Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 06:38 PM

4,556 posts, read 3,756,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSweettea View Post
I think all storms and potentially dangerous. Not really trying to make fun of it. I mean think about it if you’re some elderly frail person and your resources and options are limited, it rains for two days straight the wind kicks up a little bit the roots in the big tree in your front yard are saturated and exposed and the tree falls on your house. That’s a life altering event for someone in that category.

This area gets some incredible thunderstorms. And people here don’t bat an eye to that. But if you get three snowflakes falling out of the sky? You shut the place down for a week. Lol Weather that you shut down a week for here, people barely even notice in other parts of the world. That’s all I’m saying.
Oh sorry, wasn’t singling you out - had just ran into some family members who were upset at closing schools etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2022, 09:39 AM

715 posts, read 1,040,053 times
Didn't even lose power out here in northern Durham County with old trees all over the place along the roadside powerlines. I had the portable generator and transfer-switch heavy-duty cord to plug into the back of the house (run six essential circuits --fridge, microwave, freezer, list goes on--- off the geney without back-feeding the main powerlines) ready and everything and didn't need it. Maybe being prepared helped ;O) We lose power out here for much less, so I was impressed that it only flickered a few times but stayed on. Glad everyone had minimal effects.

Old 10-03-2022, 06:39 AM

16,421 posts, read 12,515,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
I had a lot of large pine branches falling on the roof all night, but no appreciable damage that I can tell. We did lose power for 18+ hours, so I’ve lost everything in the fridge and maybe the freezer (old apartment appliance. I don’t trust it to keep everything cold for extended periods). I’ll know more when I get home.
The good news is that everything in my freezer is still good!! A great tip is to get a bottle and fill it half way with water. Lay it on its side in the freezer until it's solid, then stand it upright near the front of the freezer. It's an easy was to tell how much things thawed during a power outage. The water will start to thaw and settle at the bottom of the bottle. The water in my bottle hadn't melted at all!

Another variation I've seen is to take a mug and freeze some water in it. Then once it's solid, lay a coin on top and leave it in the freezer.

Old 10-03-2022, 02:45 PM

325 posts, read 184,239 times
Back when cameras used film, the 35mm film cans were great for this purpose

Old 10-03-2022, 07:12 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,963,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
The good news is that everything in my freezer is still good!! A great tip is to get a bottle and fill it half way with water. Lay it on its side in the freezer until it's solid, then stand it upright near the front of the freezer. It's an easy was to tell how much things thawed during a power outage. The water will start to thaw and settle at the bottom of the bottle. The water in my bottle hadn't melted at all!

Another variation I've seen is to take a mug and freeze some water in it. Then once it's solid, lay a coin on top and leave it in the freezer.
We have a bunch of 1 L nut jars that we freeze water in to use as ice blocks on camping trips. Had 4 of them in freezer when we lost power for 36h...still frozen solid when power came on. Good indicators and good thermal mass to keep things cold!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary