Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 05:11 PM

5 posts, read 14,446 times

Advertisements

wondering if any of you could help me decide between apex or holly springs...i am a single mother of two (9 yo daughter and 1 yo son) looking for a suburban place to live not too big, but not too small, safe, good schools (elementary, middle, and h.s) close proximity to parks/recreation for kids, reasonable commute time to good jobs (i am an ofc mgr looking to transition into schools or medical offices), nice people, lots of children so my kids can have neighbors/friends to play with, i would rent a house or apt for first 1-2 yrs (pref. with yard/play area/green, pool) then i would look into buying a house.

any help/advice/info/opinion would be much appreciated, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 06:31 PM

103 posts, read 98,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisy View Post
wondering if any of you could help me decide between apex or holly springs...i am a single mother of two (9 yo daughter and 1 yo son) looking for a suburban place to live not too big, but not too small, safe, good schools (elementary, middle, and h.s) close proximity to parks/recreation for kids, reasonable commute time to good jobs (i am an ofc mgr looking to transition into schools or medical offices), nice people, lots of children so my kids can have neighbors/friends to play with, i would rent a house or apt for first 1-2 yrs (pref. with yard/play area/green, pool) then i would look into buying a house.

any help/advice/info/opinion would be much appreciated, thank you!

I would pick Apex first, so you will be closer to things in the Triangle. It will give you a good launching point to see and learn the area. Both towns are safe and family friendly.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:16 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
My wife and I chose Holly Springs for the more rural feel but still close to things (not as close as Apex). In HSP you will get more for your money as well. It's not as congested as Apex (see where 55 turns to one lane through old downtown) but yes there are parts that are further out. It really depends on if you are looking for a little more land or that "country" feel in some areas but as far as a choice you really can't go wrong with either.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:21 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Apex has all of that, but is quckly becoming less "small town" and really more suburban sprawl. Its definitely family friendly and has great schools, but the whole town doesn't go to those good nearby schools. It's a little more expsnsive than Holly Springs, but is closer to most places you'd work and has more ammenties (again though, in recent years this has come at the expense of losing some of that small town charm). I'd stil choose Apex over HS, expecially since HS probably won't be much more affordable than Apex for long.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 14,446 times
thank you so much everyone for your responses. i'm sorry it took me awhile to write back i didn't have comp access, anyway you all have been very helpful i really appreciate it...i will post again with more ques and/or my decision thanks everyone!

Old 04-18-2013, 05:19 AM

7 posts, read 18,351 times
I am wondering how much more expensive the housing is in Cary vs. Holly Springs. We were thinking $320max in Cary and 260max in Holly Springs. Any advice? Also, does anyone know about Holly Springs High, Holly Ridge Middle, Holly Grove Middle. Thanks

Old 04-18-2013, 06:15 AM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
Apex fits all your descriptions except for maybe "small town". Everyone here calls it a small town, but at 36,000 people, I do not consider that a small town. It is expected to see more growth, but so is HS. I looked at both, but HS was a little too far from my job. You will get more for your $ in HS. To rasey, your budget seems fine, depending on your expectations of the house.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:16 AM

513 posts, read 695,387 times
Just realized this is a 2008 thread... Jaisy prolly doesnt need any advice at this ponit

Old 04-18-2013, 07:24 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,653,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasey View Post
I am wondering how much more expensive the housing is in Cary vs. Holly Springs. We were thinking $320max in Cary and 260max in Holly Springs. Any advice? Also, does anyone know about Holly Springs High, Holly Ridge Middle, Holly Grove Middle. Thanks
I can't speak to the home values in Cary vs. Holly Springs. Truth is when we moved here 6 years ago we wanted to move to the Cary "area" then we got there and saw the congestion and that there was really nothing special about Cary (my opinion!). We fell in love with Holly Springs. However over the 6 years we've been here we've had tremendous growth.

HS High and Holly Grove Middle are new schools (within the last 4-6 years maybe). Our son is at HG Middle and we really like it. Young teachers who still have a passion for teaching, excellent principal, we are very pleased. HGMS is year round while HRMS is traditional - if that matters to you.

The town offers tons of recreational programs for people of ALL ages. We are very happy we chose Holly Springs.

Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Holly Springs and Apex tend to run in to each other so you may be in Holly Springs but have an Apex mailing address and visa versa.

Holly Springs (today) reminds me of Cary (when I lived there 25 years ago)!!!

With the buying frenzy that is going on and builders building and selling as fast as they can, it will be interesting to see the growth that comes to Holly Springs. I recently had clients buy in 12 Oaks and there are new shopping centers in that area popping up rather quickly.

For anyone considering the two areas, price the neighborhood more than the area. It will make more sense.

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary