Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 06:51 AM

853 posts, read 419,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Relevant to the thread....
When someone says, "This may not be politically correct...," or similar, they are usually prepping the audience for a statement loaded with racial implications, or some other blatant intolerant utterance.

No one else says "politically correct." It has NO other application.
I'm beginning to understand. It generally prefaces an asinine prejudicial statement. Like "racist hicks" of Johnston County? Relevant to the thread, of course.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 07:24 AM

43,314 posts, read 77,154,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I'm beginning to understand. It generally prefaces an asinine prejudicial statement. Like "racist hicks" of Johnston County? Relevant to the thread, of course.

I think you got it.
By George, I think you got it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDSPwexlyTo

Old 12-24-2022, 07:54 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
Sigh. I wasn't going to reply because this thread has turned so insane, but let me try to stop the insanity.

. . .

I knew exactly where the thread would go when I posted that, and sure enough that's exactly where it went. It's par for the course.
That is the pattern for the huge majority of the threads you start, m378. The negativity and discontent is tiresome.

Old 12-24-2022, 08:17 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
That is the pattern for the huge majority of the threads you start, m378. The negativity and discontent is tiresome.
I did not start this thread. I posted my opinions on Morrisville which is what the OP asked about. There was nothing racist (or negative for that matter) about the post, but several others decided to pile on and turn it into something it wasn’t, which happens frequently here.

Old 12-24-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:
I did not start this thread. I posted my opinions on Morrisville which is what the OP asked about. There was nothing racist (or negative for that matter) about the post, but several others decided to pile on and turn it into something it wasn’t, which happens frequently here.

Denial does not equal innocence.

It doesn't work that way.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Denial does not equal innocence.

It doesn't work that way.
I don't know anybody here from Adam, but it's a stretch to infer racism from the post in question. There really isn't one behind every tree y'know. Bullies here ajudicating guilt or innocence of perceived prejudice are far more prevalent.

Old 12-24-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I don't know anybody here from Adam, but it's a stretch to infer racism from the post in question. There really isn't one behind every tree y'know. Bullies here ajudicating guilt or innocence of perceived prejudice are far more prevalent.

Eh.
Maybe it is just a needed lesson in proper English to present a proper thought? I'm skeptical on that point.

Maybe, as a licensed real estate agent, trained to spot stuff like that, I find it reasonable to infer nasty attitudes as the idiom and phrase coding that was used is common to racists and bigots?

His first post was a really crappy post, complete with the obligatory meh at "political correctness."
Wouldn't be a reach to refer to Mo'ville as "Little India" or the Indian residents as "Canadians."
I have heard both from "maybe not politically correct" people.

And, the "Never Retreat. Never Give an Inch" posture? I have no problem at all with the reactions he received.

Maybe I am racist? Maybe I am not?
I won't say either way, because as soon as you say or think you have to say, "I am not a racist," you are in a hole.

Old 12-24-2022, 10:29 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,302 times
Quote:
My post is quoted above. It's saying that unless your Indian and looking to live with others from the culture you're familiar with, then in my opinion, Morrisville doesn't have a ton to offer. This is my opinion because I think that much of the housing is bland, close together, and similar, there's no town center, there's a lot of airplane noise, etc. I then go on to explain what I think are the positives of Morrisville.

There is not a single thing racist about this, nor does it have any "sotto voce" tones. My "politically correct" statement was (I thought clearly) sarcasm in preparation for exactly what we ended up seeing, people making accusations about racism simply because I mentioned that there is a high population of people that have immigrated from India in that town. Again this isn't racism, this is a simple fact and it's also a fact that some people coming from India may seek to live among others from their home country, which makes Morrisville desirable to some more than others.
I think the issue is the way you said what you said regardless of what you really meant. It might help to imagine inserting "black" for "Indian" and maybe "Durham" for "Morrisville." "I don't know if this is politically correct to say, but I'm not sure I would seek out Durham specifically unless I was Black and looking to live amongst other Blacks" sounds racist AF, right?

If you thought the large Indian population might be of particular interest to someone and a reason someone might be attracted to the area, it probably would have helped to phrase it more positively. Something like "Morrisville is pretty unique in that it has a large vibrant Indian community with temples, restaurants, groceries, and events if that's of particular interest to you. Other than that though, it's nothing special and there's a lot of plane noise, so I wouldn't limit my search to there."

If you think something might come off as offensive, and you don't mean to be, and you really want to avoid conflict, then maybe just reword (or don't say it!) rather than preface it with "I don't know if this is politically correct to say." It makes it seem like you know it's wrong but are saying it anyway.

Old 12-24-2022, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Eh.
Maybe it is just a needed lesson in proper English to present a proper thought? I'm skeptical on that point.

Maybe, as a licensed real estate agent, trained to spot stuff like that, I find it reasonable to infer nasty attitudes as the idiom and phrase coding that was used is common to racists and bigots?

His first post was a really crappy post, complete with the obligatory meh at "political correctness."
Wouldn't be a reach to refer to Mo'ville as "Little India" or the Indian residents as "Canadians."
I have heard both from "maybe not politically correct" people.

And, the "Never Retreat. Never Give an Inch" posture? I have no problem at all with the reactions he received.

Maybe I am racist? Maybe I am not?
I won't say either way, because as soon as you say or think you have to say, "I am not a racist," you are in a hole.
I'm beginning to understand. Your "trained" eye allows you to discern "racists and bigots" simply from "phrase coding" and "idioms". Sorta like x-ray vision? If we can't trust realtors and car salesmen to pick this stuff out, who then?

Old 12-24-2022, 10:46 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,278,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
I think the issue is the way you said what you said regardless of what you really meant. It might help to imagine inserting "black" for "Indian" and maybe "Durham" for "Morrisville." "I don't know if this is politically correct to say, but I'm not sure I would seek out Durham specifically unless I was Black and looking to live amongst other Blacks" sounds racist AF, right?

If you thought the large Indian population might be of particular interest to someone and a reason someone might be attracted to the area, it probably would have helped to phrase it more positively. Something like "Morrisville is pretty unique in that it has a large vibrant Indian community with temples, restaurants, groceries, and events if that's of particular interest to you. Other than that though, it's nothing special and there's a lot of plane noise, so I wouldn't limit my search to there."

If you think something might come off as offensive, and you don't mean to be, and you really want to avoid conflict, then maybe just reword (or don't say it!) rather than preface it with "I don't know if this is politically correct to say." It makes it seem like you know it's wrong but are saying it anyway.
I personally don't think that sounds racist. As discussed extensively in the past in this forum, people from other cultures tend to prefer to live around people from that same culture. There's nothing wrong with that.

That being said, you're right, I could have left the little jab out. Maybe I should have. But you gotta admit it was completely acccurate. I mean look what happened here, there's two pages of people ganging up and calling me racist like we're in a middle school lunch room. I have a feeling that would have happened regardless of how it was worded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary