Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 06:45 AM

2,270 posts, read 9,148,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtnc View Post
Sorry to beat a dead horse here, and thanks for the previous input, but if you're skipping questions about precentages, numbers, etc, then you only have 5 you can skip, right, since there are only 25 on the test and you have to answer 20?
If you skip a question and you have not yet answered 20 correctly, eventually the question will show up again. You could "skip" a large number, but you'd see the question again eventually. However, the minute you answer 20 correctly the machine shuts off, so if you knew the answers to other questions you may not see the question again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2008, 06:53 AM

27 posts, read 196,081 times
Also, I hear if you fail it there is a waiting period. Anyone know what that might be??

Old 05-29-2008, 07:09 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,424,269 times
Waiting period is 1 week

Old 05-29-2008, 07:14 AM

Thank you..

Old 05-29-2008, 07:43 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,670 times
Quote:
Sorry to beat a dead horse here, and thanks for the previous input, but if you're skipping questions about precentages, numbers, etc, then you only have 5 you can skip, right, since there are only 25 on the test and you have to answer 20?

Can y'all remember some of the sign questions besides octagon=stop, round=rr x, right triangle=no passing, house (five-sides)=school zone, etc, that were tricky?? I'm really looking for the tricky stuff, and I hear that some signs, if not most, don't have anything on them including color now, so you have to recognize them by shape.

Appreciate all the input.
Skipped questions will be repeated if you don't get 20 correct before they come up again. Otherwise, the test stops as soon as you get 20 correct.

As for signs, they didn't have writing on some of them, but I think I remember one that had writing on it because I felt pretty silly just reading what the sign said. It was a rectangle one like the "Reduced Speed Ahead" or "No Parking" or something like that. All the signs had color on the test I took.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Driver License Exam BrainDumps: Study Guide for the NC DMV exam

Know the above and the signs.

I got 20 of 20 and my wife got 20 or 21 about two months ago.

Are you currently a safe driver, well trained in the laws of your current licensed state? If so then you understand common sense safe driving and will be able to answer most of the test intuitively. About 5 questions are specific North Carolina and are in the pool in the above link. Example riding in the back of a pickup truck if no town in the county is above a certain population. Learn the unique North Carolina ones from the web site. I did the test very quickly and the woman asked me if I had failed I was done so soon so I smirked and said no I aced it.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:55 AM

A little update on this thread. I went yesterday to take the drivers license test, and have found some things out. If you are renewing your NC license and have had NO violations for 10 years (I think they said 10), you just take the vision and sign tests, pay $20, get your picture taken, and go....no written/computer test. So, if you new folks are going to stay around the area for a while, keep your record clean and breeze through the DMV/license renewal process.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:48 AM

850 posts, read 3,625,969 times
I got the manual, read it through a couple times....studied the jay tomlin site and did the practice tests here;

Quia - Driving Quiz - North Carolina

Sailed through with flying colors. Both dh and I were amazed that there's alot of questions not relating specifically to driving...like how long you lose your license for a DWI, etc.

Lauren

Old 05-31-2008, 11:17 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
Tip:
You can apply for NCDL and tags in any county of North Carolina.
If you live within a metro area it would probably be better to go to a "small" town DMV office and tag office for less of chance of a longer line.
DMV and tag office are not in same location due to the tag office is contracted out by the state but still govern by the state.
Call ahead and see if they have written or computer tests and make a reservation for an appointment with the NCDL . Arrive when theyopen for faster processing, and keep in mind school is out so there going to be alot of new teen drivers applying. Since most of teens I know sleep in the summer---get there before 11 lol.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-31-2008 at 06:15 PM..

Old 05-31-2008, 09:16 PM

835 posts, read 2,877,846 times
Quote:
Also, I hear if you fail it there is a waiting period. Anyone know what that might be??
We were told to come back the next day but went back 3 days later and retook the test.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary