Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 02:15 PM

17 posts, read 80,898 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Raleigh area and need to know where the traditional Churches are. I have read a lot on another Blog quite disturbing, and am wondering if there is a holy Church in the area - one with Eucharistic Adoration and Masses during the week and also on First Friday and First Saturdays? A good Catholic school would be nice also!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 03:24 PM

413 posts, read 1,255,289 times
Did you know you were entering "mission territory"? Seriously, I believe the Catholic population is less than 5% (when I moved here it was below 2%!). That said, it is growing. If you are in Raleigh, I would suggest checking out St. Francis. It's the biggest (congregation size) in Raleigh.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:46 PM

14 posts, read 38,065 times
Default Catholic here

St Michael's in Cary is also a very large parish. It's a really nice church and they also have a school, but it gets very crowded. If you live further away like I do, there are also a few other churches. My kids go to CCD in Apex.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:24 PM

171 posts, read 451,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaWL NYer View Post
St Michael's in Cary is also a very large parish. It's a really nice church and they also have a school, but it gets very crowded. If you live further away like I do, there are also a few other churches. My kids go to CCD in Apex.
I'll second St. Michael the Archangel on High Hope in Cary. Mass was a little different than I am used to in the Northeast, but in a very good way. The mass was upbeat and celebratory. My daughter is enrolled in their ECC program for next fall and we will be joining the parish after the first new member dinner in July. You probably won't find a Catholic Church in the area that is quite what you are used to, but after looking into a few, I think you may find it to be closest to what you are looking for. I think St. Francis is a very good church but is less "traditional" in the sense I think you mean by "traditional".

Old 05-27-2008, 04:46 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,689,532 times
Here is a previously discussed thread with some info for you to review too.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:37 PM

2,835 posts, read 7,342,526 times
St. Catherine of Sienna in Wake Forest is a very traditional Catholic Church complete with school. K-7 I believe. Please see website for details.
Home - Saint Catherine of Siena Catholic Church

Old 05-27-2008, 08:56 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,437,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnfiat View Post
We are moving to Raleigh area and need to know where the traditional Churches are. I have read a lot on another Blog quite disturbing, and am wondering if there is a holy Church in the area - one with Eucharistic Adoration and Masses during the week and also on First Friday and First Saturdays? A good Catholic school would be nice also!
Our Lady of Lourdes Church - just inside the beltline (just off six forks) - in Raleigh. I know there is an adoration chapel and I hear the current priest is more conservative/traditional than more recent pastors.
There is a K-8 school ... a Blue Ribbon School.....
olls.org - school
Also, just want to mention St. Francis (also has a school -) is known as the more "liberal" parish in the Diocese of Raleigh...........
I would google diocese of raleigh - lots of information on the parishes, schools - web links !!!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:03 PM

26 posts, read 81,577 times
I second Lourdes. My husband and I absolutely love it! It is pretty traditional and there is a Perpetual Adoration Chapel. When my husband and I have kids, we're planning to send them to OLL's school. Everything we've heard about it has been really good. It's definitely true that Catholics are in the minority in Raleigh, but it's a very good, involved, caring population and you won't face any "issues" from people. You may get curious questions from people who don't know much about the religion, but this is a very tolerant area! Welcome!!

Old 05-28-2008, 05:08 AM

445 posts, read 1,859,279 times
Based on what you said you are looking for, I don't think St. Francis is a good fit. I second the Lourdes recommendation. As stated they have an Adoration Chapel. I think all parishes have a weekday Mass. Not sure about First Saturday. Lourdes also has a good school with Mass every Friday during the school year with the kids. If you are looking for a Latin Mass, I think Sacred Heart Cathedral has it once a month at 12:00 on Sunday.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:54 PM

12 posts, read 25,834 times
Default churches

There is also St. Bernadette's in Fuquay Varina and St. Ann's in Clayton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary