Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2022, 09:34 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times

Advertisements

An easy fix for this is to just register your cars in another state under an LLC. I see a ton of RVs and fancy cars like Ferraris registered in South Dakota for tax reasons and because they don't require these pointless inspections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 08:24 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,724 times
I always have problems at an intersection when I have to look left and my vision i blocked by tinted windshields.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:30 AM

4,264 posts, read 4,718,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
An easy fix for this is to just register your cars in another state under an LLC. I see a ton of RVs and fancy cars like Ferraris registered in South Dakota for tax reasons and because they don't require these pointless inspections.
Yeah, but those vehicle owners would be paying a lot of taxes otherwise. I can't imagine that creating an LLC and registering your car in SD is worth it just to dodge window tinting rules and fees in NC.

Old 09-27-2022, 08:42 AM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
It is legal though, on a truck/suv only the front 2 windows have to be 32%+, behind that, they can be as dark as you want. It is an interesting law for sure.
Yep, and even smaller SUVs/crossovers that everyone drives these days like the RAV4, CRVs, etc all can get dark tint in the back. That makes the front windows look much darker and more privacy even if they are the legal 32% kind. At least we got that in NC!

“Requirements do not apply to other windows on:

Multipurpose vehicles (e.g., mini-van, pickup truck, SUV) designed to carry 10 or less passengers – where the window is behind the driver and is built on a truck chassis or has special features designed for occasional off‐road operation”

Old 09-27-2022, 08:47 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Doesn’t this mess with your ability to get car insurance? Some companies in NC won’t fully insure you even if you are temporarily out of state for several months.

Old 09-27-2022, 11:53 AM

3,731 posts, read 2,060,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
It is legal though, on a truck/suv only the front 2 windows have to be 32%+, behind that, they can be as dark as you want. It is an interesting law for sure.
I am getting my new to me SUV (or whatever fancy name the manufacture gives their SUVs) tinted soon as my permanent plates arrive. I saw this law mentioned online (i.e. on SUVs, Front windows have to be sub 32, everything else can be as dark as you want) and couldn't believe it was a the law....but it is and you are confirming it here. Timely.

That is what I will be doing. 32 on the fronts, probably 50 on the middle and rear of the car (that seems to be the sweet spot on controlling heat)

Old 09-27-2022, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Lol this is silly. Look at all the enormous suvs being driven by distracted Cary soccer moms that come completely blacked out from the factory except the front windows. I guess they don’t care about what goes on in the other 80% of the car?
Yup its the law in NC as the other poster pointed out.

On Trucks and SUVs, only the front windows have to be 32 or less. Limitless on all other windows/rears. I agree it's sorta bizarre (like, no one in your back seats couldn't be doing something they shouldn't/a risk to an approaching police officer etc?)....but here we are.

Old 09-27-2022, 06:15 PM

4,557 posts, read 3,759,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVoR View Post
I am getting my new to me SUV (or whatever fancy name the manufacture gives their SUVs) tinted soon as my permanent plates arrive. I saw this law mentioned online (i.e. on SUVs, Front windows have to be sub 32, everything else can be as dark as you want) and couldn't believe it was a the law....but it is and you are confirming it here. Timely.

That is what I will be doing. 32 on the fronts, probably 50 on the middle and rear of the car (that seems to be the sweet spot on controlling heat)

You mean you will be getting 32% on the front, and then get 20 or 25% in the back and rear if you want darker. If your SUV already has privacy glass on it from the factory, you can put the same 32% over the back/rear privacy glass and get the same nice dark look.

Old 09-27-2022, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
You mean you will be getting 32% on the front, and then get 20 or 25% in the back and rear if you want darker. If your SUV already has privacy glass on it from the factory, you can put the same 32% over the back/rear privacy glass and get the same nice dark look.
Correct. Fronts are tint less currently. So to the limit there.

No idea what % VLT the backs have now but want to get to around 50 once done. There is factory privacy glass back there now.

Old 10-06-2022, 11:48 AM

97 posts, read 190,516 times
So, any advice on where to get quality (3M / Llumar / etc), legal, ceramic tint professionally installed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary