Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2022, 09:39 AM

6,824 posts, read 9,058,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by codygreen View Post
Still having fun playing with straw men?
I'm going to move to Chapel Hill. Because at least there, no one commits a crime.

Do Durham residents go to Raleigh to commit crimes, or do they only go to Chapel Hill?

Quote:
Hipster hangouts have been built right next to impoverished and dangerous neighborhoods across the city.
Why do you equate impoverished and dangerous? I grew up a similar neighborhood up north. Do you have statistics from Durham PD about crime in each of these neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2022, 10:35 AM

363 posts, read 225,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
I'm going to move to Chapel Hill. Because at least there, no one commits a crime.

Do Durham residents go to Raleigh to commit crimes, or do they only go to Chapel Hill?

Why do you equate impoverished and dangerous? I grew up a similar neighborhood up north. Do you have statistics from Durham PD about crime in each of these neighborhoods?
Why would I waste my time providing research when you're engaging in logical fallacy because you didn't like my opinion?

I gave my opinion to the OP. I do not care about you nor your opinion. You already live here and have made up your mind.

Old 09-07-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Why would I waste my time providing research when you're engaging in logical fallacy because you didn't like my opinion?

I gave my opinion to the OP. I do not care about you nor your opinion. You already live here and have made up your mind.

Old 09-07-2022, 10:55 AM

281 posts, read 187,520 times
Quote:

I love this. Can't upvote you again, so you get this codygreen.
How dare you have your own opinion? LOL

Old 09-07-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n24scube View Post
I love this. Can't upvote you again, so you get this codygreen.
How dare you have your own opinion? LOL
Your “hero†is someone who says “avoid Durham County†and “corruption!!!â€.

Why should I provide any sources when I am so obviously right about everything. It’s THEIR job to prove me wrong.

Old 09-07-2022, 09:02 PM

873 posts, read 1,016,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
Candytuff lane are townhomes in Parkwood. Parkwood is one of the older subdivisions in South Durham (built up mostly in the 50s/60s; where most other neighborhoods around there were built up in the 80s-2000s). Has many original owners who've been there for decades with an increasing amount of turnover. Be mindful of radon reedings and tree-root intrusion in some of the foundations. South Durham in general is considered desirable for its relative proximity to RTP, Chapel Hill, Western Wake county and also not too far from downtown.
Getting back to the original point of this post ... As usual, TarHeelNick is spot on in summarizing the pertinent points here. I'd just add that Parkwood does have some traffic issues, as it's located off NC 54 near NC 55, two busy state highways (54 connects Cary to Chapel Hill and points beyond westward, while 55 goes from Durham down to Apex and other bustling parts of southern Wake County). It's long been planned to improve 54 with roadway widening, intersection improvements, overpasses, and interchange upgrades, but so far all that's certain is that funding is planned for an environmental report next year. When it will start and be finished is anybody's guess.

Still, apart from morning and late afternoon rush hour, traffic around Parkwood is generally manageable. There are traffic lights to get in and out of the community, and speed limits keep most vehicles in check. And it's a really busy and fun neighborhood during the upcoming holiday season as well, unless you don't like Halloween and Christmas.

I think you'll enjoy it if you move here. I know I certainly haven't regretted one second of moving to south Durham.

Old 09-08-2022, 03:29 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post

I'm much closer to Chapel Hill than Raleigh so I go to Chapel Hill for my crime needs.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:12 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,271,380 times
I think threads like these are sort of pointless. The reason I think this is because everyone's threshold for crime is different, depending on where they've lived in the past. For example, I grew up in a suburb where if a single car was stolen, it was news. There was barely any crime, even "crimes of opportunity" (I hate that term). And no, it wasn't a tiny town in the sticks, it was a town of about 40k people 15 minutes outside a major city.

Because of this, my threshold for crime is low. Even the crime that occurs in Cary feels like a lot to me. I don't feel unsafe, but the amount of property crime and occasional shootings/murders are surprising to me, and always will be. There are others like me that feel the same way, and there are others that don't. Again, depends on where they've lived in the past.

There are people in this forum that would feel very comfortable living in Durham, a place with high documented crime rates, and there are people in this forum that would never consider it. Neither is right or wrong.

If someone says "I'd never live in Durham", they aren't sh*tting on the city, they just have a low tolerance for crime and that's perfectly fine. I don't think anyone is ever claiming that if you move to Durham you have a 90% chance of being gunned down while going out to get groceries, they just don't personally feel comfortable living there. It's not an attack on anybody that does.

If someone says "Durham is a perfectly safe place to live", they have a higher tolerance for crime, and that's perfectly fine as well.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:06 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
...if a single car was stolen, it was news. There was barely any crime, even "crimes of opportunity"
That sounds exactly like where I live...in Durham! And no, I'm not way out in Treyburn, I'm just a little north of i-85, ~5 minutes to Duke and ~10 minutes from downtown.

Old 09-08-2022, 10:10 AM

363 posts, read 225,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n24scube View Post
No, it's really not. "That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works." LOL

But you're totally entitled to your opinion just like my "hero" and I are entitled to ours. Kisses.
I'd have been happy to address the individual points I made in my original post, but when the unsolicited critique of my opinion begins with straw man arguments and logical fallacies, I'm not motivated to respond. If I sourced statistics and relevant news articles to support my claims, I would be assuming that the person who responded was arguing in good faith - its obvious that isn't so.

Rest assured that I will be giving the same opinion the next time this question is asked unless something dramatically changes in the way law and order is administered in Durham County. OP should check out the conviction rates for crimes like murder, rape, and armed robbery in Durham vs. other Triangle municipalities. The lack of justice delivered to the citizens of Durham is unacceptable for many people. The DPD has been a mess for as long as I can remember. Wake County has its fair share of problems but nothing like what goes on one county over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary