Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2022, 07:47 AM

11,228 posts, read 8,321,082 times

Advertisements

I'm probably just venting here, but thought I'd put it out there in case someone has ideas I haven't thought of yet.

One of my neighbors let's his cat(s) roam freely. Even though that's against the law, I mostly don't care. The only problem is he walks all over my wife's and my cars. It leaves cute little paw-prints, that are not that cute after you spend a couple hours on a Sunday to wash and detail your car.

I've thought about talking to them, they are nice enough, but really don't seem to care, and the guy (nice guy) is extremely introverted, so I'm sure it would make him uncomfortable, and possibly go badly.

The same cat will let itself into our garage if we leave the door open for even a minute.

None of this really bothers me that much, but all things considered, I'd rather not have anyone else's pets in my yard or walking on our clean cars. Any thoughts that don't involve a discussion with the neighbor? I am not open to calling animal control, or the police, or anything like that. It's an annoyance, but not big enough to stir the pot.

Like I said, I realize I'm closed to most of the reasonable options, so I'm probably just venting. Feel free to offer suggestions, to discuss, or whatever. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 08:10 AM

4,266 posts, read 4,725,235 times
Even if you did want to stir the pot by calling the city or county, they have more important things to look after and I wouldn't expect much. A dangerous dog, a quasi-domesticated bobcat, or a venomous snake (!) would be a different story.

You might get a better reaction from the owner if several neighbors, not just yourself, expressed concern. Or an HOA, if there is one. You could mention that leaving a cat outdoors is tantamount to feeding coyotes. That happened once next door, and the outdoor cat became an indoor cat after. If the owner is really concerned about his animal, he should take that into consideration.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:27 AM

5,465 posts, read 6,077,583 times
Mothballs around the car, maybe near the windshield wipers.

If you see the cat on your car, press your panic button on the remote from inside the house. After a few days of having the horn going off every time they set foot on the car, they will find another place to hangout.
If you don't have that feature on your car, you can buy a compressed air horn made for scaring bears, etc. that produces the same result. A plus is that it may startle the clueless next door neighbor into finding their own remedy.

Can't seem to find it now, but I've seen a battery powered mat that sends a mild shock though any animal that walks across it. Might buy a couple to toss on your car in strategic locations. They are mighty inviting to lay on, until they aren't.

Old 08-29-2022, 08:39 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,145,317 times
Fifty years ago almost all pet cats were allowed to go outdoors. Only the fancy purebreds were kept inside. The outdoor cats explored nearby unless they were not neutered whereupon they periodically sought relief. The neutered ones always came home for feeding. They were relatively street and environmentally savvy.

By keeping them always indoors we have created new behaviors. They are desperate to kill little birds or big insects. Once having escaped they are overly fascinated with their outside vacation. If they wander they have no outside smarts. Coyotes interest them. Car movement is tuned out. But food? Sometimes they take a long time to backtrack to their homes. Sorry for those who are now exposed to the consequences of our relationships with these fascinating creatures.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:06 AM

567 posts, read 958,858 times
Domesticated cats that roam outdoors are an invasive species. They decimate the local wildlife population and have caused the extinctions of 63 species to date worldwide.

Would you feel the same way if it was a dog roaming around?

Old 08-29-2022, 09:07 AM

2,219 posts, read 2,945,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Please don't use mothballs outside. It is illegal to use them this way. They are toxic to people and animals and are bad for the environment.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:13 AM

11,228 posts, read 8,321,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post

If you see the cat on your car, press your panic button on the remote from inside the house. After a few days of having the horn going off every time they set foot on the car, they will find another place to hangout.
If you don't have that feature on your car, you can buy a compressed air horn made for scaring bears, etc. that produces the same result. A plus is that it may startle the clueless next door neighbor into finding their own remedy.

Can't seem to find it now, but I've seen a battery powered mat that sends a mild shock though any animal that walks across it. Might buy a couple to toss on your car in strategic locations. They are mighty inviting to lay on, until they aren't.
Thanks, these are the types of suggestions I was looking for:

Mothball concerns (NRaleighMom) are noted, I won't go that route
Electric Shock Pad: Not my style

Security Alarm: I will try that. I bet it takes no more than 2-3 times. (Now all I have to do is catch him in the act.)

I love all creatures, just prefer that owners are more responsible with their pets.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:20 AM

9,364 posts, read 14,145,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
Domesticated cats that roam outdoors are an invasive species. They decimate the local wildlife population and have caused the extinctions of 63 species to date worldwide.

Would you feel the same way if it was a dog roaming around?
Humans are an invasive species as well. But we have learned to adjust. Sort of.

Old 08-29-2022, 02:04 PM

5,465 posts, read 6,077,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRaleigh Mom View Post
Please don't use mothballs outside. It is illegal to use them this way. They are toxic to people and animals and are bad for the environment.
Thanks for the good info!

Old 08-29-2022, 03:17 PM

22,681 posts, read 36,850,940 times
My neighbors cats roam around too. I grew up with outdoor cats and now I see how annoying it is when you have a dog LOL. Also, the neighbor's cat goes in my garage and I draw the line there. Now their new dog gets out all the time and jumps our fence ...somehow, this has become our problem....or they want it to be - but I draw the line there. THey were talking today about replacing the fence....it's our fence - I ain't replacing it. THey can if they want. It's probably a $5k job minimum to do their side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary