Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 06:16 PM

33 posts, read 113,867 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Southfield, Michigan and went to school in Ann Arbor (go blue!). I lived all over the Metro-Detroit area - Lake Orion, Birmingham, and Deaborn right before we moved here.

Yay Red Wings!

We live in Durham, as well - but closer to Southpoint, since my husband is a bartender at one of the restaurants there. I work at the American Tobacco Campus, downtown. And yes, the homes around here have the much more Farmington/Livonia/W. Bloomfield feel to them - but nicer, with less traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 06:19 PM

338 posts, read 1,619,839 times
I've been here 11 years now...MSU alumni. Raised in Onondaga, MI (I'm sure the even the Michiganders haven't heard of this one!) I'll never forget the day that hooked me...it was the first week in January...sun shining....70 degrees in Raleigh (not typical but you will get a day here and there)....I was in jeans and a t-shirt. 2 days later I was riding my bike to class in East Lansing through 6 inches of snow. That pretty much settled it for me right then and there.

When you get here, there's an MSU Alumni club. Not tremendously active but you can always find Spartans at the Rudino's in N. Raleigh (on Strickland Rd.) watching the big games.

The only times I miss Michigan are on football Saturday's. The only things I miss are Ann Arbor farmers market, Vernors when my belly aches, Cedar Point, friends, and my ma & pa.

Old 06-01-2008, 10:30 PM

98 posts, read 511,968 times
Hi! I'm a native Grand Rapids person here. I go to NC State for grad school. I now live in Cary, and I love it. It has been listed this year as the 14th safest city in the country. You may get teased by locals because they say Cary stands for "Concentrated Area of Relocated Yankees". But... I found that to be not bad! Cary is very diverese, and VERY nice. I live in an apartment and it feels more like a condo. There really isn't a part of Cary I dislike or wouldn't recommend.

As far as Raleigh goes, the Five Points area is very quaint with a mix of large and small, old and new houses. If you know of Easttown in Grand Rapids, I would compare it to that. Very community oriented, yet historic and beautiful.

I don't know, there are a LOT of little areas in the Triangle area that are nice.

As far as your job search goes, you may find the best jobs in Durham. I actually am seeing a psychologist in Durham, and a psychiatrist in Raleigh so I guess it just depends.

Funny story: My boyfriend moved here with me, just to be with me (sweet I know), and he hasn't graduated college yet. So, he applied for warehouse jobs...and in the process of getting an interview for a warehouse job, the company noticed he had experience in graphic design and photography and they hired him to do that instead and offered to pay for school!

So, you will find a lot of great opportunities here! Good luck!

Old 06-04-2008, 01:29 PM

9 posts, read 20,831 times
OK, so where are we all meeting tonight for the Red Wings' game?

Old 06-04-2008, 02:59 PM

114 posts, read 373,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mk3013 View Post
OK, so where are we all meeting tonight for the Red Wings' game?
I am planting myself in my living room with a frosty one in front of my widescreen. That way I can live or die with every goal and penalty without scaring anyone (other than my family) Not sure they thought I was still sane after Monday's game.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:41 PM

89 posts, read 306,430 times
WOW small world for us all to be relocating to NC!!!
Im from Cali and moved to the grand rapids area of Michigan in 2002. I know what you mean about the clear blue lakes however, once youve lived on the beach in southern cali...nothing compares! But I sooo know what you mean. The green slime just doesnt cut it when you want to look out at the view lol (sorry NC)
I cant wait to relocate the end of August to Raleigh area, at least the oceans close and its a fun city!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:47 PM

69 posts, read 208,355 times
Thumbs up I'm with you TOOCOLDINMICHIGAN!

I'm WITH YA all the waaayy... with your name: TOOCOLDINMICHIGAN !!
We will be moving down this Fall! Can't BELIEVE it's only a few months away now! We decided to move last Summer... but We are both finishing school.. Not youngsters... 38 and 43 years old. We are VERY excited and terrified about this new start! We also have 5 children ranging in age from 7 - 15 ! We had to claim bankruptcy last Summer, so we figured if we're going to START OVER we could start over somewhere WARMER! So, this should be interesting...
I have ALWAYS wanted to move south! I CAN'T STAND the winters! I also get S.A.D. It's NOT good! Even lately, although it's JUNE, it's been so gray! It's just DEPRESSING! I LOVE MICHIGAN! Don't get me wrong... The ONLY thing is the winter... TOO long... and too gray. THough I WILL miss the lakes.. maybe not like some of you who have lived right near or ON them... I come from Howell. (Next to Brighton) I have traveled around to visit the lakes and LOVE going to the island! My sister worked over there for a few years, so I got to check out the "real" parts of it... JUST BEAUTIFUL! And the waters there... Been to several oceans... it's pretty darn close! Okay.. just SORTA... It's just a "safer" thing for me.... cause you can't get "lost at sea" hee hee!

Only 3 more months!!!!!!

Old 06-04-2008, 05:56 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Good luck from a 1989 Chapter 7 survivor.

Old 06-04-2008, 06:17 PM

98 posts, read 511,968 times
Hey I just moved from Michigan about a year ago. The only thing is I should warn you, (we moved in August) is that I have never felt like I *needed* air conditioning before. The humidity can be very, very treacherous.

But you'll find the winters here something to be happy about ! Its like going from fall, maybe a day of winter (a sprinkle of snow) back to spring. It's nice.

I lived about 15 minutes from Lake Michigan, so I'm definitely happy not to have lake effect. I love calling my parents and rubbing it in their faces how nice it is down here while they are having snow storms.

Good luck moving! If you need any advice or suggestions, this forum is great for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary