U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 04:37 PM

11 posts, read 32,493 times

Advertisements

My Wife And I Are Both Real Estate Appraisers And Looking To Leave The Congestion, High Hoa, Taxes, Ect... Of Orlando Fl. We Have Been To Fayetteville And Raeford, And Thought It Was Too Much Of A Culture Shock(i Didnt See Any Best Buys,borders,olive Gardens,cheesecake Factorys). Any Towns/neighborhoods In The Raleigh Area That Are Close To These Things, But Have Affordable Housing-(100,000 To 175,000)$.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 04:47 PM

930 posts, read 1,370,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE3265 View Post
My Wife And I Are Both Real Estate Appraisers And Looking To Leave The Congestion, High Hoa, Taxes, Ect... Of Orlando Fl. We Have Been To Fayetteville And Raeford, And Thought It Was Too Much Of A Culture Shock(i Didnt See Any Best Buys,borders,olive Gardens,cheesecake Factorys). Any Towns/neighborhoods In The Raleigh Area That Are Close To These Things, But Have Affordable Housing-(100,000 To 175,000)$.
Welcome to the Raleigh area!! that seems to be what you are looking for!

Best Buy, Borders, Olive Gardens, Cheesecake Factory are all in this area!

... and a LOT more ... like Panara's, Ragazzi's, Italian Pie, the Blue Moon in Morrisville!

FYI: Around here you will find that the real estate industry is booming to the point that a couple years ago Holly Springs was the FASTEST growing town in NC and Cary is in the top 10 places to live in the USA according to http://top100.relocate-america.com/!

As far as affordable ... personally speaking - Cary, Apex, and Holly Springs are my preferred places ... Cary is a small city that refuses to be reclassified as one - Apex is nice with a lot of new businesses on Highway 55 near highway 64 ... and Holly Springs is next to Apex and has several NEW schools in here!

Old 01-04-2007, 05:13 PM

653 posts, read 2,879,119 times
You didn't mention what size house you were looking for in terms of square footage, but I echo Digital Duck, you should be able to find it in Wake County. Are schools important to you? Wake County has better schools than Durham County overall, but if that's not an issue, you could probably find more square footage in a great neighborhood there, and still be close to things like the Streets at Southpoint and the other spots you mentioned. Oh, and without the tourist traffic!

Old 01-05-2007, 04:03 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,674,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE3265 View Post
Hi George,

Glad you're considering the area! I was born in Winter Park in the 70s, a 3rd-generation Floridian who left Orlando for New England to go to college and never would have dreamed of moving back. :-)

NCHomeFinder is right on in terms of recommendations. If I had to draw parallels back to the Orlando metro area:

Suburban Wake County (Cary/Apex/Holly Springs) is a lot like Longwood/Lake Mary in Seminole County. Good schools, development-oriented neighborhoods, shopping. Most people who live there commute to work (in this case, RTP or downtown Raleigh or Durham.)

Parts of Inside-the-Beltline Raleigh is akin to College Park, Lake Eola, Thornton Park, etc. in Orlando, or to sections of Winter Park. (Parts of Durham, like the historic neighborhoods west/north of downtown or Hope Valley, are as well.)

North Raleigh -- reminds me a lot of Altamonte Springs. Shares lots of traits with other "Seminole" (i.e., suburban Wake) developments, but slightly denser, developed a few decades earlier; more established shopping, dining than Holly Springs/Apex.

Johnston County -- think Volusia County (Deltona, Enterprise, DeBary, etc.) in Orlando. Newly developing, less established, longer commutes to work... but less "crowded."

Chapel Hill -- sort of like Winter Park, except politically progressive and with excellent, FREE bus service, and with a world-renowned state university instead of a college for rich kids. :-)

Hillsborough -- a smaller Mt. Dora, only much more centrally located for those who work at/near RTP.

Carrboro -- really, nothing like it in Orlando. Politically more progressive than Chapel Hill, very environmentally conscious, lots of infill development, more transit oriented.

Durham -- tough to make a true analogy. Southern Durham (near SouthPoint) is similar to Seminole Co. in Florida... maybe Maitland? As I've mentioned, some neighborhoods near downtown are very similar to the Eola/College Park areas of Orlando. Durham has "funky" shops and the best gourmet restaurants in the Triangle... kind of like Winter Park in the 80s. Some areas of Durham are economically disadvantaged and have higher crime, and have a reputation similar, unfortunately, to that of Parramore in Orlando.

Fayetteville -- Lakeland, with a military base! And yeah, some people do commute from Lakeland to Orlando each day, but why would you want to?

Good news ... there's nothing like Kissimmee/Osceola Co. in the Triangle!

Old 01-05-2007, 07:21 AM

28 posts, read 100,359 times
Default thanks, Bull City Rising

appreciate the great comparison of the areas around Raleigh to those in Orlando... I spent 4 years in Orlando for school (UCF) and am moving to Holly Springs later this month. Certainly helps me to narrow down the areas I'll look at for buying a house later this year!

Old 01-05-2007, 12:45 PM

930 posts, read 1,370,593 times
welcome to Holly Springs!
.... bring your fishing pole!
especially if you like to catch catfish!

From spring to fall Bass Lake is a spoiled fisherman's dream!
... also a great place to enjoy nature & macro photography!

... you will encounter me there! I live there ... just bed down a mile from there!

Old 01-05-2007, 02:07 PM

125 posts, read 511,176 times
If you have a real big problem with congestion, then you might have a look at wake county's projected growth for the next 10 years.. its pretty astounding, and so much that i'll garuntee the city will not be able to keep up with the growth.

Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,674,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prius109 View Post
If you have a real big problem with congestion, then you might have a look at wake county's projected growth for the next 10 years.. its pretty astounding, and so much that i'll garuntee the city will not be able to keep up with the growth.
The one thing I'd say about that is... everything's relative. :-) Orlando has done a MUCH worse job of handling its growth than the Triangle has. Roads, schools, etc. here are much better than Central Florida. I think a big reason has to do with who moved where and why. Folks typically relocated to the Triangle following professional-level jobs, had higher expectations for "quality of life" issues like good schools, roads, etc., and are willing to pay for them.

Many folks I knew moving to Orlando were leaving the same midwest/northeast towns, but were coming down and working service sector jobs (often tourism) or retiring and were _much_ more opposed to tax increases, etc. to pay for the growth. Orlando is choking on its own bigness, and other than agreeing that new residents should pay big impact fees ($6,000+) on new houses, there's just not the tax base to really pay for the infrastructure.

I mean, the Wake Co. bond issue NEVER would have passed in Orlando. And Wake's schools were a ton better to begin with!

Old 01-08-2007, 09:51 AM

28 posts, read 100,359 times
Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital_Duck View Post
welcome to Holly Springs!
.... bring your fishing pole!
especially if you like to catch catfish!

From spring to fall Bass Lake is a spoiled fisherman's dream!
... also a great place to enjoy nature & macro photography!

... you will encounter me there! I live there ... just bed down a mile from there!

Thanks for the warm welcome! Certainly looking forward to the move... My fiance loves fishing and I myself enjoy it from time to time. Guess we'll see you around!

Old 01-08-2007, 07:04 PM

312 posts, read 1,848,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull City Rising View Post
Hi George,

Glad you're considering the area! I was born in Winter Park in the 70s, a 3rd-generation Floridian who left Orlando for New England to go to college and never would have dreamed of moving back. :-)

NCHomeFinder is right on in terms of recommendations. If I had to draw parallels back to the Orlando metro area:

Suburban Wake County (Cary/Apex/Holly Springs) is a lot like Longwood/Lake Mary in Seminole County. Good schools, development-oriented neighborhoods, shopping. Most people who live there commute to work (in this case, RTP or downtown Raleigh or Durham.)

Parts of Inside-the-Beltline Raleigh is akin to College Park, Lake Eola, Thornton Park, etc. in Orlando, or to sections of Winter Park. (Parts of Durham, like the historic neighborhoods west/north of downtown or Hope Valley, are as well.)

North Raleigh -- reminds me a lot of Altamonte Springs. Shares lots of traits with other "Seminole" (i.e., suburban Wake) developments, but slightly denser, developed a few decades earlier; more established shopping, dining than Holly Springs/Apex.

Johnston County -- think Volusia County (Deltona, Enterprise, DeBary, etc.) in Orlando. Newly developing, less established, longer commutes to work... but less "crowded."

Chapel Hill -- sort of like Winter Park, except politically progressive and with excellent, FREE bus service, and with a world-renowned state university instead of a college for rich kids. :-)

Hillsborough -- a smaller Mt. Dora, only much more centrally located for those who work at/near RTP.

Carrboro -- really, nothing like it in Orlando. Politically more progressive than Chapel Hill, very environmentally conscious, lots of infill development, more transit oriented.

Durham -- tough to make a true analogy. Southern Durham (near SouthPoint) is similar to Seminole Co. in Florida... maybe Maitland? As I've mentioned, some neighborhoods near downtown are very similar to the Eola/College Park areas of Orlando. Durham has "funky" shops and the best gourmet restaurants in the Triangle... kind of like Winter Park in the 80s. Some areas of Durham are economically disadvantaged and have higher crime, and have a reputation similar, unfortunately, to that of Parramore in Orlando.

Fayetteville -- Lakeland, with a military base! And yeah, some people do commute from Lakeland to Orlando each day, but why would you want to?

Good news ... there's nothing like Kissimmee/Osceola Co. in the Triangle!

Welcome aboard! I agree with this poster above. I'm originally from Daytona Beach, Volusia County. I moved to Clayton (Johnston County) not too long ago and we love it. Johnston County has some "rural feel" to it, but it is growing rapidly. More stores are being built and new highway is under construction for faster commute beginning next year. I works in Garner and it took me 20 minutes to commute. If you want to work in downtown Raleigh, I would say it would take about 35 minutes or more to commute. Living in Clayton doesn't make us feel "crowded". We loved it here. We're never move back to Florida again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>