Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2022, 05:52 PM

164 posts, read 112,770 times

Advertisements

We moved down to North Carolina from New York seventeen years ago and brought our NY EZ Pass with us. I think we got a new updated version once years ago which I asked for. There is no switch on ours. The last time we went through the Virginia/DC area and used the HOV lane was about 4 or 5 years ago. We were then three in the car. I didn't even know we needed to switch a button nor did we have one to switch. We don't travel out of North Carolina anymore and basically just use it in Cary on the 540.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 06:48 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,924 times
I just drove from NJ back to NC and paid almost 12 bucks to go a few miles in the Express Lane somewhere around DC even though I had my two kids in the car which technically made us a HOV. I can't get too worked up about it though because it's not like we were carpooling and keeping vehicles off the road. I don't expect a break for procreating.

The flex option does sound kind of appealing though, but I'm not sure it's worth the money or the time to change out my transponders. Also not sure I'd feel like futzing with a switch while driving at high speed trying to navigate the road although possibly a job for an attentive front seat passenger.

Last edited by ITB_OG; 08-04-2022 at 06:57 AM..

Old 08-04-2022, 08:22 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,756,246 times
^
I hear you, but I got no problem using my kids to count for the Express lane requirements and using the flex transponder!

But on the other hand, why get it. The I-95 express lanes in VA are usually not on our side when traveling from NC. They are open southbound on Friday's or beginning of holidays (when we would be going north from NC) and are open northbound on Sundays or end of holidays (when NC people are going back south).

Old 08-04-2022, 09:01 AM

3,239 posts, read 3,544,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseBuilder328 View Post
^
I hear you, but I got no problem using my kids to count for the Express lane requirements and using the flex transponder!

But on the other hand, why get it. The I-95 express lanes in VA are usually not on our side when traveling from NC. They are open southbound on Friday's or beginning of holidays (when we would be going north from NC) and are open northbound on Sundays or end of holidays (when NC people are going back south).
Also, aren't the largest backups usually right where the toll roads end and empty out into general population (which is what causes the backup). If you can stomach stoplights, take 301 through MD and get off of 95/495.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:33 AM

140 posts, read 144,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Also worth noting that for many states, you don't have to be a resident to get E-ZPass transponders. We have an E-ZPass Flex through VA for one car and a regular one through WV for our other car because that setup makes the most sense for our usual pattern of travels.

We got our VA Flex transponder before NC started offering them, but even now, they're free in VA (after prepaying some toll fees) while NC charges $16.49 plus tax for theirs. VA does reserve the right to swap you out for a regular E-ZPass transponder if you're not using the Flex functionality enough, but we haven't had any issues and haven't used it in a couple of years...don't know if that provision generally isn't enforced or if they're temporarily going easy on folks due to COVID impacts on travel.
Good to know. Our travel is sporadic so I'll just pay the amount to get a new one with flex.
Thanks again everyone!
*Sorry, again, thought incorrectly that talking to NC Quickpass direct would be the gospel truth.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:39 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapdad00 View Post
Also, aren't the largest backups usually right where the toll roads end and empty out into general population (which is what causes the backup). If you can stomach stoplights, take 301 through MD and get off of 95/495.
The Express lanes on I-95 are 29 miles long and are being extended to near Fredericksburg! There can definitely be a bottleneck where they meet up with the general traffic, but that does not negate the amount of time you can save by taking the Express lanes up to that point. Like HouseBuilder, we are often unable to use the Express lanes because it's in the reverse direction of what we are driving. However, we were recently on a trip and hit it at the right time, and it was glorious! 301 can be a nice alternative, particularly in the off-season.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:41 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,924 times
Quote:
^

Yeah, I'm not morally opposed or anything. IIRC, the lanes use to just be traditional HOV lanes that didn't require EZPass, and I had no problem using my kids to qualify. We were doing our civic duty saving the environment by not idling in stop and go traffic.

I'm just not going to fret about having to pay now that the lanes are express even if we have 3+ in the car. It's well worth the cost the few times we catch them open. If I have some other reason to replace the transponder on the car we use for road trips, I might consider upgrading to the flex one. Honestly though, I'd rather not have to think about one more thing on a trip like a remembering to switch the transponder over depending on who's in the car or not. Seems like a good option for very frequent users though.

Old 08-04-2022, 09:48 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,795,280 times
Quote:
^
Twenty years ago, I had recently given birth and was driving early in the morning to my first post-partem doctor's appointment in Arlington. At the time, I-66 inside the Beltway during rush hour was HOV-2. Cop was on the exit pulling everyone over who he didn't see with two people in the car. Needless to say, he pulled me over and flashed a flashlight in my car - it was still dark! - saw my newborn in the backseat and waved me on. Had I not taken the baby with me to the appointment, I would have had to find an alternate route. I took her with me to all future appointments.

Old 08-04-2022, 10:13 AM

2,486 posts, read 2,544,554 times
And, those folks that save their tempoprary paper license tags for long trips...and never see a bill.... ugh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary