Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 03:16 PM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNamesake View Post
That’s NOT the crux of the issue. GOOD GOSH, PEOPLE!

Again, don’t come running back in here when Charlotte 2.0 East is complete because it’s gonna be tough for me to not say, “Told you so!” Smh
Why would that be so bad? I have a hard time buying the argument that Raleigh has/had more character than Charlotte.

Some people in Raleigh seem to have a mild inferiority complex or resentment towards Charlotte and it causes them to aggressively contrast the two cities.

I don't really see it, at least not in terms of meaningful differences in character. I could list a dozen differences, but none of them effect the livability or essence or character, at least not in Raleigh's favor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 03:49 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,169,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Why would that be so bad? I have a hard time buying the argument that Raleigh has/had more character than Charlotte.

Some people in Raleigh seem to have a mild inferiority complex or resentment towards Charlotte and it causes them to aggressively contrast the two cities.

I don't really see it, at least not in terms of meaningful differences in character. I could list a dozen differences, but none of them effect the livability or essence or character, at least not in Raleigh's favor.
Honestly I don't think that most people in Raleigh give much of a hoot about Charlotte or what happens there. Charlotte is what it is, and Raleigh is on its own very, very successful trajectory.

Being completely rational and honest about it, about the only things that Charlotte bests Raleigh in are a) tall buildings, b) number of large corporations and pro teams, and c) land area. Everything else is largely debatable and relative to one's own perception.

Overall Raleigh has a very good thing going, and there's no need for the pointless comparisons to Charlotte.

Old 08-11-2022, 05:23 AM

4,267 posts, read 4,725,235 times
Yes, I am tired of reading Charlotte vs Raleigh.

Old 08-14-2022, 06:48 AM

5,174 posts, read 3,779,977 times
So this nightclub is 30 years old and that is considered historic? Gotta be kidding.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:39 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,588,966 times
Maybe more nostalgia than Historic.

Old 08-14-2022, 12:46 PM

4,616 posts, read 6,453,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Because some old chain fast food restaurant closed and an old sign that chain doesn’t even use anymore got torn down?

You must be kidding me.

There’s still one in Richmond if you want to see it. I drove by it last weekend.
Winston-Salem has a historic Arbys off Stratford.

Old 08-15-2022, 06:44 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,199,229 times
From what I understand, and maybe this has already been said, the owners of Legends are essentially the owners of the land underneath them. This sort of makes them the developer or the ones who are literally selling out, right?
If the bar remains in the redevelopment, does that make it okay?
In the end, bars and clubs all over the country have been closed and displaced as more and more Americans are returning to the city centers where these bars and clubs usually are.

Old 08-15-2022, 10:21 AM

370 posts, read 231,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
It’s hard to parse things like that out though. I mean from an architecture standpoint, perhaps the building is nothing special. But because of Legends and the gay club that use to be across the street, that block holds some pretty significant history.

People are of course free to sell their property though. But I do think it’s a shame that so much in this area just gets bulldozed to make room for new shiny boring soulless buildings that all look the same. That’s why people say there’s no character left. Everything looks the same. Everything is new. There’s little interest in preserving anything anymore. Not that everything needs to be preserved, but a little balance would be nice.
The same thing has happened in Chapel Hill. Iconic hole-in-the-wall institutions that have been enjoyed by UNC students for decades are being torn down and replaced with cookie cutter, overpriced, mid-rise apartment buildings. The only restaurants and bars that can afford the overpriced retail spaces are soul-less corporate chains with none of the homage to the past that made Chapel Hill a vibrant and UNIQUE town. The same has happened in Raleigh as well. Legends has always been one of the busiest and most successful gay bars in North Carolina. With its demise, we will not see another take its place. If they end up relocating, it will probably be further out of Downtown and with a smaller space (which was one of its major appeals).

I find it ironic that the state and local governments continuously decry the lack of "affordable housing", yet repeatedly give taxpayer money to large corporations that exacerbate the lack of housing. We have low unemployment and plentiful jobs for the folks living here - why do we need to attract higher paying corporations that provide jobs to out-of-staters? It's so sad to see what has happened here.

Old 08-15-2022, 11:41 AM

13,717 posts, read 12,468,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
The same thing has happened in Chapel Hill. Iconic hole-in-the-wall institutions that have been enjoyed by UNC students for decades are being torn down and replaced with cookie cutter, overpriced, mid-rise apartment buildings. The only restaurants and bars that can afford the overpriced retail spaces are soul-less corporate chains with none of the homage to the past that made Chapel Hill a vibrant and UNIQUE town. The same has happened in Raleigh as well. Legends has always been one of the busiest and most successful gay bars in North Carolina. With its demise, we will not see another take its place. If they end up relocating, it will probably be further out of Downtown and with a smaller space (which was one of its major appeals).
I kind of doubt that...If you draw a rough rectangle of Glenwood South as the western boundary, Lenoir as a southern boundary, Person St as the eastern boundary, and Peace Street at the north end they'll find a vacancy; bars and nightclubs close all the time even in great locations. It's the nature of the business.

Old 08-15-2022, 01:00 PM

9,150 posts, read 14,786,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I kind of doubt that...If you draw a rough rectangle of Glenwood South as the western boundary, Lenoir as a southern boundary, Person St as the eastern boundary, and Peace Street at the north end they'll find a vacancy; bars and nightclubs close all the time even in great locations. It's the nature of the business.
Maybe they will relocate to “Downtown South”, which we have all been told is oh so close to downtown and totally no problem building density out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary