Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 01:39 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
This is essentially the thought behind the home safety evaluations the police will do...or did in the past. I had a Cary police officer come to my house and give me tips to make it "safer" aka less likely to get robbed. All of the suggestions were designed at slowing down potential thieves so they move on to an easier target. Locking your car door does this. We have been putting on notices about this for years through our neighborhood listserv and I am amazed so many people are still not locking their car doors. We have also suggested removing the garage door opener from the car and locking the door into the house from the garage. Years ago I read on here about a break in that happened in Preston. A guy went into an unlocked car, opened a garage and then walked into the unlocked house. A girl was awake and noticed him. She and a family member called the police and hid in the closet. He heard the police cars and left the house. None of this is new.
The one with the girl and her grandma? THe police killed the guy?

The bottom line is technology is making it easier and easier for people to get their cars stolen. I see it all the time at work - all the keys are with the insured and there's no sign of forced entry.

Now to be sure a lot of these cars have been towed.

I'm also not gonna compare the town I came here from to here - 25K v 150k and I know for a fact that the village police aren't reporting crime as they should.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2022, 01:44 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
So yeah, just estimating, but adjusting for COL Easton probably has a 10-15% lower HHI. Maybe more.
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Seems like a 10% variance with no income added

Last edited by Yac; 09-27-2022 at 09:44 PM..

Old 09-27-2022, 02:04 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,057,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal_M View Post
This is essentially the thought behind the home safety evaluations the police will do...or did in the past. I had a Cary police officer come to my house and give me tips to make it "safer" aka less likely to get robbed. All of the suggestions were designed at slowing down potential thieves so they move on to an easier target. Locking your car door does this. We have been putting on notices about this for years through our neighborhood listserv and I am amazed so many people are still not locking their car doors. We have also suggested removing the garage door opener from the car and locking the door into the house from the garage. Years ago I read on here about a break in that happened in Preston. A guy went into an unlocked car, opened a garage and then walked into the unlocked house. A girl was awake and noticed him. She and a family member called the police and hid in the closet. He heard the police cars and left the house. None of this is new.
I do this as well. But my smartphone is my house key (August Smart Door locks) so it is less cumbersome to manage it all.

"Crap did I lock the door?" Checks phone "Nope". Hits lock button.

Same principle applies to Garage doors. I put in Smart Openers and now I know when my stuff is closed or not.

Old 09-28-2022, 10:52 AM

13,714 posts, read 12,427,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I've gone through this several times, but will go through it again. Cary is a geographically very large town, and therefore has a large population. Due to its large population, it gets compared to smallish cities (not towns), which isn't really a fair comparison considering it's as suburban you can get. If you compare the crime rates in Cary to the crime rates of a suburban town in the northeast (I came from MA so I use MA as an example), it's not even close to apples to apples.

For example - annual property crimes in Winchester, MA, which is a suburb about 15 minutes outside Boston, has a property crime rate per 1000 people of 4.27:

Cary, has a property crime rate of more than double that, at 9.53:

Since Winchester is sort of a snobby upper middle class town, I'll take the town next door, Stoneham, which is much more middle class. They have a rate of 6.84:

I tried to find a town/city in MA with a similar property crime rate as Cary, and came up with Woburn:

Those who are familiar with Woburn would likely laugh if you tried to compare it to Cary as far as overall desirability.

So there are some hard facts and data to back up my opinion that crime is higher in the Triangle than it should/could be. Again, it comes down to what you're used to.
That's a good point, and thanks for presenting a comparison that makes sense.

I guess my next question would be, considering the size of Cary and that it borders or is close to a couple not-so-great areas, how relevant are the statistics on the whole?

Meaning, if I live in Wakefield in Raleigh, what happens in Southeast Raleigh is about as relevant as what's happening in Zebulon, despite being within Raleigh City limits.

If you're somewhere near NW Cary Parkway or Davis Drive, is what's happening around Cary Towne Center relevant?

Again, I don't live there and I don't know. But as you said, Cary is geographically huge.

Old 09-28-2022, 02:42 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,340,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
The one with the girl and her grandma? THe police killed the guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

The bottom line is technology is making it easier and easier for people to get their cars stolen. I see it all the time at work - all the keys are with the insured and there's no sign of forced entry.

Now to be sure a lot of these cars have been towed.

I'm also not gonna compare the town I came here from to here - 25K v 150k and I know for a fact that the village police aren't reporting crime as they should.
Yeah, I believe so. He had a gun that he found in another unlocked car and there was a chase into the woods. There was a 911 call that someone put on here, it was pretty crazy.

I found the story:
https://www.cbs17.com/news/women-hid...-call-reveals/

Last edited by Sal_M; 09-28-2022 at 03:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary