Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 11:20 AM

567 posts, read 958,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
I don't know anybody here from Adam, but it's a stretch to infer racism from the post in question.
Since you are not familiar with the poster in question, they have a history of comments like that one with certain undertones. It is not just a one time thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 11:25 AM

43,342 posts, read 77,198,405 times
Quote:
I'm beginning to understand. Your "trained" eye allows you to discern "racists and bigots" simply from "phrase coding" and "idioms". Sorta like x-ray vision? If we can't trust realtors and car salesmen to pick this stuff out, who then?

Now you're trolling.
Got it.

"Some of my best friends are trolls," so no worries about "political correctness."
Like Barney said to Fred: "I'm hip. I'm hip"

Old 12-24-2022, 11:32 AM

855 posts, read 421,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Now you're trolling.
Got it.

"Some of my best friends are trolls," so no worries about "political correctness."
Like Barney said to Fred: "I'm hip. I'm hip"
Now if you could just bend steel in your bare hands.............

Old 12-24-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Now if you could just bend steel in your bare hands.............

You claim I cannot?
A wager perhaps?

Some of my best friends are trolls, not that there is anything wrong with that....

Old 12-24-2022, 11:51 AM

855 posts, read 421,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
You claim I cannot?
A wager perhaps?

Some of my best friends are trolls, not that there is anything wrong with that....
Great Caesar's ghost!

Old 12-24-2022, 12:18 PM

1,327 posts, read 726,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
I personally don't think that sounds racist. As discussed extensively in the past in this forum, people from other cultures tend to prefer to live around people from that same culture. There's nothing wrong with that.
You're going to keep running into problems if you don't think that sounds racist. It sounds like you're saying if you're not a particular race, then don't live there.

And even if the latter bit is true about people liking to live around people of their own culture, my suggestion of what to say would have covered that without the racist undertones.

Quote:
That being said, you're right, I could have left the little jab out. Maybe I should have. But you gotta admit it was completely acccurate. I mean look what happened here, there's two pages of people ganging up and calling me racist like we're in a middle school lunch room. I have a feeling that would have happened regardless of how it was worded.
You got the reaction you set yourself up for. You're not as helpless as you think. You just need to open yourself up to the looking at what your role in these kinds of interactions is instead of blaming everyone else, that is unless you're actually getting the reaction you really want. In that case, just keep doing what you're doing.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Great Caesar's ghost!

So, your bet is "Great Caesar's Ghost?"

Gotta see that before I counter or go to work.
I was thinking folding money.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:48 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,284,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
You're going to keep running into problems if you don't think that sounds racist. It sounds like you're saying if you're not a particular race, then don't live there.

And even if the latter bit is true about people liking to live around people of their own culture, my suggestion of what to say would have covered that without the racist undertones.

You got the reaction you set yourself up for. You're not as helpless as you think. You just need to open yourself up to the looking at what your role in these kinds of interactions is instead of blaming everyone else, that is unless you're actually getting the reaction you really want. In that case, just keep doing what you're doing.
You don't think that's a problem, that saying <insert culture/race here> likes to live with others of the same race is considered racist? If that's racist, then we have a serious problem in society with hypersensitivity regarding race.

If I had left out the jab about political correctness and just said "I personally wouldn't move to Morrisville unless I was Indian and looking to live with other immigrants from India because <insert reasons here why I like other towns better>", I can 1000% guarantee this thread would have ended up right where it is right now. The fact that I even had to think about it before posting, is sort of sad in my opinion.

Anyhow, this thread has run it's course.

Old 12-24-2022, 01:15 PM

1,327 posts, read 726,093 times
Quote:
You don't think that's a problem, that saying <insert culture/race here> likes to live with others of the same race is considered racist? If that's racist, then we have a serious problem in society with hypersensitivity regarding race.
You're setting up a false argument here though. No one said that was racist (although the way you worded it they might have lol). They said what you said was racist which wasn't that.

Quote:
If I had left out the jab about political correctness and just said "I personally wouldn't move to Morrisville unless I was Indian and looking to live with other immigrants from India because <insert reasons here why I like other towns better>", I can 1000% guarantee this thread would have ended up right where it is right now. The fact that I even had to think about it before posting, is sort of sad in my opinion.
Yes, it may have because that's not much different from what you said. Do you really not see a difference between what you proposed here and what I suggested? "I wouldn't move to Morrisville unless I was Indian" has a particular connotation that "Morrisville has a large vibrant Indian community but is pretty dull otherwise" doesn't.

I'm sure you're not going to have some epiphany and be like "OMG ITB_OG et al, you're right! It's me! I'm the problem!," but when everyone is telling you the same thing, maybe you should consider there might be some truth to it.

Old 12-24-2022, 01:47 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,284,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post
You're setting up a false argument here though. No one said that was racist (although the way you worded it they might have lol). They said what you said was racist which wasn't that.

Yes, it may have because that's not much different from what you said. Do you really not see a difference between what you proposed here and what I suggested? "I wouldn't move to Morrisville unless I was Indian" has a particular connotation that "Morrisville has a large vibrant Indian community but is pretty dull otherwise" doesn't.

I'm sure you're not going to have some epiphany and be like "OMG ITB_OG et al, you're right! It's me! I'm the problem!," but when everyone is telling you the same thing, maybe you should consider there might be some truth to it.
Like i said before, I do not believe that I or anyone else should have to type or say something in a specific manner just because some people will turn something into something that they damn well know it's not, just for the sake of virtue signaling. I refuse to sit here and say "ok I should use this adjective and this noun instead of this one because someone might want to make an example out of what I said". That's just crazy, as is calling someone a racist when they know exactly what they meant. That word gets used way too freely these days. I have no problem with people disagreeing with me, I'm always up for discussing opinions and facts. However I'm not ok with people putting words in my mouth in an attempt to make themselves look holier than thou, and personally attacking me in the process.

Not everyone is telling me the same thing - my reps and DM's always tell a different story. The problem is people are afraid to say anything for this exact reason. In my time here, I know of several that have left completely, or just lurk because of things like this thread. It's sad and unfortunate that some previous posters/regulars don't post because of this. Discussion forums aren't fun or educational when it's a giant echo chamber.

Happy holidays everyone, even those that claim I'm a racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary