Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 03:39 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,284,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieRTP View Post
The lesson is that the "teachers" in this post are bullies and have no idea of the hypocrisy of their claims.
You can’t be serious lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 03:40 PM

855 posts, read 420,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m378 View Post
You can’t be serious lol
Strangely enough, I think he is.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:00 AM

4,564 posts, read 3,765,170 times
Some of this bickering misses a big point in how great it is to live in this country. I'm from a large joint Greek and Indian family (immigrants) and it's amazing that if someone wants to live with other Greeks (like the Tampa suburbs where it's so "fobby") they can and if they don't, then don't. And if the Indian family my brother married into wants to live with other Indians (wherever that is in the country), they can if they want to and if you don't, then don't.

A lot of the kids born here in the US to these Greek and Indian immigrants would rather die than live in Morrisville or Tampa and want to instead just live wherever it's a nice neighborhood and not keep race in mind (like some of you on this thread always advocate for).

But look how cool it is that you have this option in this country. That doesn't make it any less American. I guarantee you that if Greece ever was a "land of opportunity" and people immigrated there, many of you would want to be with Americans speaking English in an American accent that ate hamburgers, fries and sesame chicken.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:08 AM

855 posts, read 420,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post
Some of this bickering misses a big point in how great it is to live in this country. I'm from a large joint Greek and Indian family (immigrants) and it's amazing that if someone wants to live with other Greeks (like the Tampa suburbs where it's so "fobby") they can and if they don't, then don't. And if the Indian family my brother married into wants to live with other Indians (wherever that is in the country), they can if they want to and if you don't, then don't.

A lot of the kids born here in the US to these Greek and Indian immigrants would rather die than live in Morrisville or Tampa and want to instead just live wherever it's a nice neighborhood and not keep race in mind (like some of you on this thread always advocate for).

But look how cool it is that you have this option in this country. That doesn't make it any less American. I guarantee you that if Greece ever was a "land of opportunity" and people immigrated there, many of you would want to be with Americans speaking English in an American accent that ate hamburgers, fries and sesame chicken.
Well said. Cultural and/or racial diversity is intrinsically neither good nor bad. Some prefer it and some don't. It's simply a personal choice and nobody else's business.

Old 12-28-2022, 08:46 AM

1,326 posts, read 725,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Universe93B View Post

Funny, I was just watching My Greek Table earlier this morning and wishing I could live in Greece by the sea and eat Greek food the rest of my life.

Anyway, I agree that everyone who comes to this country doesn't want the same thing. I know plenty of people that came here that didn't necessarily want to live in a tight community of people from the same country, and some that even specifically avoided that. I also know those that sought that kind of thing out but their kids usually less so.

I think some people assume because there are towns like Morrisville with high populations of people from certain countries and their families or there are Chinatowns and Little Italys around that people who come here from other countries must want to stick together. But those large concentrations are just easier to see than all the people who made different choices.

I think it's fair to say that someone saying "<insert culture/race here> likes to live with others of the same race" as someone did earlier is at very least inaccurate.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITB_OG View Post

I think it's fair to say that someone saying "<insert culture/race here> likes to live with others of the same race" as someone did earlier is at very least inaccurate.
You’re taking that out of context. Nobody said that all Indians always like to live amongst other Indians. What was said was that Morrisville may be a place that people immigrating from India may seek to live if they’re looking to live amongst others that have also immigrated from India. I think there is a tendency to seek that out for ANY immigrant, and I think that’s perfectly normal and fine.

Last edited by m378; 12-28-2022 at 09:25 AM..

Old 12-28-2022, 09:40 AM

Quote:
You’re taking that out of context.
It was your own paraphrase, so I used it too. You also seemed to argue that it was not racist hence the point I made.

Quote:
What was said was that Morrisville may be a place that people immigrating from India may seek to live if they’re looking to live amongst others that have also immigrated from India.
What you said was "I don't know if this is politically correct to say, but I'm not sure I would seek out Morrisville specifically unless I was Indian and looking to live amongst other Indians" to the OP that had not mentioned being Indian or wanting to live around other Indians.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
It was your own paraphrase, so I used it too. You also seemed to argue that it was not racist hence the point I made.

What you said was "I don't know if this is politically correct to say, but I'm not sure I would seek out Morrisville specifically unless I was Indian and looking to live amongst other Indians" to the OP that had not mentioned being Indian or wanting to live around other Indians.
Around and around we go.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Around and around we go.
You started it I didn't quote you specifically in the post YOU responded to, so you could have just dropped it if you wanted.

Old 12-28-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
You started it I didn't quote you specifically in the post YOU responded to, so you could have just dropped it if you wanted.
Yes you did quote me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary