Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 04:11 PM

2,679 posts, read 2,909,509 times

Advertisements

Y'all still don't get it... after ALL these years... you wont be happy until the only attractions you walk past downtown are office space and half-filled residential towers that only yuppies can afford. smh... y'all can have it. Don't come back here complaining when it does happen either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Nonsense! With densification has come gentrification. No need to pretend this is about lowering rent for people. It's about making money.
THank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2022, 07:46 PM
DPK

4,595 posts, read 5,736,419 times
Quote:
Nonsense! With densification has come gentrification. No need to pretend this is about lowering rent for people. It's about making money.
I'm not pretending and please don't put words in my mouth. You're throwing gentrification into the conversation, not me.

Everything in this world is about money. At the end of the day there are more people that need housing than supply can meet, so we need more housing. Dense construction in an urban downtown footprint is perfect for that.

Unless you're proposing we bulldoze more existing neighborhoods, obliterating more alternative housing? You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Old 08-05-2022, 07:59 PM

405 posts, read 318,789 times
Quote:
It’s hard to parse things like that out though. I mean from an architecture standpoint, perhaps the building is nothing special. But because of Legends and the gay club that use to be across the street, that block holds some pretty significant history.

People are of course free to sell their property though. But I do think it’s a shame that so much in this area just gets bulldozed to make room for new shiny boring soulless buildings that all look the same. That’s why people say there’s no character left. Everything looks the same. Everything is new. There’s little interest in preserving anything anymore. Not that everything needs to be preserved, but a little balance would be nice.
Yes, and yes.

Old 08-05-2022, 08:08 PM

6,657 posts, read 5,604,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
Y'all still don't get it... after ALL these years... you wont be happy until the only attractions you walk past downtown are office space and half-filled residential towers that only yuppies can afford. smh... y'all can have it. Don't come back here complaining when it does happen either.

THank you.
Didn't the warehouse district used to be just filled with.......warehouses? I mean I think what is there now is a step up from what it was in the past attraction wise.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:16 AM

1,333 posts, read 727,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
I'm not pretending and please don't put words in my mouth. You're throwing gentrification into the conversation, not me.

Everything in this world is about money. At the end of the day there are more people that need housing than supply can meet, so we need more housing. Dense construction in an urban downtown footprint is perfect for that.

Unless you're proposing we bulldoze more existing neighborhoods, obliterating more alternative housing? You can't have your cake and eat it too.
I didn’t put any words in your mouth! I just think it’s disingenuous or at least naive to claim a building like this will help bring down housing costs. Sounds like something a developer would say in a rezoning request.

And yes, clearly I was the one that brought gentrification into the conversation. And my point was people often tout these projects as something that will help bring supposedly much needed housing to the area thus helping to bring down housing costs. But so far, all these types of projects have done here is bring high priced housing that only a small segment of people can afford and create a market for more of the same thus raising the cost of housing in the area.

I’m not opposed to development or dense building, but the kind of development that’s dominated the core of Raleigh the past decade or two has made the area completely out of reach for many people and squeezed lots of folks out. It’s getting less diverse, particularly socioeconomically, and many neighborhoods have lost much of their unique character. There’s a lot of sameness in building style and function not to mention people.

Old 08-06-2022, 12:19 AM

1,333 posts, read 727,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
Yes, and yes.
Glad we could agree on something.

Old 08-06-2022, 05:11 AM

19,740 posts, read 20,296,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
This is literally downtown where hi-rise buildings should be. The densification of more apartments will over time helps decrease rent prices. You need more housing so that people can live. I'm not sure what your rant is about as it goes bouncing around like an over-medicated hamster.
Don't even start with me..

Old 08-06-2022, 07:28 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,909,509 times
Quote:
I didn’t put any words in your mouth! I just think it’s disingenuous or at least naive to claim a building like this will help bring down housing costs. Sounds like something a developer would say in a rezoning request.

And yes, clearly I was the one that brought gentrification into the conversation. And my point was people often tout these projects as something that will help bring supposedly much needed housing to the area thus helping to bring down housing costs. But so far, all these types of projects have done here is bring high priced housing that only a small segment of people can afford and create a market for more of the same thus raising the cost of housing in the area.

I’m not opposed to development or dense building, but the kind of development that’s dominated the core of Raleigh the past decade or two has made the area completely out of reach for many people and squeezed lots of folks out. It’s getting less diverse, particularly socioeconomically, and many neighborhoods have lost much of their unique character. There’s a lot of sameness in building style and function not to mention people.

Extremely well said.

And the underlined is exactly what some these folks sound like. This place is hilarious. lol

Old 08-06-2022, 08:15 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,779,710 times
I only ever visited during a Hopscotch day party several years ago, but I have a lot of gay friends, and this place was very important for them (although it seems like Ruby Deluxe has become the new spot). It is a bit sad, but I agree, given the changes the city is going through, density downtown makes enormous sense. I *hope* that some of the places going away can find a second life in another location. I think about the Cat’s Cradle, in Carrboro now. It’s seen a lot of locations, yet survives. Would love to see Legends and Charlie Goodnights keep going and do well.

Old 08-06-2022, 09:50 AM

6,657 posts, read 5,604,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
I only ever visited during a Hopscotch day party several years ago, but I have a lot of gay friends, and this place was very important for them (although it seems like Ruby Deluxe has become the new spot). It is a bit sad, but I agree, given the changes the city is going through, density downtown makes enormous sense. I *hope* that some of the places going away can find a second life in another location. I think about the Cat’s Cradle, in Carrboro now. It’s seen a lot of locations, yet survives. Would love to see Legends and Charlie Goodnights keep going and do well.
Goodnights is moving to the Village District where the K&W Cafeteria was - I think eventually they will go into the old Raleigh Underground space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary