Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2022, 11:21 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,283,715 times

Advertisements

I noticed that Cary has started re-doing all their branding, and the "town of" is no longer there. Just pure speculation, but is it possible they're trying to drop the "town" designation?

For example:

https://twitter.com/caryncgov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2022, 11:35 AM

6,382 posts, read 5,507,323 times

Official account for Town of Cary, NC

Old 11-10-2022, 11:58 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,831,891 times
Well "Town" is really a legal designation - there are "towns" where I'm from that are actually cities because technically it is a different kind of government structure. Maybe they want to be City of Cary?

NVM I looked at Nick's twitter link. Looks like they are just dropping "town" from their logo.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Well "Town" is really a legal designation - there are "towns" where I'm from that are actually cities because technically it is a different kind of government structure. Maybe they want to be City of Cary?

NVM I looked at Nick's twitter link. Looks like they are just dropping "town" from their logo.
Whatever it is it's in process, may not be fully complete. They changed their Twitter handle from @townofcary (I think) to @caryncgov. It could be anything, but thought it was interesting.

The also own carync.gov which currently redirects to townofcary.org, but I assume that will reverse at some point.

May just be a preference of the state.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:20 PM

4,305 posts, read 5,995,875 times
Town leaders have made a number of comments over the years about the "Town of Cary" name making it seem smaller than it really is. And of course in NC there's no legal distinction between a town and a city.

Exploring the impact of the "town" usage was an explicit aspect of the rebranding effort.

Quote:
Hypothesis: Being known as a “town†negatively impacts achieving the goals of the Imagine Cary Community Plan. “City†offers advantages over “town†when it comes to realizing the Imagine Cary Community Plan.
https://www.townofcary.org/projects-...anding-project

Old 11-10-2022, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Town leaders have made a number of comments over the years about the "Town of Cary" name making it seem smaller than it really is. And of course in NC there's no legal distinction between a town and a city.

Exploring the impact of the "town" usage was an explicit aspect of the rebranding effort.

https://www.townofcary.org/projects-...anding-project
Interesting. I think that says a lot about their vision - they're no longer trying for that small town feel, although I think that's been obvious over the years with what they're doing downtown.

I'm neutral. Trying to pretend Cary is a small town is dumb, but I also don't want it to be Raleigh (not saying it ever will be).

Old 11-10-2022, 12:42 PM

5,901 posts, read 6,971,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
Town leaders have made a number of comments over the years about the "Town of Cary" name making it seem smaller than it really is.
And I thought the new branding was going to be something like "Cary - More than Beige"

I moved to Cary in the mid-80s and went to Town Hall to give them a deposit for water service. When I asked if I should make out the check to the "City of Cary", I was quickly corrected that it was the "Town of Cary". I think the population then was under 40k.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:44 PM

4,305 posts, read 5,995,875 times
Yeah, the emphasis has been trying to attract more commercial than residential, and things have definitely been trending that way in recent years and they want to keep it going. The "Town of Cary" name suggests it's a bedroom community for other job centers of the region when in fact Cary is a jobs engine of its own with a net inflow of commuters.

Increased density is inevitable for Cary as it runs out of land and tries to not stagnate. There will still be neighborhoods of cul-de-sacs for miles, but certain pockets like downtown will (and already have been) changing significantly.

Old 11-10-2022, 12:46 PM

3,731 posts, read 2,061,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

To tack onto this, Town (and City) typically have quantifiable characteristics as well.

Cities are generally 50K or more in population combined with densities of 1500 people/sq km (roughly 3800 people/sq mi). Anything smaller OR less dense is a town.

Cary is obviously above the total population number, but slightly under that density cutoff (think Cary is around 3100 people/sq mi).

In MA, the biggest "Town" population wise was Framingham, there were even jokes about it being a "town". Think the citizens voted like 4/5 years ago to give up the game and make it a "city".

Old 11-10-2022, 12:49 PM

It'll be interesting to see the outrage when people catch on to this. Save the trees, don't do away with my small town feel, no more development, what about the animals, etc. Coming soon to a Nextdoor near you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary