Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 08:17 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times

Advertisements

I've been waiting for years for Google Fiber to be offered in my neighborhood next to Bedford up in 27614. Crews are literally working on my street today putting in the lines and access boxes. For those who have been through this already, after the lines are installed on your street how long did it take before you could actually sign up and start using the service? I am counting the days until I can dump spectrum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2022, 08:22 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,269,179 times
I think for us they put in the access boxes, then like a year went by and they actually laid the fiber, then like another year went by and it was finally available. It was a long process.

Edit: Those numbers might be a slight exaggeration. It did take a long time though.

Old 10-27-2022, 08:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,281,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I think for us they put in the access boxes, then like a year went by and they actually laid the fiber, then like another year went by and it was finally available. It was a long process.

Edit: Those numbers might be a slight exaggeration. It did take a long time though.
OOF!

I am definitely hoping it is faster than that! But thanks! LOL

Old 10-27-2022, 08:48 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,269,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
OOF!

I am definitely hoping it is faster than that! But thanks! LOL
If they're currently putting in the boxes AND the fiber, that should speed things up. That's not how it went for us though.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:00 AM

4,545 posts, read 3,748,556 times
It was just all over the place here in west Cary for Google fiber - some neighborhoods took forever but some were very fast. But hopefully they've gotten better and your neighborhood is faster.

We were able to get Google fiber very shortly after they finished installing all of the neighborhood lines - this was in 2019.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:29 AM

19,433 posts, read 27,823,287 times
We were able to 'sign up' at least 12 months before it was completed. That out us to the top of the install list when it was ready to go

Hence, I'd suggest calling Google.

Old 10-27-2022, 09:49 AM

21 posts, read 14,252 times
They already installed everything about 2 weeks ago where I live just south of Bedford and it's not available yet. They slice up AT&T's fiber lines pretty good though causing them to come out to replace everyone's fiber lines. And I mean everyone.

Old 10-27-2022, 10:40 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,987,730 times
For me, it was just under three months between when they first came through my street to microtrench and my service installation. But that was five years ago, so no idea what the current process is.

Old 10-27-2022, 11:46 AM

22,666 posts, read 36,783,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
We were able to 'sign up' at least 12 months before it was completed. That out us to the top of the install list when it was ready to go

Hence, I'd suggest calling Google.
I kind of remember that here in Cary....we still haven't switched but we will soon because we are starting to experience massive speed slow downs in the afternoons with Spectrum. I have business class Spectrum through my employer and we end up having to switch to that plenty of times in the afternoon.

Old 10-27-2022, 02:15 PM

119 posts, read 90,086 times
It took a few weeks between the start of construction in my neighborhood and activation at home. We're in west Cary in one of the first subdivisions to get GF service in the first wave of installs a few years ago.

The install itself was a mixed bag, with damage to my irrigation system which required navigating GFs byzantine subcontracting infrastructure in order to remedy. The fiberjack installation was a breeze by comparison. It was all worth it, given the speed, reliability and service responsiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary