Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2022, 10:15 AM

1,326 posts, read 724,261 times

Advertisements

I think most would agree that density makes sense downtown. But not all density is not created equal. Density for density sake, like building 30 story high rise on a tiny footprint, can be problematic in that in creates very expensive housing due to the cost of construction and it's not particularly green either. And all that expensive housing increases the value of the surrounding property leading more property owners to sell off to developers and so on and so on leading to more expensive luxury housing and the loss of more affordable housing, business, character, and diversity. That and most high-rises are not very attractive, especially at the street level.

Developers love this kind of building though for the return on investment which is why they push for rezoning to build like this. Personally though, I think the city could do a better job with housing than just allowing for as many vertical units as possible because that kind of development isn't helping foster a very livable or vibrant city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2022, 10:15 AM

3,395 posts, read 7,770,721 times
^^Yep. Although it remains to be seen how it will do. I remember, as a cautionary tale, how Greenshields opened in Cary after the fire at City Market. Sometimes things get tied to a place, but not other times.

Old 08-06-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Goodnights is moving to the Village District where the K&W Cafeteria was - I think eventually they will go into the old Raleigh Underground space.
Is it actually going in the village subway, like it's reopening down there, or will the new Goodnights just have a basement level that maybe was once part of the subway? Most of the articles about it seem paywalled so I can't quite tell exactly what's happening.

Old 08-06-2022, 07:44 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,093,500 times
I've watched every Raleigh city council meeting since February 4, 2020. If you think Mayor Baldwin and Councilors Melton, Knight, Branch, and Forte are approving rezonings and making any other decision to help Raleigh residents -- you're wrong. Cat Lawson and Jennifer Truman are newcomers who want to follow in their footsteps, unfortunately.

Every single decision they have made has favored developers over residents. I documented many things on this website: MayorBaldwin.com - Do NOT VOTE for her again! It has nothing to do with political parties. They run as unaffiliated. It's their actions that are highly troublesome and not their personal political parties.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
Is it actually going in the village subway, like it's reopening down there, or will the new Goodnights just have a basement level that maybe was once part of the subway? Most of the articles about it seem paywalled so I can't quite tell exactly what's happening.
Answering my own question after a little more reading online...

While headlines seem to be trying to spin to seem a little more exciting, it looks like Goodnights is just going to be "adjacent" (ie across the street) from the old Village Subway location in an "underground space" (ie the basement) below another business, reportedly the new Shake Shake, on the corner near Flying Biscuit.

It still sounds like a pretty cool space though and a great location overall. I feel like it could do really well since it's not's far from the old location and it ties in really nicely with the history of the new location. Only time will tell.

Old 08-07-2022, 07:34 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,041,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I've watched every Raleigh city council meeting since February 4, 2020. If you think Mayor Baldwin and Councilors Melton, Knight, Branch, and Forte are approving rezonings and making any other decision to help Raleigh residents -- you're wrong. Cat Lawson and Jennifer Truman are newcomers who want to follow in their footsteps, unfortunately.

Every single decision they have made has favored developers over residents. I documented many things on this website: MayorBaldwin.com - Do NOT VOTE for her again! It has nothing to do with political parties. They run as unaffiliated. It's their actions that are highly troublesome and not their personal political parties.
Being a politician, despite the flavor (R, D, or I), only allows you so much freedom in choosing which buildings remain and which old buildings go. If you allow one to go, how can you say to the owner nextdoor he/she can't sell theirs? The only way to preserve a property is to give it historic status and that opens a whole new can of worms.

Old 08-07-2022, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Being a politician, despite the flavor (R, D, or I), only allows you so much freedom in choosing which buildings remain and which old buildings go. If you allow one to go, how can you say to the owner nextdoor he/she can't sell theirs? The only way to preserve a property is to give it historic status and that opens a whole new can of worms.
I don't think anyone is proposing not allowing people to sell their property or that the city could decide which specific old buildings go or stay. The city does however make zoning decisions which affects development.

Old 08-07-2022, 11:59 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,093,500 times
Default Uh, no.

They have rezoned the heck out of Raleigh -- all for the benefit of their developer donors.

Mayor Baldwin has $500,000 in donations this year after 2.5 years of granting her developer donors their every wish, including major tax breaks and every rezoning they asked for.

That $500K is more than double what she recieved for her 2019 race. They KNOW she has power. They KNOW she will work for her donations -- she's proven it. They KNOW that she will ignore residents' input. She has proven that she despises citizen engagement.

More people need to pay closer attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post

Old 08-07-2022, 06:14 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
… you guessed it, another residential High Rise. Smh.

Legends is arguable one of the most iconic sites in Raleigh.. The two are damn near inextricably linked. Smh.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle...sidential.html

“The Legends Nightclub opened in 1991 as a private club and over the years became a leader in the LGBTQ community’s nightlife…”

Is Raleigh turning into dreaded arch nemesis and soulless Charlotte?!! Ugh!

Have at it folks …
the owners of Legends, started approx 30 years ago, owned the property and chose to sell.

Old 08-07-2022, 06:19 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,208,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierretong1991 View Post
Side note but I don't think that everything old is "character" and should be saved at all costs, certainly there are some but not all. Honestly I don't think Raleigh has ever had a unique character like other cities but I could be wrong. It was a planned capital city and didn't naturally evolve like other cities.
you are talking about a 1-story industrial brick building built in the late 50's. Home to (possibly) Crenshaw's TV & Appliance, and Alfred Williams Office Supply before. Then retail moved out of downtown and towards Cameron Village first (now the Village District) and Ridgewood (for example) built in 1951.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary