Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2022, 11:57 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,280,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
How do you really know if you were able to protect them or not? I'm not trying to be argumentative, nor snarky, but I have a somewhat complicated situation, and much like the OP, I'm always a bit cautious about whom to trust with my will and estate planning. It's one thing to "feel" like they're protected, but how does one know if they are still alive (eg: If we haven't died, the will has not been tested).

I've heard nightmares about shoddy planning that ended up going to a child in need, who ends up getting disqualified for any benefits because of the infusion of money, which then all gets taken for medical bills until they are broke again.

I "think" I had a good plan in place. But now my daughter is adult aged, and I have to do it all over again. I don't want her to get any amount of money that will harm her, yet I DO want her to be looked after when I am gone. It's very difficult, especially since none (very few) of us have any real expertise in these legal matters.
I think the poster meant they set up a trust. I'm not really sure "protect" is the right word - althought I think a trust can make things easier as far as avoiding probate. Maybe I'm misunderstanding....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2022, 11:57 AM

5,898 posts, read 6,966,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 919 rtp View Post
I wouldn't do it online. Hire a NC based attorney so everything is appropriate to NC estate laws.
On-line programs/apps like WillMaker are legal/appropriate to all states (except maybe Louisiana). I would get a copy of it and fill it out like you were doing a will. It will at least make you start thinking about the various things you have to consider, and will be much cheaper than paying a lawyer to explain things. You can then go to a lawyer to have things drawn up.

I am a member of SECU, but have not used their legal services.

Old 11-01-2022, 12:18 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,359,991 times
Quote:
How do you really know if you were able to protect them or not? I'm not trying to be argumentative, nor snarky, but I have a somewhat complicated situation, and much like the OP, I'm always a bit cautious about whom to trust with my will and estate planning. It's one thing to "feel" like they're protected, but how does one know if they are still alive (eg: If we haven't died, the will has not been tested).

I've heard nightmares about shoddy planning that ended up going to a child in need, who ends up getting disqualified for any benefits because of the infusion of money, which then all gets taken for medical bills until they are broke again.

I "think" I had a good plan in place. But now my daughter is adult aged, and I have to do it all over again. I don't want her to get any amount of money that will harm her, yet I DO want her to be looked after when I am gone. It's very difficult, especially since none (very few) of us have any real expertise in these legal matters.
If you have a child that will need to be taken care of once you pass, then you should set up a special needs trust for them, and have your will move your money into the trust. Make sure you have a trustee you can trust to manage the account.

Old 11-01-2022, 07:22 PM

743 posts, read 826,874 times
Quote:

Nothing is 100% but we do feel we made reasonable decisions to help our kids if something happens to both of us while they they are still young. We have a 10,8 & 3 year old who has developmental delays & is possibly autistic plus their father is a POS meth head & completely irresponsible. We chose the law firm that drafted our plan to act as executor & let our grown children have a copy of it so they know what our wishes are

Old 11-02-2022, 08:46 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,295,927 times
Good discussion. Appreciate all the feedback. I have only started my research and was simply curious if anybody had used the NC SECU estate planning service and if they were happy with the results.

I certainly don't think $450 for a will is "Big Money" but I also don't have a sense for how much it would cost if I went private attorney/estate planner. I'm assuming our situation is pretty basic and wouldn't be complicated to sort through. Just me and my wife. No Kids. A house, two cars, joint brokerage account and a few tax-advantaged retirement accounts. Still have a decade + until retirement. Pension and Life insurance already squared away w/ primary and secondary beneficiaries identified.

Old 11-05-2022, 04:12 PM

1,063 posts, read 911,498 times
well, how about getting 2 opinions?
try SECU and a private set-up.
sort like a surgery second opinion.

Old 11-05-2022, 04:41 PM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Good discussion. Appreciate all the feedback. I have only started my research and was simply curious if anybody had used the NC SECU estate planning service and if they were happy with the results.

I certainly don't think $450 for a will is "Big Money" but I also don't have a sense for how much it would cost if I went private attorney/estate planner. I'm assuming our situation is pretty basic and wouldn't be complicated to sort through. Just me and my wife. No Kids. A house, two cars, joint brokerage account and a few tax-advantaged retirement accounts. Still have a decade + until retirement. Pension and Life insurance already squared away w/ primary and secondary beneficiaries identified.

NRG,
We went to Chris Morden for wills. https://monroewallace.com/attorney/c...pher-s-morden/
No kids, like you.
But, large extended families for both of us, so some desires we wanted to address.

We paid quite a bit more than $450, but it was money well-spent. He gave us all the time we wanted, answered tons of questions, and the follow-up was great.
Living wills, so we can pull the plug on each other, and have appointed other parties for that in case one of us shuffles off first..... etc.
$1800 I think, a few years ago, but I would defer to him to quote his own fees.

I tend to want someone who specializes in legal stuff, rather than a jack-of-all-trades.

Old 11-05-2022, 08:19 PM

379 posts, read 207,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
NRG,
We went to Chris Morden for wills. https://monroewallace.com/attorney/c...pher-s-morden/
No kids, like you.
But, large extended families for both of us, so some desires we wanted to address.

We paid quite a bit more than $450, but it was money well-spent. He gave us all the time we wanted, answered tons of questions, and the follow-up was great.
Living wills, so we can pull the plug on each other, and have appointed other parties for that in case one of us shuffles off first..... etc.
$1800 I think, a few years ago, but I would defer to him to quote his own fees.

I tend to want someone who specializes in legal stuff, rather than a jack-of-all-trades.
SECU is hardly a "jack-of-all-trades". They offer a host of professional financial planning and legal advice services for very reasonable prices. For members. Not for profit. If you don't have kids or other dependents, they can do what any other "high priced" attorneys or financial planners for much less. If you have kids, they can do the same.

On the other hand, if you have "special needs" children like I do, I would recommend you seeking someone who specializes in this, rather than SECU.

Last edited by Mr. Big; 11-05-2022 at 08:27 PM..

Old 11-10-2022, 12:01 PM

57 posts, read 47,263 times
I am an SECU employee. The attorneys participating in the Estate Planning Essentials Program are not employees or agents of the Credit Union.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:27 PM

43,316 posts, read 77,165,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarMagnolia75 View Post
I am an SECU employee. The attorneys participating in the Estate Planning Essentials Program are not employees or agents of the Credit Union.

I think this is a cogent point. So, they are paying SECU for leads?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary