assumption?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:57 AM

4,242 posts, read 8,775,391 times
You'll be fine. The whole Triangle area is pretty tolerant of liberal thinking. And the rural towns are nowhere near as bad as the stereotypes. In fact, you've got to get out to them if you want the reallly good barbeque.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:49 PM

Thanks.. these posts have been pretty helpful. Analyzing data is just not the same as feedback from people who live there. So, I really do appreciate your words of advice. Carrboro is high on our list!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:45 PM

174 posts, read 570,439 times
I met a Republican yesterday. Actually, somebody I had met before "came out" as a Republican. My first in 18 months (although I live a pretty insular life).

On the one hand, you'll have Elizabeth Dole, but on the other, you'll also have David Price. Purple is a good description.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by megh View Post
Thanks.. these posts have been pretty helpful. Analyzing data is just not the same as feedback from people who live there. So, I really do appreciate your words of advice. Carrboro is high on our list!
While parts of NC are conservative, NC is not conservative like AZ. It's a different conservative. I feel like alot of western states like AZ, WA, CO, and OR the political pendulum swings really far left and really far right. I don't find that it swings as far right and left here in NC. You'll find liberals but you don't find the legalization of pot on every election ballot. And you'll find conservatives, but they don't all favor closing public schools and opening church run charters.

People in this state value education. There are many things in education that the state mandates for education... such as every district must be in session 180 days and I think art and music at the elementary level is state mandated.

My folks live in a small coastal town here in NC, and even there it's not odd to be a Democrate. Much of the older generations were die hard democrates, voted straight ticket. But since the 80s there are a lot of folks here in NC that will vote for a Democrate for State Offices and a Republican for President. Adding to the purple theory.

Our family is not religious and I worried about that component when we moved here. I have not had anyone invite me to church or ask which church we go to etc.

Here in the triangle family friendly means good schools, soccer leagues, and lots of kids to play with. But it doesn't mean the school district will fire a teacher for teaching evolution.

By the way, I love the name "Maricopa County". (Gilbert's in Maricopa isn't it?) Hubby and I love Raising Arizona, have watched it more times than I probably should admit.

I think you guys will like it here. It might take some time getting use to the all the trees. Good luck with the move.

Old 05-29-2008, 01:06 PM

19 posts, read 60,843 times
Default Recommendation from current AZ resident

Hi Megh,
I live in AZ now, south of Tucson. I lived in each of the towns (Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill) in the 14 years I lived there until 2003. Overall I would rate it as an excellent place to live unless you are a strict fundamentalist right wing christian fanatic (which you are obviously not). Especially Carrboro. If you can afford the housing price, and don't mind the winter weather with ice storms and occasional blizzards, and the very infrequent hurricanes (I suffered house damage from Hurricane Fran in Raleigh), you should love it. Be sure to check out the Farmers Market and Weaver Street Market on Saturday mornings for great coffee and breakfast and people watching. I visit friends in the area every year, and Saturday mornings in Carrboro are a must. The folks there are smart, diverse, certainly tolerant, and friendly. Don't worry about any overly conservative people, you may never run into one. The whole area is full of cultural events and venues, especially if you like music. GO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary