Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 08:07 PM

366 posts, read 227,555 times

Advertisements

I'm supposed to be flying into RDU tomorrow morning around 9 AM from NoVA. Fingers crossed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 08:29 PM

2,113 posts, read 2,729,056 times
For that very reason I am dreading work so much tomorrow.
It's bad enough making my deliveries on regular days. I'll be
drenched tomorrow. At least it's FRIDAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Tomorrow will be one of the nastiest, coldest, raw September days in recent memory.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:34 PM

22,672 posts, read 36,816,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
As Ian moves north, it will become less of a tropical system and more of a nor’easter. It’s moving steadily toward cool, dry air that will zap it of its tropical characteristics. Still, it will deliver blustery and raw conditions to North Carolina and Virginia. Tomorrow will be one of the nastiest, coldest, raw September days in recent memory.
It sure does not feel like the usual hurricane weather.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:59 PM

18,114 posts, read 15,690,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Some people in flood-prone areas might get lucky this time. With so little rain in recent weeks, the ground will absorb a lot of water. Likewise, tree roots are in hard dirt and even if we get wind gusts at 50+, we shouldn't see as many trees falling as usual.

Fingers crossed. I'm surrounded by very tall trees on 3 sides (neighbor properties). I have tall trees in back and have had several removed over the years, and pruning done, but many remain. We're talking 80 to 100 ft tall trees.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:59 PM

Looking for some positives on this storm because I know the
railroads usually curtail operations in these conditions. I came
across this response to a quote by someone else on a train board
and it made me chuckle... and gave me hope something might be
running Friday and Saturday? Names were removed to protect
the innocent.

> Most railroads. If not all. Will stop
> service. Move equipment to higher ground if
> needed. Crossing gates and anything else that can
> be damaged in high winds will be removed.

That's funny & that is what *should* happen. However, black & white railroad prefers a hamfisted approach: just try to run the trains like it was any other day, then spend the next 2-3 weeks repairing stuff & trying to get back to what passes for "normal" these days. Can't afford to have some crews safe at home, no sir, we'll let them HOS out on the line with trees down everywhere & power outages & scramble to find relief crews and rides for everyone. Stuck at the hotel with no power? That's your problem. That round peg will eventually fit in the square hole if the hammer is big enough.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:55 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,308,757 times
We got super lucky and found an "almost break" in the rain, so we walked our dog a mile. Got drizzled, but not soaked. It was pretty "raw" outside for this time of year, but he (and we) was thankful for the walk.

So far, just a lot of rain and wind. Supposed to be worse this afternoon. Hoping for lack of rain tomorrow, so I can get on my bike and survey the outcomes...

Old 09-30-2022, 08:40 AM

6,381 posts, read 5,501,958 times
Still just getting started but this definitely feels more like a nor'easter/winter storm than anything tropical thus far.

Seeing pictures/videos from SW Florida now though.......definitely can't complain. Catastrophic doesn't do it justice.

Old 09-30-2022, 10:24 AM

4,607 posts, read 6,435,061 times
It’s extra-tropical now. It’s 54 raw friggin degrees in Chapel Hill
This afternoon!

Old 09-30-2022, 11:23 AM

I read where Citywalk at Universal Studios in Orlando
is open. They are trying to do HHN tonight and maybe
open the parks tomorrow? That’s about the only good
news I have found so far if you want to call it that in
relation to Florida?

Old 09-30-2022, 11:28 AM

4,304 posts, read 5,993,109 times
Disney World began a phased reopening at 8am this morning and the four major parks have now reopened. A few smaller things will reopen later today, and then a few others like Typhoon Lagoon will take a bit longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary