Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 11:39 AM

50 posts, read 196,298 times

Advertisements

Hi all...

Trying to find out what schools are zoned for the Orange County side of Mebane. BESIDES Efland Cheeks (have heard nothing but bad things about it). Anyone know what other Elementary schools are in the OC side of Mebane? If there are no other, what is the best ES on the Alamance side?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2008, 12:53 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,790 times
The other ES school in Orange County that you might get districted to would be Grady Brown. Hillsborough Elementary is a year round option, that has a waiting list, and if I'm not mistaken acceptance is done by lottery (but not sure). The other ES schools you would not be districted for but would include Cameron Park, Pathways, New Hope, and Central.
I am not sure which of the Alamance Co ES are better than the others. Perhaps someone else can weigh in?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:11 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,928,233 times
Here is a map showing the OC schools. Everywhere that I looked in Mebane was zoned for Efland Cheeks for elem. (zoom out twice to see all of them)

Google Maps

I don't know the Alamance elem schools well, as I was mostly looking at the quality of the high schools over the elementary schools because I think that parent involvement at the elementary level can mean so much, while at the high school level I'm looking for more good opportunities in the classroom that I won't be able to provide at home.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
Here is a map showing the OC schools. Everywhere that I looked in Mebane was zoned for Efland Cheeks for elem. (zoom out twice to see all of them)

Google Maps

I don't know the Alamance elem schools well, as I was mostly looking at the quality of the high schools over the elementary schools because I think that parent involvement at the elementary level can mean so much, while at the high school level I'm looking for more good opportunities in the classroom that I won't be able to provide at home.
Thank you. The map was very useful. You're right, it looks like Efland Cheeks is the school for most of Mebane (why the bad rap on the school, do you know?).

Looks like lots of good schools in Hillsborough, but what a difference in the amount you get in homes with Mebane vs. Hillsborough.

And good point about the HS. I can still control my kids in ES -- HS is a whole different story. Guess I'm just not thinking ahead that far. lol.

Thanks again.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:36 AM

When I first started considering moving to Orange cty schools, I talked to some people who had kids in Efland Cheeks school. One of my co-workers has lived in Efland her whole life and her whole family is there - in fact she is part of the Efland family (her last name is Efland - the town is named after her family!). Anyway, she doesn't have kids herself, but she knows tons of people in town, so she put me in contact with some people who have kids in the school. The people I talked with all seemed happy with the school. I did notice that their test scores seemed lower than what I expected, so that's probably what people are responding to negatively. But all the people I spoke with seemed to like the school anyway and didn't know where the low test scores were coming from. If you want, you can always schedule a tour of the school and chat with the principal about your concerns before considering moving into the district.

You can get the stats on the testing for all schools at NC School Report Cards (http://www.ncreportcard.com/src/ - broken link)

We definitely looked in Hillsborough and Efland before we ended up in Mebane because we work in Durham, so that would be a shorter commute. We just couldn't find what we wanted for the same price. In Hillsborough we looked at Becketts Ridge, but we just didn't like it that much. It's convenient, but it didn't seem like that great of a deal. They have kiddie playgrounds, which is nice, but no pool or anything, and the houses didn't seem all that special to me. I didn't see any floor plans I really liked there anyway. In Efland we looked at Ashwick, which we liked (though they don't have any amenities there either), but they seemed overpriced and their realtor wasn't on the ball when we asked questions which was frustrating. In fact, the house we liked there is STILL on the market over a year later and they've only brought the price down by $5K. Meanwhile, we got a significantly bigger house for significantly less money 5 miles further down the road! (Ashwick house: 2161 sf for $260K; Ashbury house: 2500 sf for $242K) The other s/d we looked at a lot was Village of the Oaks which has a Mebane address but is south of town and outside city limits and straddles the county line. I really liked the houses, but we decided that that far out was not as convenient and not as good for resale. If we were in a higher price bracket though, we definitely would have looked at Churton Grove in Hillsborough.

Old 05-26-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
When I first started considering moving to Orange cty schools, I talked to some people who had kids in Efland Cheeks school. One of my co-workers has lived in Efland her whole life and her whole family is there - in fact she is part of the Efland family (her last name is Efland - the town is named after her family!). Anyway, she doesn't have kids herself, but she knows tons of people in town, so she put me in contact with some people who have kids in the school. The people I talked with all seemed happy with the school. I did notice that their test scores seemed lower than what I expected, so that's probably what people are responding to negatively. But all the people I spoke with seemed to like the school anyway and didn't know where the low test scores were coming from. If you want, you can always schedule a tour of the school and chat with the principal about your concerns before considering moving into the district.

You can get the stats on the testing for all schools at NC School Report Cards (http://www.ncreportcard.com/src/ - broken link)

We definitely looked in Hillsborough and Efland before we ended up in Mebane because we work in Durham, so that would be a shorter commute. We just couldn't find what we wanted for the same price. In Hillsborough we looked at Becketts Ridge, but we just didn't like it that much. It's convenient, but it didn't seem like that great of a deal. They have kiddie playgrounds, which is nice, but no pool or anything, and the houses didn't seem all that special to me. I didn't see any floor plans I really liked there anyway. In Efland we looked at Ashwick, which we liked (though they don't have any amenities there either), but they seemed overpriced and their realtor wasn't on the ball when we asked questions which was frustrating. In fact, the house we liked there is STILL on the market over a year later and they've only brought the price down by $5K. Meanwhile, we got a significantly bigger house for significantly less money 5 miles further down the road! (Ashwick house: 2161 sf for $260K; Ashbury house: 2500 sf for $242K) The other s/d we looked at a lot was Village of the Oaks which has a Mebane address but is south of town and outside city limits and straddles the county line. I really liked the houses, but we decided that that far out was not as convenient and not as good for resale. If we were in a higher price bracket though, we definitely would have looked at Churton Grove in Hillsborough.
You seem to really know the area. Hope you don't mind, but I would really like to pick your brain! Here's my deal -- maybe you can give me some guidance. We currently live in NY. Can't keep up with the cost of living here. So we are thinking of relocating to NC. My husband is a carpenter. The main office of his company will be in Raleigh. But, his work will be all over the city -- he goes where the work is. Assuming majority of it will be in and around the city of Raleigh. Right now, his commute is at least an hour and a half each way. Anything less than that is a break. Ideally, 45 minutes or under is what he is looking for. To some, 45 minutes may seem like a long commute, but for him, its a breeze.

Anyway, we were looking everywhere surrounding Raleigh, but ruled a lot of places out for numerous reasons. Chapel Hill being one because we can't afford it. Wake County because of the schools and so on. We decided on Hillsborough or Mebane. The reason I am looking for Orange County in Mebane is because it is that much closer to Raleigh. Anything further West will be too far (I think so anyway).

So, bottom line, I am looking for something within a 45 minute commute to the surrounding Raleigh area. Have 2 small children (ages 4 & 6), so good schools are extremely important. Looking to spend a max of $250,000 on a house. Want some property. Doesn't need to be more than a 1/2 acre or even a little less. But don't want a tiny backyard either. Mebane looks great -- just need some help zeroing in on an aread that fits my criteria - but not in Efland Cheeks SD. Hillsborough is another area we really like, but can't seem to find a house there that is within our budget and worth moving for. Churton Grove is beautiful -- but out of our league. And like you, I wasn't all that impressed with Becketts Ridge. And Ashbury is beautiful also -- but again, falls into the Efland Cheeks SD.

So, thats my story, thanks for listening and I welcome any advice you can give me -- you have been extremely helfpul!

Old 05-26-2008, 12:11 PM

Well, Ashbury also doesn't have the amount of land you want. We only have like .18 acres. Most places inside city limits aren't going to have the amount of land you want for the amount of money you want to spend. We were disappointed with this too because we wanted at least .3 acre but couldn't find it for our price (Ashwick in Efland did have it). But if you go outside city limits, then you will find more land. In Orange cty, the minimum lot size outside city limits is an acre, so I think I would look there. Also, you can look for houses that are a little older for more land.

Personally, I wouldn't rule out Wake county for the schools. We would have really liked to be there for the schools (we preferred them over Orange actually), but we couldn't find what we wanted for our price there within commuting distance to Durham. If you are willing to go a little further south in Wake, I think that may be your best bet for the land and the price in commuting distance to Raleigh.

Old 05-26-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Well, Ashbury also doesn't have the amount of land you want. We only have like .18 acres. Most places inside city limits aren't going to have the amount of land you want for the amount of money you want to spend. We were disappointed with this too because we wanted at least .3 acre but couldn't find it for our price (Ashwick in Efland did have it). But if you go outside city limits, then you will find more land. In Orange cty, the minimum lot size outside city limits is an acre, so I think I would look there. Also, you can look for houses that are a little older for more land.

Personally, I wouldn't rule out Wake county for the schools. We would have really liked to be there for the schools (we preferred them over Orange actually), but we couldn't find what we wanted for our price there within commuting distance to Durham. If you are willing to go a little further south in Wake, I think that may be your best bet for the land and the price in commuting distance to Raleigh.
Thank you. I am actually willing to sacrifice the amount of land for a good community with good schools. And the only reason I was ruling out Wake County schools is because I don't want my kids shuffled all over. I recently read that Wake takes inner-city kids and puts them in suburbs schools and vice-versa. That is something I defin. don't want. I want my kids to go to school where they live and with who they live near. In my opinion, if I want my kids in an inner-city school, I will live there. I'm sure I'll get some slack from people for that way of thinking, but it's how I feel.

Anyway, I guess I have a mission ahead of me to find what I am looking for. Thank goodness I have a year to do it. Thanks for all your help again.

Old 05-27-2008, 08:03 AM

413 posts, read 1,255,790 times
Squeezedout, one of the reasons EC has low test scores has to do with the increase in ESL students. EC is one of the schools with the highest percentage in the OCS. There have been some other concerns raised about administration. I think the teachers are good, but the leadership leaves something to be desired. The first line for the kids though of course are the teachers.
That said, based on your comments, if you are still interested in Orange Co for proximity/convenience for your husband and the other issues you listed that you look at Cornwallis Hills. You won't find everything you may want there, but it does have btw 1/3 and 1/2 acre lots, extremely easy access to both I-40 and I-85 (about a 45 minute commute to Raleigh), a 2 acre community park and active community. It is in the Grady Brown ES, ALS MS and CRHS district. I am very sure you will find homes in your price range for sale there.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausmerika View Post
Squeezedout, one of the reasons EC has low test scores has to do with the increase in ESL students. EC is one of the schools with the highest percentage in the OCS. There have been some other concerns raised about administration. I think the teachers are good, but the leadership leaves something to be desired. The first line for the kids though of course are the teachers.
That said, based on your comments, if you are still interested in Orange Co for proximity/convenience for your husband and the other issues you listed that you look at Cornwallis Hills. You won't find everything you may want there, but it does have btw 1/3 and 1/2 acre lots, extremely easy access to both I-40 and I-85 (about a 45 minute commute to Raleigh), a 2 acre community park and active community. It is in the Grady Brown ES, ALS MS and CRHS district. I am very sure you will find homes in your price range for sale there.
Thank you for your informative response, but what are ESL students? Still trying to figure all the initials used on this site! lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary