Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2022, 03:52 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times

Advertisements

With all of the nearby farm land giving way to new subdivisions and neighborhoods, remnants to the past lie just underfoot.

In agricultural fields especially where the soil is turned pretty regularly, all over the Triangle, NC and likely the entire East Coast....

The ground is full of arrowheads that were used on bows and arrows to hunt and kill evening dinner.

Fashioned by Native Americans I presume, there are thousands lying in the dirt all over every county nearby.

My father has collected them for ss long as I can remember, and here are a few of the honed tips that would be strapped or pushed into the end of sticks and shot at prey with a bow:

arrowhreads by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2022, 08:00 PM

316 posts, read 180,216 times
That's pretty cool. I've never picked up one from the ground before. Where might I find one if I were to look?

Old 12-27-2022, 07:12 AM

9,265 posts, read 8,266,348 times
Very cool

Old 12-27-2022, 01:29 PM

1,736 posts, read 2,572,650 times
We found a few nice arrowheads at our place on Indian Wells Road back in the 1980's.
BTW, there were once Indian Wells on that road.

Old 12-28-2022, 06:43 AM

1,309 posts, read 2,938,350 times
At our farm in Illinois I would always find arrowheads, scrapers, flint pieces, etc. after a heavy rain just laying on top of the soil as if someone placed them there. I'll have to start looking again.

Old 12-28-2022, 01:03 PM

281 posts, read 187,264 times
Lot of Indians used to live around here, so that's not surprising. Cool artifacts you have there.

Old 12-28-2022, 02:17 PM

316 posts, read 180,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n24scube View Post
Lot of Indians used to live around here, so that's not surprising. Cool artifacts you have there.
Morrisville?

Old 12-28-2022, 05:39 PM

1,063 posts, read 906,196 times
just about any creekside or riverbank has arrowheads imbedded nearby.
rejects/damaged and "junkpile" flintwork is common East of the Mississippi.
(sort of like Indo-European pottery left-overs are numerous across the Atlantic)
bottom line: what i usually find is a Native American trash dump
with a very few examples of intact symmetry or artistry.

Old 12-28-2022, 11:04 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n24scube View Post
Can anyone believe that we allowed this misnomer term to linger as long as it has?

I think my father used to find them in ploughed fields and while hunting in rural counties surrounding the Triangle.

We also used to go (as kids with my Dad) to where the town dump was located during the 1800's to early 1900's and dig up old bottles with cork tops. That was the requirement to keep them.

We still have thousands of old linament bottles and even Listerine bottles that used cork stopper tops.

Any town in NC with an old downtown probably has an old trash dump location nearby with antique bottles 1'-5' feet below the surface. You can get cut, so have a first aid kit or a bottle of whiskey on hand to disinfect any small cut, lol.

listerinebottle by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr

Last edited by architect77; 12-28-2022 at 11:14 PM..

Old 01-04-2023, 01:10 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,296,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Can anyone believe that we allowed this misnomer term to linger as long as it has?

I think my father used to find them in ploughed fields and while hunting in rural counties surrounding the Triangle.

We also used to go (as kids with my Dad) to where the town dump was located during the 1800's to early 1900's and dig up old bottles with cork tops. That was the requirement to keep them.

We still have thousands of old linament bottles and even Listerine bottles that used cork stopper tops.

Any town in NC with an old downtown probably has an old trash dump location nearby with antique bottles 1'-5' feet below the surface. You can get cut, so have a first aid kit or a bottle of whiskey on hand to disinfect any small cut, lol.

listerinebottle by Stephen Edwards, on Flickr
Cool thread! Thanks for posting.

I grew up in Charlotte, and our house was on an old Plantation site. We had a neighbor who used to garden (small farm, almost) and he used to turn up old Horse Shoes, Square Nails and such.

When I was even younger, I lived in Western PA and I recall visiting Arrowhead collectors with framed collections like the one in your OP.

That Listerine Bottle is very cool. We've come a long way from that, to having 100's of 64oz, plastic "multi-packs' on the shelf of every chain store. (Long way, not necessarily good or bad.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary