Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 08:29 AM

1,921 posts, read 4,774,429 times

Advertisements

I went recently and they just handed me a little placard of signs while I was waiting. The only tricky part is knowing the shapes of the signs but it should be second nature to you if you've been driving for a while.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 08:47 AM

27 posts, read 196,063 times
Sorry. Here is the link I should have posted above:
newsobserver.com |Crosstown Traffic - Turn? Turn. Turn!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:04 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtnc View Post
Sorry. Here is the link I should have posted above:
newsobserver.com |Crosstown Traffic - Turn? Turn. Turn!
Thanks for posting that link! It definitively answered my own question about the multiple right turn lanes on reds. The state that I am from originally does not allow right on red from any lanes other than the farthest right turn lane. I was completely shocked and baffled when I saw people doing it here. I still think it is not a very safe situation, but do it to keep the flow of traffic moving.

I think the NC driver's handbook might need a little refresh if people are unclear about the same things.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:12 PM

171 posts, read 451,957 times
Yes - the multiple right turn thing confused me too. I'm used to right on red only from furthest right lane. The ability to make U-turns was another happy discovery.

I flew down this morning for my home inspection and stopped by my insurance agent's office to go over stuff. She gave me the NC Drivers Handbook while I was there and I started reading it in the airport and on the plane ride home.

Do I really need to be concerned about all the various provisional licenses, etc. (basically Chapter 1 - Your License) for the written test?

Old 05-28-2008, 09:19 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,513,090 times
I knew railroad sign with a little help from this forum to keep a look out for it but the one that got me is the triangle no passing zone sign I didnt know what the official sign name is . The computer test is alot simpler than the old written tests they have done away with answers that go
I only
II only
Both I and II
Neither I and II
Go with what you know you will have 25 questions you only need 20 to pass and it will let you know how many you have correct as you go skip the challenging ones and go back if needed.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,464 times
My husband and I took it a few weeks ago and failed. He made fun of me when I finished first and failed. Then he failed a few minutes later. haha. We retook it a few days later and both got 100%. Pay attention to the numbers questions like percentages, points per offense, etc. Those were the ones that tripped us up.

Old 05-29-2008, 03:48 AM

SunnyKayak, and others - the last time I took it we did the written form, so I guess I was a little confused with some of the input here not knowing it is now a computer test. You said it gives you a running total as you answer the questions, and you only have 25 questions on the test but need 20 to pass, correct?? I assume the sign test is still separate from the 25 question test?

Old 05-29-2008, 04:02 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,422,405 times
Do I really need to be concerned about all the various provisional licenses, etc. (basically Chapter 1 - Your License) for the written test?

No Ned, there were no questions about this. A couple I DO remember:

% deaths related to drunk driving - (38% I think)
Stopping for schoolbus on divided highway (with/without medians/turnabouts)
What infractions you can lose your license for: refusing breathalizer etc.
You must move out of right lane if police/emergency vehicle is stopped in the breakdown

Old 05-29-2008, 06:09 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,643,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtnc View Post
SunnyKayak, and others - the last time I took it we did the written form, so I guess I was a little confused with some of the input here not knowing it is now a computer test. You said it gives you a running total as you answer the questions, and you only have 25 questions on the test but need 20 to pass, correct?? I assume the sign test is still separate from the 25 question test?
Thank goodness for computers! Yes, the computer lets you know how many questions you have answered correctly as you go along. I think (no, actually, HOPE) that most people who are failing the test just didn't know they were allowed to skip questions that they are not sure of. I pretty much skipped the ones that had anything to do with points (that I wasn't 100% sure of) and percentages.

Aside from the questions about points and percentages and numbers, all the questions that actually pertain to driving on the road are very basic and should be common sense, and if someone gets them wrong I think they should have to retake the practical driving test! This might explain some of the hairbrained maneuvers we see on the road, though, such as not using turn signals and not turning lights on when visibility is bad.

I remember my test taking strategies in school, and even on pencil and paper tests they tell you to skip the ones you aren't sure of and answer the ones you are, then come back if needed. It is a great strategy, because it helps build your confidence and jog your memory when you answer questions that you know the answers to.

The sign test is separate and you do this in the same viewer thing as the vision test.

Old 05-29-2008, 06:39 AM

Sorry to beat a dead horse here, and thanks for the previous input, but if you're skipping questions about precentages, numbers, etc, then you only have 5 you can skip, right, since there are only 25 on the test and you have to answer 20?

Can y'all remember some of the sign questions besides octagon=stop, round=rr x, right triangle=no passing, house (five-sides)=school zone, etc, that were tricky?? I'm really looking for the tricky stuff, and I hear that some signs, if not most, don't have anything on them including color now, so you have to recognize them by shape.

Appreciate all the input.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary